Read 3372 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Your 2020 Korean Summer Holiday Plan
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2020, 05:30:16 pm »
oh dear LIC. it seems you have the reading comprehension of a chimp. in OP's first paragraph of his first post he's clearly talking about vacationing within korea. maybe all that sunshine in the tropics has frazzled your already-shrivelled brain

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2020, 05:43:01 pm »
Well, can't speak for others, but I'm starting getting things sorted for 3 probable spots, one definite spot (3 islands and a mountain park...), and a couple of Plan B & Plan C possibles (1 island and another mountain park). Going to have to get tickets for transport, and accommodation, set up in the next two weeks.

Will update if/when necessary should others want to check them out.

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2020, 07:50:45 pm »
Maybe southeast of the country like Andong, Daegu, Gyeongju, and Ulsan? these places look nice

Andong and Gyeongju are genuinely nice and are perhaps the best tourist towns in Korea. Very laid back and picturesque. Ulsan is a hellhole, so is Yeosu.

I lived in Daegu for three years, I'm not sure why anyone would go there as a tourist. If you do go, Palgongsan is just North of the city and is a nice visit. The temple is pretty cool and the cable car is decent if it's not completely crowded.

There is another cool temple west of Daegu, can't remember the name though.

Another nice tourist town is Danyang. The major temple near there (can't remember the name) is one of the coolest places I've been to in Korea.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 07:02:43 am »
i recommend beautiful breezy busan  8)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2020, 08:26:46 am »
Andong and Gyeongju are genuinely nice and are perhaps the best tourist towns in Korea. Very laid back and picturesque. Ulsan is a hellhole, so is Yeosu.
Yeosu is much nicer than Andong. Andong has industrial and commercial mixed with residential. It is a mess.

Seogwipo City on Jeju has orchards, waterfalls and the best part of the coastal Olle trail.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2020, 08:57:32 am »

Another nice tourist town is Danyang. The major temple near there (can't remember the name) is one of the coolest places I've been to in Korea.

Guinsa.

Yeosu is much nicer than Andong. Andong has industrial and commercial mixed with residential. It is a mess.

Yeah, Yeosu was great. I'm going back this September to camp for 4 days.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2020, 09:33:48 am »
I can't shake the thought that almost anywhere in Korea is going to be rammed in August. I'd like 2-3 nights in a beach town but the thought of a town filled with rash guard, parasol holding, dried squid eating tourists just sounds like hell.

The Maldives have opened so might hit that on the way home.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2020, 09:44:34 am »
"Fishing Boat" and "Disputed Waters" sounds like a good combo.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2020, 09:54:42 am »
oh dear LIC. it seems you have the reading comprehension of a chimp. in OP's first paragraph of his first post he's clearly talking about vacationing within korea. maybe all that sunshine in the tropics has frazzled your already-shrivelled brain

I was going by the title braniac. I read gooder than yoo.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2020, 12:08:04 pm »
Well, can't speak for others, but I'm starting getting things sorted for 3 probable spots, one definite spot (3 islands and a mountain park...), and a couple of Plan B & Plan C possibles (1 island and another mountain park).

Very cryptic Titus.  Like 'National Treasure'.

I've settled on something too.  Near a national park in Jeolla.  A house with a veranda for spending the evenings sitting outside and eating al fresco, but with plenty of things to do nearby.  So fingers crossed won't be too busy.  I'm hoping that most Koreans will be heading to the coasts, leaving the middle bit empty.

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2020, 12:15:17 pm »
Very cryptic Titus.  Like 'National Treasure'.

I've settled on something too.  Near a national park in Jeolla.  A house with a veranda for spending the evenings sitting outside and eating al fresco, but with plenty of things to do nearby.  So fingers crossed won't be too busy.  I'm hoping that most Koreans will be heading to the coasts, leaving the middle bit empty.

I am looking for something like that. I want to get a nice airbnb, but also somewhere with an outdoor grill. I always have a tough time finding what I want under 200 a night. I  am also a bit concered with how well the place will actually be cleaned, not just cleaned up.

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2020, 09:43:32 pm »
If I can figure out a way to post photos here I can show some of my options...

Unfortunately, my one and only attempt to upload photos ended in ignominious failure...kind of gun shy now.

Did I mention that I am officially a Neo-Luddite...?

• charliefaith
  • Newgookin

• September 03, 2017, 06:59:57 am
    • Geochang, South Korea
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2020, 01:50:13 pm »
I'm at two schools and they're completely out of synch for the summer vacation  :cry:

School 1: July 30th - August 17th
School 2: August 15th -  September 1st

School 2 breaks up on Friday 15th Aug and School 1 comes back again on Monday 17th  :sad:

So what are you going to do? I'm in the same boat and am trying to figure out a solution. I may not take summer vacation and instead leave all my days for winter, but winter is the same - one school starts vacation as the other finishes. But I have 26 days to use and no real way to use them without missing work.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2020, 02:06:25 pm »
Your vacation days supercede your camp days. If there aren't enough days for both your vacation and for camps, then according to the contract, the camps must be cancelled.

Of course, on the other hand, the scheduling of camps takes precedence over the scheduling of your vacation. The school can decide to have camps whenever and leave you with fragmented vacation dates, so long as they leave you your allotted number (26 for most EPIK teachers now).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2020, 02:07:08 pm »

So what are you going to do? I'm in the same boat and am trying to figure out a solution. I may not take summer vacation and instead leave all my days for winter, but winter is the same - one school starts vacation as the other finishes. But I have 26 days to use and no real way to use them without missing work.

Go by main schools schedule. Someone will have to give at some point, and it is your main school that decides renewals (if you worry about that). Plus, you deserve a break if you want one in summer, and unused vacation days don't carry over in a renewal, and don't get paid out.