Read 10831 times

Re: How to get over bitterness about Korea?...or do you?
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2020, 05:28:05 pm »
Yes, I'm a teacher!

Just wondering, have you invited them to have coffee? Have you you added them on social media? Have you invited them out to eat?

Maybe there's a Korean out there going "I really want to be friends because jamsilnaynay is such a cool person, but they're a bit cold and haven't shown any interest in me..."
You're right. Maybe I just need to be more outgoing when it comes to this? I'm shy so I usually tend to wait too long for the other person to make the first move. Not a problem in places like Brazil where people will randomly starting talking to you even if you're hiding in a corner, but in Korea I might need to be the one to make the first move

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2020, 07:40:58 am »
As promised, here is my list of things I love about Korea, so Mac knows that calling out the shite parts doesn't mean you should 'f off home' hopefully this will cheer some of you up. Kyndo it's friday, hopefully you are feeling better today. :) I'm still very hurt and emotional after Ronnie falsely and maliciously misrepresented me in the hopes of starting a conspiracy theory related to LIC. I'm still eagerly awaiting an explanation as to why they would do that and an apology for the emotional trauma caused.

I posted 7 of the shittiest things related to life in Korea, so I'll do 7 of the best things.

1. The convenience. Stores littered all over the show, in the middle of the city or out in bum f*ck nowhere. You will always be less than 5 mins to the nearest store.
2. Related to (1.) 24/7 service. Many places offer 24/7 service. (specifically doctors) I'm moving back home soon and was explaining to the wife about doctors and the process of getting an appointment/waiting times etc. Korea is awesome for that.
3. Rules. The UK is increasingly becoming a police state, with the whole wrong think policing, SJW mainstream narrative parking tickets, tax through your nose. In Korea it doesn't feel like everyone wants to take your money and I can speak my mind. In the UK, it feels like the opposite.
4. The weather, yeah sure it's dusty sometimes. And that is a downside for sure. But what I mean is the UK weather most of the year is dog shite. Windy, rainy and a little unpredictable. I guess I'm used to it. But it's nice that I know what I'm getting in Korea.
5. The nightlife. I don't really partake that much these days, but some of the best nights I've had were here. Back home, you never know when someone is going to kick off, here it feels a little more, I dunno, nicer? Nights out in the UK are just a mess.
6. The girls. I think I've had the convo on here before, but the ladies seem to take care of themselves more here. When I take a trip back home it's a big eye opener. I'm happily married now to the most beautiful woman in the world but It's nice to be around beautiful people rather than... the majority of ladies from the UK.
7. Nationalism. I'll never be Korean, I'll never be thought of of a Korean, but I LOVE the pride the people have in their country. The vast majority of people here are not racist, they just love their home and respect it's history. Flags flying all around, the national anthem. It's nice to see. Coming from the UK, where 'progressives' love to tell us how ashamed we should be ours, it's refreshing and something that aligns with me.

Somewhat related, but I recently was on a YouTube train and came across Elton Johns performance of 'Goodbye England's Rose' at Princess Diana's funeral. It struck me how that was a momentous time where pride in England was high. (2018 was an example of how the country should be. All together for our country) The sunshine left on that day and has been increasingly rainy ever since. Will and Kate's wedding and her wearing Diana's ring was a really touching moment.

Disagree if you wish, thats your choice, but those are some things that I really like about Korea.

If you don't want to lose face, Ronnie. You can PM your apology.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:43:23 am by Colburnnn »
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2020, 07:53:23 am »
Somewhat related, but I recently was on a YouTube train and came across Elton Johns performance of 'Goodbye England's Rose' at Princess Diana's funeral. It struck me how that was a momentous time where pride in England was high. (2018 was an example of how the country should be. All together for our country) The sunshine left on that day and has been increasingly rainy ever since. Will and Kate's wedding and her wearing Diana's ring was a really touching moment.

Ummm I agree with a lot of what you said but Diana's death and the outpouring of grief that came after it was the beginning of the slide for most people. When they rounded on the queen for showing a stiff upper lip and demanded she make a public display of her 'feelings.'  And now we have nothing but.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2020, 08:14:03 am »
Ummm I agree with a lot of what you said but Diana's death and the outpouring of grief that came after it was the beginning of the slide for most people. When they rounded on the queen for showing a stiff upper lip and demanded she make a public display of her 'feelings.'  And now we have nothing but.

Agree, it's such a shame. I'm not even really a Royal in any shape or form. Just can't help but wonder.

« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2020, 09:18:52 am »
Princess Di fandom jumped the shark at some point and then when she died it really went into ludicrous territory.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2020, 09:29:27 am »
Princess Di fandom jumped the shark at some point and then when she died it really went into ludicrous territory.

I think many people just related to her, she felt like family. We see the Royals as something untouchable, but throughout her life Diana did everything she could to be part of the public, often bringing the Princes to the local shops/community during their childhood. (to the best of her ability)

Like I said, she was a symbol of positivity and hope for a lot of people. When she left, many people 'gave up'. And England has never been the same.

Kate has been doing a good job but Meghan? (bleugh...)

• maclarent1337
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2019, 07:09:51 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #286 on: June 26, 2020, 09:34:39 am »
so Mac knows that calling out the shite parts doesn't mean you should 'f off home'

Man, I didn't mean to hurt you so much. I still think if someone hates being here so much they have to post every day about how shit Korea is, they should leave. That's just my opinion, not going to argue about it any more than we already have. On the other side of things, I liked your list and hope you have a great weekend bud. :) The policing in Korea is really great IMO, and it's great seeing how proud people are of their country.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #287 on: June 26, 2020, 09:40:08 am »
Man, I didn't mean to hurt you so much. I still think if someone hates being here so much they have to post every day about how shit Korea is, they should leave. That's just my opinion, not going to argue about it any more than we already have. On the other side of things, I liked your list and hope you have a great weekend bud. :) The policing in Korea is really great IMO, and it's great seeing how proud people are of their country.

Fair enough, I think complaining is a healthy part of life. Protests are complaining, and they are celebrated. Have a good weekend too! Much planned? Boxer shorts and air conditioning? Same.

I could go on with things I love. Next one would be 8. Almost no crime. So I agree with you. One thing I'll take back to the UK is national pride, fly your flag, be proud of your history, good or bad and learn from it. :)

Peace!

CB.

• Jerald
  • Waygookin

• June 04, 2020, 04:00:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2020, 02:56:07 pm »

Thanks for some of these practical tips.
That part about not wanting outsiders, but still pushing out cultural exports and trying to "globalize" really hits hard.
So many friends who came dreamy eyed about Kpop and k-dramas and got their fantasies smashed haha

Seems like the general gist is to just try and live a normal life with enough activities to be able to get over the issues.
Does feel a little like "surviving" rather than addressing the problems, but guess that just shows how difficult it is to change Korean cultural/social mindsets.

Befriending Koreans also often seems like a negative...had most of them just get at you to only practice English or the initial "novelty" of being friends with a foreigner before getting bored of it.
I feel like when people travel to other countries, generally their impression of the experience ends up like "wow, hated this and that but loved the people", but I've never heard of this from any foreigners in Korea lol

Why do you want to change Korean Cultural/Social mindset ? Who gives you the power to change the mindset of others to something similar to your mindsets?
This is the fundamental problem with your American way of life. The American society is built by the immigrants and all they needed each other to build the country throughout its history. That is just the way it is.

And you are talking about cultural exports ???  What do you mean by that ?

• Jerald
  • Waygookin

• June 04, 2020, 04:00:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2020, 03:03:00 pm »
I got over most of my issues back home. Dealt with Koreans there. 2nd gens. International students. Cali. NYC. Adoptees. Korean Priders. Bananas. And thats before all the other ethnicities I hung out with. Ferris Bueller type I was.

I had my honeymoon period with Koreans there. I had my burnout phase there. People think I'm a gyopo apologist but I went through all this shit before I even set foot here. Helped a lot. Knew what to expect. No ridiculous expectations or sense of entitlement.

Growing ul around other cultures and immigrants makes you realize everyone has their shit but basically it's all the same crap. Everyones trying to get through the day, make some money, and have some fun. A lot of the shit that can drive you crazy here, you''ll just find somewhere else in some other form.

One big thing is to check the ego. None of us are King Shit and such amazing people that we can spend our time constantly looking down on everyone. If you think what you're dealing with sucks, there's A LOT worse out there believe me. We've all basically hit the lottery being born as we are considering the entire world. If you're really down, find someone who is having a much shittier time of things and help them out. Puts life in perspective.

This shit here, this is cake. Seriously. This place is EASY. Go teach some of them countryside kids whose family is po' and whose parents beat the shit out of them or some Korean orphan kids. Go back home to some methed and opioded dead town or the ghetto or some broke ass immigrant house.

Life will always toss shit your way. Take it like a man or woman.

Can I have a cup of coffee with you my dear ?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #290 on: June 26, 2020, 03:14:20 pm »
As promised, here is my list of things I love about Korea, so Mac knows that calling out the shite parts doesn't mean you should 'f off home' hopefully this will cheer some of you up. Kyndo it's friday, hopefully you are feeling better today. :) .....

...I posted 7 of the shittiest things related to life in Korea, so I'll do 7 of the best things.

1. The convenience. Stores littered all over the show, in the middle of the city or out in bum f*ck nowhere. You will always be less than 5 mins to the nearest store.
2. Related to (1.) 24/7 service. Many places offer 24/7 service. (specifically doctors) I'm moving back home soon and was explaining to the wife about doctors and the process of getting an appointment/waiting times etc. Korea is awesome for that.
3. Rules. The UK is increasingly becoming a police state, with the whole wrong think policing, SJW mainstream narrative parking tickets, tax through your nose. In Korea it doesn't feel like everyone wants to take your money and I can speak my mind. In the UK, it feels like the opposite.
4. The weather, yeah sure it's dusty sometimes. And that is a downside for sure. But what I mean is the UK weather most of the year is dog shite. Windy, rainy and a little unpredictable. I guess I'm used to it. But it's nice that I know what I'm getting in Korea.
5. The nightlife. I don't really partake that much these days, but some of the best nights I've had were here. Back home, you never know when someone is going to kick off, here it feels a little more, I dunno, nicer? Nights out in the UK are just a mess.
6. The girls. I think I've had the convo on here before, but the ladies seem to take care of themselves more here. When I take a trip back home it's a big eye opener. I'm happily married now to the most beautiful woman in the world but It's nice to be around beautiful people rather than... the majority of ladies from the UK.
7. Nationalism. I'll never be Korean, I'll never be thought of of a Korean, but I LOVE the pride the people have in their country. The vast majority of people here are not racist, they just love their home and respect it's history. Flags flying all around, the national anthem. It's nice to see. Coming from the UK, where 'progressives' love to tell us how ashamed we should be ours, it's refreshing and something that aligns with me.

Disagree if you wish, that's your choice, but those are some things that I really like about Korea...

I'm heading out now, and this is honestly a nice way to end the week. Appreciate the effort of typing all that up. +1

Have a good weekend all!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2020, 09:57:53 pm »
I recently was on a YouTube train and came across Elton Johns performance of 'Goodbye England's Rose' at Princess Diana's funeral. It struck me how that was a momentous time where pride in England was high. (2018 was an example of how the country should be. All together for our country) The sunshine left on that day and has been increasingly rainy ever since.

That was before they divided England with identity politics as they have been doing with the US.

Divide and rule.. because dividing makes it much easier to rule!.
Catch my drift?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2020, 07:31:19 am »
For sure. The Royal Family is the Royal Family it's been here for generations and will continue for generations. You can see how the identity politics have been widely rejected just by looking at the public opinion of Will and Kate Vs Harry and Meghan. Will and Kate are loved and will rightly become King and (Not actual Queen) but 'Queen', Harry and Meghan threw a hissy fit (like many progressives) and ran away.

People welcomed Meghan into the fold but as soon as they were married she did all she could to inject the bs into the family. Harry obviously has to support his wife, but pretty much everyone else told the to do one. Cue people crying 'racism' when in fact it was because Meghan was a manipulative diva.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:22 am »
For sure. The Royal Family is the Royal Family it's been here for generations and will continue for generations. You can see how the identity politics have been widely rejected just by looking at the public opinion of Will and Kate Vs Harry and Meghan. Will and Kate are loved and will rightly become King and (Not actual Queen) but 'Queen', Harry and Meghan threw a hissy fit (like many progressives) and ran away.

People welcomed Meghan into the fold but as soon as they were married she did all she could to inject the bs into the family. Harry obviously has to support his wife, but pretty much everyone else told the to do one. Cue people crying 'racism' when in fact it was because Meghan was a manipulative diva.

Meghan is another crazy hateful Marxist feminist who is complete toxic poison.  A shame Harry cucked himself out like that.  He started off as a fighter in Afghanistan.  I thought he was tougher than that.  The royals are better off without her in it.  She was living with a guy already and then heard Harry was coming to town and ditched the guy fast and tried to meet Harry and lure him in.  A modern day Jezebel.  She is toxic poison.  I think I already said that.  But negative angry people like her are best avoided.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2020, 09:53:01 am »
Meghan is another crazy hateful Marxist feminist who is complete toxic poison.  A shame Harry cucked himself out like that.  He started off as a fighter in Afghanistan.  I thought he was tougher than that.  The royals are better off without her in it.  She was living with a guy already and then heard Harry was coming to town and ditched the guy fast and tried to meet Harry and lure him in.  A modern day Jezebel.  She is toxic poison.  I think I already said that.  But negative angry people like her are best avoided.

Did you read that crap in the Daily Mail?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:28 pm »
You can see how the identity politics have been widely rejected just by looking at the public opinion of Will and Kate Vs Harry and Meghan. .

What I find annoying is that thanks to globalism and global media, some random incident in an American city on the other side of the world can quickly mushroom into a massively destabilizing political event in the UK within hours.

they even had BLM protests in Seoul! In one of the most homogenous societies on earth.. just because people everywhere the world over are fed by CNN.

The lines between national politics are being blurred by globalism. Why should some American who has never been to the Uk nor paid taxes to the Uk govt have a strong opinion about Prince Harry and what he should be doing? never mind talk about it in their lunch hour? It even seems ridiculous that some brits hold strong views about trump. Not your country, not your concern is what I tend to think.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:49:23 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2020, 07:31:56 am »

Completely agree. Luckily the British public woke up pretty quickly to the scheming person that she is. She knew what she was marrying into and the duties that came with it. But NOPE she's too good for that, she's too self-entitled. Since 2016 (EU rejection) it has been pretty clear that although the media and indoctrinated youth bang on all day long about woke topics. The majority firmly reject it. Most recently the BLM riots. The UK is a wonderful diverse country with all religions and colours, one thing it is not, is racist. Protesting is your right and no one wants to take that away, but tearing down statues and painting graffiti on historic icons that shaped this country? GTFOH. Meghan was just one part of a moment that is being rejected completely by the silent majority.

And Cyanea, don't know if you meant me or not, but I'm English and I will say whatever I damn well please about my country and my Royal Family.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:33:33 am by Colburnnn »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2020, 07:44:11 am »
The lines between national politics are being blurred by globalism. Why should some American who has never been to the Uk nor paid taxes to the Uk govt have a strong opinion about Prince Harry and what he should be doing? never mind talk about it in their lunch hour? It even seems ridiculous that some brits hold strong views about trump. Not your country, not your concern is what I tend to think.

It's been that way as far back as I can remember, before the internet. British media have always gone on about US presidents, the way they used to rip the piss out of Reagan isn't that different to Trump bashing. News stories hardly touched on what was happening in Europe. A certain proportion of Yanks have always been fascinated by the Royal family.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2020, 07:46:35 am »
they even had BLM protests in Seoul! In one of the most homogenous societies on earth.. just because people everywhere the world over are fed by CNN.
Wasn't this largely driven by white expats?

Not your country, not your concern is what I tend to think.
Not if over 75% of your exports go to one country... cough... cough.. Canada... what Trump does can have a very direct impact on other countries.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2020, 07:47:03 am »
What I find annoying is that thanks to globalism and global media, some random incident in an American city on the other side of the world can quickly mushroom into a massively destabilizing political event in the UK within hours.

No man is an island,
 Entire of itself.
 Each is a piece of the continent,
 A part of the main.
 If a clod be washed away by the sea,
 Europe is the less.
 As well as if a promontory were.
 As well as if a manor of thine own
 Or of thine friend's were.
 Each man's death diminishes me,
 For I am involved in mankind.
 Therefore, send not to know
 For whom the bell tolls,
 It tolls for thee.  (J. Donne)
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino