Read 12646 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Flashing/"Burberry man"/ What's considered assault?
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2021, 04:08:56 am »
Anyone who goes public intentionally with nudity (all wardrobe misfunction aside) should go to jail. One day or much more. Certainly one day.

If a fun lark with no objections maybe just a day. If an OFFENSIVE exposure, maybe much longer.

Prude.

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2021, 11:54:39 am »
I think just showing it to you is not assault. It's public indecency.

If he starts whipping you with it then it becomes assault.

It's the equivalent of some guy breaking in and then just standing their cracking his knuckles and glaring. If some gangster did that, it would be assault even if he didn't punch you.

It's definitely assault. Threatening another person.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2021, 12:14:13 pm »
It's the equivalent of some guy breaking in and then just standing their cracking his knuckles and glaring. If some gangster did that, it would be assault even if he didn't punch you.

It's definitely assault. Threatening another person.

This is not a matter of opinion.

Some places have laws which include making a threat in the definition of “assault”, others have a separate charge for it called “uttering a threat”.

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2021, 12:16:39 pm »
This is not a matter of opinion.

Some places have laws which include making a threat in the definition of “assault”, others have a separate charge for it called “uttering a threat”.
That's true. In this case there is an element of physical intimidation that would almost certainly meet the definition of assault in any jurisdiction that has some kind of threat-making or intimidation under its assault statute.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2021, 12:16:43 pm »
The definition of assault varies from state to state in the US.
Heck, I've heard (apocryphally!) that it can vary county to county!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2021, 01:17:43 pm »
That's true. In this case there is an element of physical intimidation that would almost certainly meet the definition of assault in any jurisdiction that has some kind of threat-making or intimidation under its assault statute.

Some places do require contact, but then the “threat” statutes usually have different degrees or a range of penalties.

The criminal defense of “self defense”, however, in most places doesn’t require you to be hit first. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2021, 10:36:09 am »
If a woman feels she was assaulted, she was assaulted, and what gives you the right, as a white male, to say otherwise?

What a load of bullocks. I am laughing out loud.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2021, 10:45:25 am »
Laughing out loud is a form of noise violence - a product of toxic masculinity primarily aimed at oppressed minorities.  Kindly practice 'snapping' in future to prevent the harmful effects it can have on survivors.

« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2021, 11:01:22 am »
The criminal defense of “self defense”, however, in most places doesn’t require you to be hit first. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.
Not necessarily. I think actually in most cases if the person makes a physical threat and starts moving towards you, you can hit first. I do think there has to be some kind of accompanying movement though so that would probably be what you are essentially saying- mere utterance is not enough.

« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2021, 11:10:54 am »
What a load of bullocks. I am laughing out loud.
Pretty sure if a mobster or gangbanger broke into your house, opened up their jacket and started flexing and eyeballing you, it would be more than simple trespass and you'd certainly treat it as such, and you wouldn't be laughing out loud.

Or we could make it directly comparable, have some 6'3" 250 lb. all muscle dude breaking in, start wanking it while looking at you. Maybe he says something about how he'll be back.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd laugh and not consider it a threat or assault.

In my view, man or woman, someone breaks in your house and starts doing that, resident would be well within their rights to drop em right there, especially if it was a man breaking into a woman's house. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2021, 01:26:01 pm »
Pretty sure if a mobster or gangbanger broke into your house, opened up their jacket and started flexing and eyeballing you, it would be more than simple trespass and you'd certainly treat it as such, and you wouldn't be laughing out loud.

Or we could make it directly comparable, have some 6'3" 250 lb. all muscle dude breaking in, start wanking it while looking at you. Maybe he says something about how he'll be back.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd laugh and not consider it a threat or assault.

In my view, man or woman, someone breaks in your house and starts doing that, resident would be well within their rights to drop em right there, especially if it was a man breaking into a woman's house. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

hmm....a lot of assuming going on here. On the other hand saying something about how he'll be back could be threatening. However, none of what you described is a threat, it is threatening. They are not mutually inclusive.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2021, 01:27:08 pm »
Not necessarily. I think actually in most cases if the person makes a physical threat and starts moving towards you, you can hit first. I do think there has to be some kind of accompanying movement though so that would probably be what you are essentially saying- mere utterance is not enough.

Yeah DM, Mr. K apologist. You go hit a Korean guy first who is clearly and obviously threatening you and we'll all come and point at you through the bars and laugh.

« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2021, 01:31:14 pm »
hmm....a lot of assuming going on here. On the other hand saying something about how he'll be back could be threatening. However, none of what you described is a threat, it is threatening. They are not mutually inclusive.
It is a threat after the person has broken into your house.

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2021, 01:45:33 pm »
Yeah DM, Mr. K apologist. You go hit a Korean guy first who is clearly and obviously threatening you and we'll all come and point at you through the bars and laugh.
The instances where there was a fight involving a threatening Korean and the following did not happen have not had that outcome-
1) The foreigner wasn't drunk and this wasn't some bar fight
2) The foreigner didn't view a slight bump as an excuse to tee off on a guy
3) The foreigner didnt keep hitting after the fight was over

All the times I've seen it go badly they have involved at least one of those three things, almost all the first. And in many cases even then it didnt end in jail. Some paid blood money. And in some cases people just left it. And in a couple the cops even sided with the foreigner.

Other cases where some lunatic outright attacked the foreigner the cops very quickly pieced things together. Then again, in those cases I think the person was known to the cops, so I'm not sure that would apply if some average Korean did it.

Its been my experience that those that tend to have bad outcomes with the cops tend to be problems to begin with. They often adopt a defeatist/contemptuous attitude right from the start. Doing things like still yelling at the other person or barking about their rights or shouting about what a badass mf they are rather than coming across as a victimized party.

Remember when dealing with the cops, they have limited English skills and youre probably speaking mile a minute and drunk. You need to make it clear you are a victim and were attacked and hurt. If they dont see those cues, you are really at a disadvantage because the other party can articulate themselves and speak in their native language and can much easier manipulate things.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2021, 02:39:47 pm »
sir, this is a wendy's
more gg more skill

« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2021, 08:13:03 pm »
sir, this is a wendy's
Mine was more longwinded than ranty.

That would put me at Arby's, not Wendy's.