Read 10482 times

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: How to get over bitterness about Korea?...or do you?
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:07 am »
I am not here to educate the “UK has no racism” crowd. Their opinion won’t be swayed by facts and anecdotes. Their deepest feelings seem ingrained and unable to be changed. Colburnn’s trash talking of Megan Markle, case in point.

A “YouGov” poll came out recently with 6% saying that the UK is not a racist country.

As far as me being middle-class, my father was a steelworker for many years.

Although that may be true, there are other people reading this thread that might be more open-minded. In most debates your audience isn't the person you're arguing with.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2020, 11:51:25 am »
Gonna delete all the ad hominen posts, as they don't contribute to the topic at hand.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2020, 11:55:09 am »
I think the UK is less racist than it was decades ago.

But I’m not following Colburnn’s narrative that it’s all wonderful and rosy for people of color.

That isn't my narrative...

It's not all wonderful and rosy for many people. Black, white or anything in between. The fact that things are not rosy for these people is not down to their skin tone. It is down to their life choices, their character, their work ethic, their morals and a whole host of other factors. Deciding it is because they have dark skin is so bloody offensive.

I'm black and poor so that means the whole country is racist. Get the f out of here with the degrading horse crap. The UK is one of the greatest places to live as it is a melting pot. Why are people moving there in their millions if it is such a racist place? Yeah, it's not. It's an awesome place to live for anyone from anywhere. (although a little rainy)
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

TDS - Hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs rational thought processes.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #323 on: July 01, 2020, 01:19:34 pm »
Although that may be true, there are other people reading this thread that might be more open-minded. In most debates your audience isn't the person you're arguing with.

You do seem willing to be engaged.

My position is that racism exists in the UK to a higher degree than Colburnn’s “not at all”.

I do not like to comment on a position that there is little racism or that it is not systemic because I have never been affected by racism. How can I say that life is good and fair for people of color?

What I can do is read articles and personal opinions from people who have been affected by racism and try to form an opinion.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2020, 01:32:53 pm »

My position is that racism exists in the UK to a higher degree than Colburnn’s “not at all”.

That isn't my position. Why do you keep missing what my position is intentionally?

There are racists (of all shape and colour) who live within the UK (and in every single country in the World). The UK itself is not only not racist, it is perhaps one of the most diverse, accepting and non-racist countries that exist on the planet.

You have yet to provide a shred of proof to back up your accusation.

TDS - Hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs rational thought processes.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #325 on: July 01, 2020, 01:34:42 pm »
Did you read that crap in the Daily Mail?

No, I read about her behavior and her conduct and came to my own common sense conclusions.  Princess pushy isn't just a nickname.  Will Harry get divorced someday and come crawling back is the 64 million dollar question or will he be like his great great uncle Edward VIII? 

(Waygook didn't show my original comment on Princess Pushy.  Anyways, here's my reply.)

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #326 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:32 pm »
What I can do is read articles and personal opinions from people who have been affected by racism and try to form an opinion.

Mostly written by public school/Oxbridge educated black equivalents of the redditgate woman

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #327 on: July 01, 2020, 02:17:56 pm »
“The UK is not racist, at all.”

I believe, Colburnn, those are your words.

My point is that the UK is not all racist but it is not something to be marginalized or trivialized. But I can see from the “Megan=bitch, Diana=angel” crowd that there is no room for debate.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #328 on: July 01, 2020, 02:26:43 pm »
“The UK is not racist, at all.”

I believe, Colburnn, those are your words.

My point is that the UK is not all racist but it is not something to be marginalized or trivialized. But I can see from the “Megan=bitch, Diana=angel” crowd that there is no room for debate.

The UK isn't racist, at all.

You need me to say it again?

The Rotherham grooming gangs are racist as all hell but they are not 'The UK', and they are brown, not white. There are racist gangs in London who commit hate crimes against white people, they are black. They are not 'The UK'. 'The UK' as a country and the people as a national community is and are not racist. It is one of the most accepting and diverse countries in the World. There are no racist policies. There are no racists in power. There are individuals everywhere in the world who are racist.

Princess Diana sucked up the shit storm that was her relationship with Charles as it was the correct thing to do as a mother to the future King of England and as a representative of the Royal Family. Meghan disrespected the Queen and the country in order to push feminist bile and other progressive nonsense.

Read carefully this time... It. Had. Nothing. To. Do. With. Her. Skin. Colour. There is room for debate, but you keep bringing skin colour into it for no reason whatsoever.

You must be trolling at this point.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:29:50 pm by Colburnnn »

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2020, 02:47:11 pm »
You do seem willing to be engaged.

I do not like to comment on a position that there is little racism or that it is not systemic because I have never been affected by racism. How can I say that life is good and fair for people of color?

That isn't my position. Why do you keep missing what my position is intentionally?

There are racists (of all shape and colour) who live within the UK (and in every single country in the World). The UK itself is not only not racist, it is perhaps one of the most diverse, accepting and non-racist countries that exist on the planet.

You have yet to provide a shred of proof to back up your accusation.

Okay, so what I'm getting here is that you think Colburnnn is downplaying racism in the UK and Colburnnn thinks that you are exaggerating it.

Since we can all agree that individual racists exist in the UK (as in any country), I guess the next question would be: does institutional racism exist in the UK? Are instances of racism caused by unsavory individuals, or are they indicative of a greater overall trend? 

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2020, 03:35:38 pm »
Since we can all agree that individual racists exist in the UK (as in any country), I guess the next question would be: does institutional racism exist in the UK? Are instances of racism caused by unsavory individuals, or are they indicative of a greater overall trend?

Depends how you measure it. If you're a believer in racism of the gaps, it's probably quite easy to find statistics that back up your convictions. if you have to show that a particular institution is behaving in a racist way towards a certain group (in the way Harvard deliberately discriminated against Asians, for example), it'll be a lot tougher. 

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2020, 03:47:53 pm »
I never thought I'd post a defense of any members of the Royal Family, but this really is worth seeing:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

Other publications have done similar side-by-sides and there are many more examples of this. Combine this with headlines like "Harry's girl is (almost) straight outta Compton: Gang scarred home of her mother revealed — so will he be dropping by for tea?" and you might think there was something about that girl, other than her personality, that struck the tabloids as unfit for royalty.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2020, 03:53:48 pm »
Yes I was just going to add that the Meghan business as also kind of like racism of the gaps since they found some evidence that the press didn't like her as much as Kate and immediately put it down to racism. No mention was made of Fergie or Camilla Parker Bowls of course, who they treated even worse.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:51:14 pm by stoat »

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2020, 04:03:45 pm »
if you have to show that a particular institution is behaving in a racist way towards a certain group (in the way Harvard deliberately discriminated against Asians, for example), it'll be a lot tougher.

Harvard Does Not Discriminate Against Asian-Americans in Admissions, Judge Rules

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/harvard-admissions-lawsuit.html

That lawsuit and its surrounding controversy were a trojan horse for other agendas. The lawyer, Edward Blum, is a long-time conservative activist who keeps mounting and losing court cases related to affirmative action in the hopes of generating publicity and pushing one of the cases through to the Supreme Court.

Blum's Abigail Fisher case is representative of the whole scam.

In 2008, the year Fisher sent in her application, competition to get into the crown jewel of the Texas university system was stiff. Students entering through the university's Top 10 program — a mechanism that granted automatic admission to any teen who graduated in the upper 10 percent of his or her high school class — claimed 92 percent of the in-state spots.

Fisher said in news reports that she hoped for the day universities selected students "solely based on their merit and if they work hard for it." But Fisher failed to graduate in the top 10 percent of her class, meaning she had to compete for the limited number of spaces up for grabs.

She and other applicants who did not make the cut were evaluated based on two scores. One allotted points for grades and test scores. The other, called a personal achievement index, awarded points for two required essays, leadership, activities, service and "special circumstances." Those included socioeconomic status of the student or the student's school, coming from a home with a single parent or one where English wasn't spoken. And race.

Those two scores, combined, determine admission.

Even among those students, Fisher did not particularly stand out. Court records show her grade point average (3.59) and SAT scores (1180 out of 1600) were good but not great for the highly selective flagship university. The school's rejection rate that year for the remaining 841 openings was higher than the turn-down rate for students trying to get into Harvard.

As a result, university officials claim in court filings that even if Fisher received points for her race and every other personal achievement factor, the letter she received in the mail still would have said no.

It's true that the university, for whatever reason, offered provisional admission to some students with lower test scores and grades than Fisher. Five of those students were black or Latino. Forty-two were white.

Neither Fisher nor Blum mentioned those 42 applicants in interviews. Nor did they acknowledge the 168 black and Latino students with grades as good as or better than Fisher's who were also denied entry into the university that year. Also left unsaid is the fact that Fisher turned down a standard UT offer under which she could have gone to the university her sophomore year if she earned a 3.2 GPA at another Texas university school in her freshman year.

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-colorblind-constitution-what-abigail-fishers-affirmative-action-case-is-r

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:08 pm »
Yes, Like I said, very tough to prove.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #337 on: July 01, 2020, 08:36:31 pm »
If someone  can come up and say in all seriousness that Asians aren't generally better at school than other groups because she once knew an Asian who was dumb, can we be surprised that people are on the streets protesting at the George Floyd murder? This is the level of cognitive ability we're talking about.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:41:08 pm by stoat »

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »
Yes I was just going to add that the Meghan business as also kind of like racism of the gaps since they found some evidence that the press didn't like her as much as Kate and immediately put it down to racism. No mention was made of Fergie or Camilla Parker Bowls of course, who they treated even worse.

Keep telling yourself that. The British Press has vilified Meghan Markle. I loved this comment that someone else wrote on the whole Kate vs Meghan press treatment.

"With everything the press did to Diana they should've counted their blessings Harry just chose a black woman to marry, it could've been a black man. Hell, if I were him I'd have done that, marry a black dude for a couple years, divorce and start dating Meghan afterward, everybody in the UK would be kissing the floor she steps on by now."

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #339 on: July 01, 2020, 08:55:21 pm »
Keep telling yourself that. The British Press has vilified Meghan Markle. I loved this comment that someone else wrote on the whole Kate vs Meghan press treatment.

"With everything the press did to Diana they should've counted their blessings Harry just chose a black woman to marry, it could've been a black man. Hell, if I were him I'd have done that, marry a black dude for a couple years, divorce and start dating Meghan afterward, everybody in the UK would be kissing the floor she steps on by now."

So do you just automatically assume that every time a white person or a predominantly white institution in the UK criticises a black person it's because of their colour? I mean if I said now that i think David Lammy is an idiot, for example, would you immediately think i was racist? do you really think most UK people give that much of a crap about skin colour?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:00:04 pm by stoat »