Read 3373 times

Your 2020 Korean Summer Holiday Plan
« on: June 01, 2020, 07:25:25 am »
So. at the moment, this summer, travel out of Korea looks almost impossible without a mandatory 2 week self-quarantine on return.  Add in public schools have much shorter summer holidays.  So there may only be the chance to take a short break somewhere in Korea during the summer.  I've kind of got used to this idea, which is fine.  Usually, I'd go back to Europe and see my family and rent a house somewhere and enjoy the local things for a week.  Obviously at these times, I'd love to see my family, but that's not possible this summer. 

So I thought I'd make a thread about what you're thinking of doing and also if you have recommendations for others to do. 

I've got a possible week and a half holiday at the moment, but I don't really want to take all of that so may just add a 3-day Wednesday-Friday plus the weekend and have that as my holiday.  Then, I'll move most of the rest of my paid leave over to my winter holiday and hope that travel restrictions are relaxed by then.  As I like to be out in the middle of nowhere, I was looking at heading up to 'Gangwon-do' to somewhere like 'Odaesan', or going down to 'Jirisan' for some hiking.  Although, I live in Chungnam, the beaches on the west coast can get kind of busy so I'd probably want to avoid them in the summer season as I expect the majority of the Koreans will be not travelling abroad either, meaning that the usual busy holiday places will be busier than normal.  Hence, wanting to go somewhere quieter like Gangwon-do or Jirisan. 

As for recommendations. I've been to most places around Korea and there are some truly wonderful places to visit.  My favourite place is the island of Ullreungdo in the east.  If it's safe to do so this summer, then that is a place that should be on someone's list.  Pumpkin makkeoili was rife when I was there, leading to the sickness by over-indulgence of other teachers. 

https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264149

Also on the opposite side of Korea, there is 'Byeonsanban-do' just south of Gunsan.  Lovely hiking around there and there is 'Naesosa' too. 

http://english.knps.or.kr/Knp/Byeonsanbando/Intro/Introduction.aspx?MenuNum=1&Submenu=Npp

And Geoje is also lovely to visit.  Beaches, museums and there is the island of Oedo, which is a kind of Botanical gardens. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoje
https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264203

Hopefully, by the summer, there won't be any huge spikes here so that people can take fairly normal holidays.  So if you have any recommendations or anything.....

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Your 2020 Korean Summer Holiday Plan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 07:45:30 am »
Gyeongju Camping in Aug, Yeosu camping in Sep!

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 07:59:04 am »
Traffic Armageddon Summer 2020. It is going to be nuts, I'm not going more than an hour from our house.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:06:37 am »
Traffic Armageddon Summer 2020. It is going to be nuts, I'm not going more than an hour from our house.

So............ to the local Emart?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:25:42 am »
So............ to the local Emart?

If I could use my stimulus money there I would. As it stands straight to Nonghyup mart. :P

Yeosu camping is in my backyard, luckily lots of beaches and swim hole in the vicinity.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:30:21 am by thunderlips »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 08:47:25 am »
Relax at home / start packing and cleaning, thanks to the potential layoffs in JLP

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 09:39:59 am »
Do not plan on Ulleongdo. The ferry tickets are limited and also the accomodation options on the island. They will charge an arm and a leg for even less than mediocre minbaks.
The current situation will not change my summer plans at all. I will do what I've been doing for the last 10 years: camping at a beach. I've only ever had a week off in the summer. And even that one is during the period when every single soul in the country is on vacation. I won't pay twice the normal price for a flight ticket. Nor for some crappy pension. One should try to avoid going anywhere on Aug. 1st 2nd and 3rd and maybe a day before and after that. That is when the whole country is on vacation.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:48:32 am by Lazio »

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 09:59:51 am »
Do not plan on Ulleongdo. The ferry tickets are limited and also the accomodation options on the island. They will charge an arm and a leg for even less than mediocre minbaks.
The current situation will not change my summer plans at all. I will do what I've been doing for the last 10 years: camping at a beach. I've only ever had a week off in the summer. And even that one is during the period when every single soul in the country is on vacation. I won't pay twice the normal price for a flight ticket. Nor for some crappy pension. One should try to avoid going anywhere on Aug. 1st 2nd and 3rd and maybe a day before and after that. That is when the whole country is on vacation.

My school's amended calendar has our holiday from August 19th through to the 30th.  So hopefully that would miss the busy holiday period.  Not sure what other schools have.  I suppose the Seoul/Gyeonggi is the big one to avoid. 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 10:11:56 am »
Avoid Jeju. Have mates there and they say it's already been rammed. Maybe less so now that schools have 'gone back'.

Can only imagine the hell on earth it will be during vacation time.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 11:47:39 am »
I'm kind of lucky this year since all of my summer camps have been canceled, and my vacation is scheduled for much later in the month than the norm.

Still, I don't want to deal with any crowds, so I want to try to find an off-the-beaten path kind of place that has a small but decent resort surrounded by wilderness with lots and lots of hiking. No beaches for me this year.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 12:34:16 pm »
My school's amended calendar has our holiday from August 19th through to the 30th.  So hopefully that would miss the busy holiday period.  Not sure what other schools have.  I suppose the Seoul/Gyeonggi is the big one to avoid. 

I think many schools will be around the same Aug 12th -30th period

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 01:30:37 pm »

Mine is scheduled from August 1st to 6th.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 01:50:28 pm »

Monday August 3rd - 17th is mine (11 working days off)

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 01:54:01 pm »
31st July - 24th August (3 Weeks)
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 02:15:07 pm »
I'm at two schools and they're completely out of synch for the summer vacation  :cry:

School 1: July 30th - August 17th
School 2: August 15th -  September 1st

School 2 breaks up on Friday 15th Aug and School 1 comes back again on Monday 17th  :sad:
I never finish anyth

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 02:27:07 pm »
We've been going to Goseong, just up from Sokcho for the past 12 years. Usually 3 or 4 times a year, staying a week or more for summer.
The motel owner phoned my wife the other day and told her to avoid coming until after August. Reckons it's going to be crazy. Bookings are way up.
So, I guess sometime early September for us. We might go to Jeju instead, though. Our youngest daughter moved down 2 years ago and while my wife makes regular trips, I have yet to visit. The guilt's killing me.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 02:31:17 pm »
We've been going to Goseong, just up from Sokcho

This is the result when you google Goseong and I thought I'd buy you a compass for your birthday, haha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goseong_County,_South_Gyeongsang

But seriously, what's so great up there? I've been to Sokcho and it was great, Goseong is worth the trek?

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 02:37:04 pm »
I'm planning on doing a two-week-ish road trip around the country and trying to see some of the most backwater, unvisited places I can find. I don't really care where, but just want to go exploring. I'm really into rare, regional food that maybe only one town makes or something. And also really into tasting the difference between region of all the food.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 02:48:09 pm »
This is the result when you google Goseong and I thought I'd buy you a compass for your birthday, haha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goseong_County,_South_Gyeongsang

But seriously, what's so great up there? I've been to Sokcho and it was great, Goseong is worth the trek?

I've been there and I'm interested to know the answer to this.