Read 15773 times

Re: How to get over bitterness about Korea?...or do you?
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:21 pm »
I mean, your comments are still up, aren't they?  :wink:

No

Does your wife submit to you?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2020, 12:37:30 pm »
You've just mentioned a personal attack now, you didn't mention it when you were explaining why you deleted all the posts.
"Arguments that might result in hard feelings" would seem to cover that, I'd assume.
Still, you have a point.
I'll draw up something nice and legal sounding that covers everything next time a thread is sanitized.
I've always wanted to be a lawyer.

No

453/457 is a cool 99.1%!
That score probably has me beat lol.

Still, you're right. I'll rephrase: "Most  of your comments are still up, aren't they?  :wink:"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:42:15 pm by kyndo »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2020, 12:39:06 pm »
"Arguments that might result in hard feelings" would seem to cover that, I'd assume.
Still, you have a point.
I'll draw up something nice and legal sounding that covers everything next time a thread is sanitized.
I've always wanted to be a lawyer.

Knowing you on here, you might actually be someone to do this.

Or you're being completely sarcaustic.

반반 ㅎㅎ
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »
Kyndo, lawyering? Weren't you a kewl Maths geek, only a few days  ago?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:42:27 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2020, 12:42:47 pm »
No, that was yesterday, your honour!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2020, 12:44:53 pm »
I'm now tempted to change that to my user name. 

Well, I changed mine from my real name to CO2 ages ago but that really doesn't seem to matter now. hahahaha

Just ask Kyndo.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2020, 01:02:06 pm »
"Arguments that might result in hard feelings" would seem to cover that, I'd assume. No it doesn't
Still, you have a point.
I'll draw up something nice and legal sounding that covers everything next time a thread is sanitized.  It sounds like you're being sarcastic to me too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:04:20 pm by stoat »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2020, 01:07:05 pm »
Just keep your eye out on the next dumpster fire thread.  :smiley:

Re: How to get over bitterness about mods?...or do you?
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2020, 01:43:30 pm »
How to get over the bitterness about mods...or do you?   :lipsrsealed:

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2020, 07:29:04 am »
That thread where Aristocrat was offering to meet that other guy to clean his clock was a classic. Especially when written in that "ponderous dumbass" style that he's got down to a tee.
oo oo ahh ahh

« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2020, 09:15:54 am »
I'm now tempted to change that to my user name. 

Make a sock before someone snatches the opportunity away from you.

« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2020, 12:27:26 am »
I never had any. (<--- admin, please add this emoticon, it deserves to be here)

Iím pretty sure you already have access to the one emoji that expresses anything worth expressing.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2020, 08:24:58 pm »
I'm in the middle of the bitterness wave at the moment. As everyone did, I came to Korea very excited. But the past couple of weeks, the culture shock has started to hit me. Everything seems to annoy me. The big things, such as the strict age hierarchy, the pace of everyday life, the cold attitudes of people on the street.

Then there are the small things, like store cashiers never seeming to understand my Korean even though I'm doing my best to learn. Ajumma cutting you off diagonally while walking in the store. Things like that

I did have a realization that I'm probably in the worst of the culture shock waves at the moment, and things can only get better from here

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2020, 01:05:43 pm »
Then there are the small things, like store cashiers never seeming to understand my Korean even though I'm doing my best to learn.
This is pretty common, and if your pronunciation isn't close to one of the many native Korean accents (there's like 8 major grouping but more like 12-ish accents/dialects in reality)  you'll get a blank stare. They aren't used to people butchering the language. Learn a few common phrases and work on getting as close to the correct pronunciation as possible.

« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2020, 01:14:43 pm »
@Jamsilnaynay

When I lived in Jamsil, a couple laps around Seokchon Lake always did me some good. Also biking through Olympic Park. Picnicking at the Hangang. I feel like itís a good area for getting out and away from it all when you feel stifled.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2020, 03:14:52 pm »
I did have a realization that I'm probably in the worst of the culture shock waves at the moment, and things can only get better from here

It takes years to learn how to handle the culture here in a way that keeps stress levels down.

Its always amusing to see the naive enthusiasm newbies have for Korea. They've fallen for the image of perfection portrayed in the media.

Korea is a blank slate to most of the world and the korean nationalist  PR team has managed to get in there and fill the vacuum with this fantasy image of Korea as some sort of wonderful paradise. Some newbies fall so hard for this fantasy they even learn korean fluently before they even get here.

Even after 15 years here I can say that koreans will still turn around and say and do the most unpredictable, most unforeseen, most stupid thing imaginable. You can't be prepared for everything here. The gradual frustration that builds in you can turn into a anger-fuelled paranoia unless you learn to let it go.

It helps to remember that the west has its drawbacks as well. What I would advise is that you find your niche here. Maximize the things you enjoy and reduce the things you don't.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:19:05 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2020, 04:51:52 pm »
Thank you for your responses guys

@pkjh - I'm currently studying Korean now. My teachers/classmates say that in a classroom setting, my pronunciation is very good. But my pronunciation is probably much worse when I go to coffee shops due to being nervous or whatever other factors they may be

@Don Hobak - Thank you for the suggestions. I do need to go outside a bit more I feel. Have been stuck inside for too long for the past few months

@Cyanea - Even as someone who lived in a fast-paced American city, Korean culture is something else. I didn't even come to Korea for the Kpop nonsense. I came because I fell for the hanbok/traditional Korean things they show you abroad. I didn't realize it would be so fast-paced and aggressive. 

I really dont want to become like one of those old salty people who bitch about everything in Korea. But the past couple of weeks Ive definitely felt like that  :-[ I need to discover something I like about here, or I'm definitely going to be on that path

I still really love the traditional palaces they have here, and the tea shops in Insadong. The drinking culture seems pretty cool. And I do like speaking with other Koreans my age, even though it's kinda hard to meet them

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2020, 02:58:21 am »
Experienced this on too many occasions, always got a feeling of, "Let me practice my English with you, oh I can't practice my English with you? Okay bye." or "Let's be friends so that I can brag to others that I have a foreigner friend" (the, do you have an Instagram on meeting you for the first time move) definitely drives a bit of the bitterness forward

I've only been here for a little over year so I don't know if my input will have the same level of credibility... but I can feel the bitterness rising haha
Here's what helps me:

1. Just as much as Koreans are trying to use you for their own gains, use them. I'm not saying anything in an immoral way (whatever your morality may be haha) but use them to take advantage of whatever it is you want to experience here in Korea. If they want to practice English with you,

Yes there are user types but they're pretty easy to spot and easy to avoid.

However, there are many other Koreans who are not users and who will want to get to know you and hang out purely for the pleasure of your company.

A lot depends on you and where your interests lie.

You think Koreans are transparent to you? They can read you like a book as well.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2020, 07:00:03 am »
Even after 15 years here I can say that koreans will still turn around and say and do the most unpredictable, most unforeseen, most stupid thing imaginable. You can't be prepared for everything here. The gradual frustration that builds in you can turn into a anger-fuelled paranoia unless you learn to let it go.

After 15 years  :laugh:  and you're still waiting for the bolded part, yeh?

« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2020, 07:04:22 am »
Yes there are user types but they're pretty easy to spot and easy to avoid.

However, there are many other Koreans who are not users and who will want to get to know you and hang out purely for the pleasure of your company.

A lot depends on you and where your interests lie.

You think Koreans are transparent to you? They can read you like a book as well.

Haha! yes there are levels to everything, of course there are plenty of Koreans who want to get to know you and want to be your genuine friend.
I am only speaking to the individuals, as you mention who are very easy to spot out, that if you plan to converse with them, you might as well make it worth your time :)