Read 303 times

Looking to tutor - Any Tips?
« on: June 02, 2020, 08:38:23 am »
Hiya, I'm looking to tutor full time in a few weeks. I've got an F-6, I expect it'll be full time until I start a masters degree when it'll become more part time. I did a year at a middle school so I know how to plan a lesson.

Any tutors got an tips or experiences to share?

I'm going to Kyobo today to research books for elementary students who are my main targets, and an adult student my wife's brother hooked me up with. I'll be making notes on books and customising for both.

I've researched prices, calendars, cancellations policies and reddit threads, but I could really use people's thoughts.

• jimskins
  • Adventurer

• July 02, 2014, 12:34:19 pm
    • Paju
Re: Looking to tutor - Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:18:01 pm »
In terms of money, please do not charge less than 50k an hour or you are hurting us all.  Make sure you get each month's pay upfront.  If you can, teaching a pair of students at a time is ideal (but charge accordingly -60-70k, don't stick to your usual hourly rate).

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:16:53 pm »
In terms of money, please do not charge less than 50k an hour or you are hurting us all.  Make sure you get each month's pay upfront.  If you can, teaching a pair of students at a time is ideal (but charge accordingly -60-70k, don't stick to your usual hourly rate).

I'd say charge what you think you're worth. I personally wouldn't pay someone with a year's experience and (I assume) an online TEFL 50 k an hour. Would you?  I assume when you get your masters you'll want more than someone in your current position. 

• maclarent1337
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2019, 07:09:51 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 01:28:44 pm »
I'd say charge what you think you're worth. I personally wouldn't pay someone with a year's experience and (I assume) an online TEFL 50 k an hour. Would you?  I assume when you get your masters you'll want more than someone in your current position. 

Trueeeeeee~

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:18:37 pm »
Since when does the ESL market in Korea give a shit about financial ethics? Do hagwon bosses pay their NETs 'what they're worth?'

I agree fully that we should be protecting each other from undercutting. It's a free market and people charge/spend whatever they want. No one's forcing Minsu's mom to hire a noob.