Read 10402 times

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: Flashing/"Burberry man"/ What's considered assault?
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2020, 07:35:53 pm »
And as a Canadian....

Take your excuses to that other forum thread! CO2 is right to insist on some consistency and adherence to propriety from our exalted mods. :angel:

Is that ....a hamburger pannekoek? With a dill pickle?
Whattt !
 How dare you! You... Canuck!?  :sad:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:43:28 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2020, 07:44:59 pm »
Hey, marty's no shrinking violet.  Think somebody like Barnes from Platoon and you're more or less there.

I've never watched Platoon!!.....Ok gonna download it!!!!

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2020, 07:50:38 pm »
I've never watched Platoon!!..

;D "Someone's been living under a rock''

incumbo studiis

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2020, 07:52:24 pm »
;D "Someone's been living under a rock''

haha I said i would download it, silly! And its 35 percent done!   I'm edumacating myself!  Hey Pancake man, are you saying that you can go and get those luscious banana-chocolate pancakes here in Korea?  Where?  I come from a little Dutch town in Southern Ontario and I "expect". hehe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:15:33 pm by dippedinblush »

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2020, 08:21:17 pm »
 ;D

Maybe you can help Kyndo out with his Dutch!

Erm, there used to be this pancake/waffle place in Itaewon but baking them yourself is always tastier!
incumbo studiis

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2020, 08:21:31 pm »
Yeah. And? What you think it would be my first time in a holding cell?
I don't know where you grew up, but there's certain things that you don't let pass.

:laugh: I'm a grown adult, so like most sane people, the only time I've resorted to violence since leaving school was either to protect myself, or others, against physical attack.

Also bringing someone's age up is redundant, no?

Normally it would be, but statistical evidence shows that after the age of 40 the proportion of people in prison (who are predominantly men) dramatically decreases. So you'd expect people over that age to have a much more mature attitude towards resorting to physical violence.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:45:50 pm by stoat »

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2020, 08:31:10 pm »
;D

Maybe you can help Kyndo out with his Dutch!

Erm, there used to be this pancake/waffle place in Itaewon but baking them yourself is always tastier!

I can't speak Dutch at all!  But I was introduced to a lot of "Dutch treats" (not the Schneider's hot dogs) aka bakeries and one of the two restaurants in my town included Dutch pancakes and other dishes when I lived there.  P.S.  Kyndo has the cutest handwriting of any 5th or 6th grader I've ever seen.....kkkk  I LOVE THE IMAGE POSTED AS WELL....the ivy!!! Classy as hell....hahah
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:43:41 pm by dippedinblush »

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2020, 08:47:10 pm »
:laugh: I'm a grown adult, so like most sane people, the only time I've resorted to violence since leavng school was either to protect myself, or others, against physical attack.

Normally it would be, but statistical evidence shows that after the age of 40 the proportion of people in prison (who are predominantly men) dramatically decreases. So you'd expect people over that age to have a much more mature attitude towards resorting to physical violence.   

Wouldn't you rather gather in on the pancake party, then re-hash the negativity that you are perpetuating?  I bet you have a pancake dish...or a French toast one?

Share the recipe...especially if it involves bacon!  Come on stoat....be happy :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:52:00 pm by dippedinblush »

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »
Wouldn't you rather gather in on the pancake party, then re-hash the negativity that you are perpetuating?  I bet you have a pancake dish...or a French toast one?

Share the recipe...especially if it involves bacon!  Come on stoat....be happy :D

KYNDO... how about making "Your best tried and true breakfast recipes" You can use my name again if you want to and I will endorse it.  hehe:D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:59:26 pm by dippedinblush »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2020, 10:47:15 pm »
Yes, I've disagreed with you so so so many times, and I think have cursed you on many occasions as well.  In fact when I first entered this site and read all the things you were saying I really disliked what you had to say. 
But, like a fungus, you've grown on me

Fixed it for you.

To be clear, I am sure that in the constructs of the normal world, DMT is not a bad guy--he doesn't beat his wife, cheat on his taxes or fail to get his round in (frankly guessing on that last one, but I hope so).  If we met in a bar, I could probably have a reasonable conversation with him for a while.

The incident involving his butt-hurt (oh that's wrong and I apologize!) has been I think more than adequately dissected.  However, among the regular/frequent/obsessive posters on this forum, DMT is almost the exemplar of what is wrong and bad about internet forums (though some here are worse). 

He says things that are objectively untrue with the regularity of a pile-driver, and calls his inaccurate facts "opinions" (at least he shies away from "alternate facts").  He frequently engages in irrelevant whataboutism; he issues bizarre non-sequitur analogies to prove his wrong-ity wrong points; and he lies.  A lot.  He lies like a Persian rug.  And then he changes the lie when it suits him.

Just yesterday, I called him out for repeatedly (and this has been a KEY talking point for him) saying that the US House of Reps is a "co-equal branch" with the WH (Executive).  His ultimate response:

"One at 30%, two others at 25% each and the fourth at 20%"

Aside from the fact that there are three "co-equal" (HIS REPEATED description) branches, looking at those numbers suggest they are not "co-equal" in any way.  In the same breathless BS he said the "the power of lawmaking and appropriation resides with the House".  As if there's no such thing as "marking up" or the actual tradition that the WH sends its budget down first.  He knows these things, but just lies about them when convenient. 

To defend the Trump administration's abject failure regarding PPEs, he said that it's Korea's pollution problem that has led to the availability of masks here.  I can't be assed to read through his posts (my eyes would bleed), but I bet he's done a hundred of 'em about how Korea's pollution isn't a problem, look at China, or San Diego or etc, etc.

And that's just yesterday.  There are literally thousands of cases where he's said a bunch of BS--he also repeatedly insists that lying is just how regular people behave.  So disliking what he has to say is fine.  It means you're normal. 

So, you know, you may feel some kind of pity or something for the way he is treated here, but make no mistake, he's brought it on himself.  He's no eleven-year-old child who's wondered into a dragon's den, he's an "adult" with full autonomy over his actions, and this is how he chooses to behave.  And how he should be treated.  Badly.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2020, 11:12:40 pm »
Mr. C.
Isn't it true that one of the reasons Korea is handling the virus well is because they had been manufacturing similar masks to these masks before (dealing with blocking out particulate matter) and had the right infrastructure set up to manufacture the KF94 masks promptly? I don't think that's a stretch at all. 

I don't feel pity for him. He is a competent man.  But I can separate the wheat from the chaff as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:27:51 pm by dippedinblush »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2020, 11:26:50 pm »
Mr. C.

Isn't it true that one of the reasons Korea is handling the virus is because they have had been manufacturing these masks before and had the right infrastructure set up to manufacture the KF94 masks promptly?

Hmm.  Well, I returned from my vacation on Feb 25.  On the 26th, I was unable to find a single mask anywhere in my neighborhood--adult-sized mask.  There was one single kid mask with a bear on it in Emart (which I couldn't wear).  I think I've mentioned this elsewhere.  Almost a week later, the mom-and-pop got some in--17,000 W for 5. 

But I'm not sure you're following the thread here. 
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2020, 11:31:42 pm »
Hmm.  Well, I returned from my vacation on Feb 25.  On the 26th, I was unable to find a single mask anywhere in my neighborhood--adult-sized mask.  There was one single kid mask with a bear on it in Emart (which I couldn't wear).  I think I've mentioned this elsewhere.  Almost a week later, the mom-and-pop got some in--17,000 W for 5. 

But I'm not sure you're following the thread here. 

Do you have a pic of you wearing a bear mask?  Preferably among bears?  Your kids would go crazy for that.  As would I. 

Obvs you needed to go to the post office and get your masks or go on your appointed day to the pharmacy and get them there. There is also online...(which is available in Korea)..you need not go  without, Mr. C.

There were/are lots of masks to go around.

Also what am I not getting here??? Please explain.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:41:43 pm by dippedinblush »

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2020, 12:04:29 am »
Yes, I've disagreed with you so so so many times, and I think have cursed you on many occasions as well.  In fact when I first entered this site and read all the things you were saying I really disliked what you had to say. 
But, like ddeokbokki, you've grown on me, and reading your posts, I realise you are not one-dimensional, and have truly valid points to make (regardless of whether or not I believe them).  I think you are a good and decent person, who is trying to add a voice where there possibly isn't one, and I respect you for that.
Thanks for the kind words, hope I can not disappoint for at least a few days. But when I do say something dumb, please let er rip. Anyways, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Home invasion and sexual assault are a big deal. Mr. C is a good guy who has contributed a lot of material, to this site, is a person deeply concerned with morality and the welfare of his students, and while we have our beef, hopefully that doesn't affect anything in your dealings with him.

« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2020, 12:05:37 am »
Well said, a very apt and elegant way to describe him!  :azn:
Spicy and disrupted with spoiled, processed fishiness masquerading as something of substance?

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2020, 12:14:07 am »
Spicy and disrupted with spoiled, processed fishiness masquerading as something of substance?

Don't be silly Mr DeMartino!!! People love you... You sound like Gordon Ramsey critiquing your own self!  Silly goose. Wanna re-think your flavors?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:23:35 am by dippedinblush »

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2020, 12:38:03 am »
why are you explaining yourself to stoat?  he wasn't there and he has nothing to do with your world...he loves to push buttons and he's definitely pushed yours.  Enough.  Can't we move on to pancakes and breakfast...?  DeMartino..I think yourbreakfast definitely involves a hollandaise?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:57:37 am by dippedinblush »

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2020, 12:57:06 am »
Just yesterday, I called him out for repeatedly (and this has been a KEY talking point for him) saying that the US House of Reps is a "co-equal branch" with the WH (Executive).  His ultimate response:

Aside from the fact that there are three "co-equal" (HIS REPEATED description) branches, looking at those numbers suggest they are not "co-equal" in any way.  In the same breathless BS he said the "the power of lawmaking and appropriation resides with the House".  As if there's no such thing as "marking up" or the actual tradition that the WH sends its budget down first.  He knows these things, but just lies about them when convenient. 
I ask the good people of waygook- Did I lie here? A lie being an active attempt to deceive for whatever purpose.

Having a difference of opinion is not a lie. Being in error is not a lie. Using a common turn of phrase to imprecisely describe something is not a lie. Using a phrase to describe something that exists in theory that might not exist in practice is not a lie.
I mean, a simple google search of "Co-equal branches of government" turns up thousands of hits ascribing that term to the American system of government. Some of these are from official organizations like the American Bar Association. On the other hand, you have some other hits that are opinion articles that say they are not actually co-equal branches of government. Now is someone lying in this case?

It's like arguing over whether some NFL team that finished with an 8-8 record but made the playoffs was "above average or not" and one person accusing the other of lying. Person A says "You can't be above average if your record is .500" The other person says that making the playoffs makes you an above average team and points to a positive points differential and other stats. Who is right? Well both can be right or wrong. But no one is LYING here.

To defend the Trump administration's abject failure regarding PPEs, he said that it's Korea's pollution problem that has led to the availability of masks here. 
Okay, this isn't a lie. Nor does anything that follows from you make this a lie. Whether I have said or not said that Korea's pollution isn't a problem, that doesn't affect whether Korea's air pollution situation has resulted in a mask production infrastructure here that exceeds that in the U.S.

I mean we all live in Korea. Is this an actual dispute with you? If you really want to show examples of me "lying", then I don't think this is quite as good of an example as you think it is.

I can't be assed to read through his posts (my eyes would bleed), but I bet he's done a hundred of 'em about how Korea's pollution isn't a problem, look at China, or San Diego or etc, etc.
Now, if I had said that, you would accuse me of lying. I on the other hand will look at your comment and interpret it as you either mis-remembering or misinterpreting what I said. A lot of times people interpret "It's also a problem in Country X" as me saying "It isn't a problem in Korea" or that me showing how a similar phenomenon that happens elsewhere is relatable to something here and if we understand why it happens back home, perhaps we can understand why it happens here and not just go with the simple-minded and often bigoted explanation of "culture."

he also repeatedly insists that lying is just how regular people behave.
Yes, I have said that one rule of police investigation, and this is according to cops themselves, is that everyone lies, and that you CANNOT infer someone's guilt simply because they lie to the police about something. This is actually a very critical point for critically analyzing crime and major news stories. The fact that someone lies about something does not make them guilty of everything.

I also attributed regular lying to things people do, basically paraphrasing what I think is a Chris Rock bit about all the lies people do like makeup, clothes, their watch, etc. And all sorts of unconscious or day to day lies that people engage in. Mr. C claimed that lying was not a regular thing, at least that's how I interpreted his response (and he never went against it). I disagreed. I think lying is incredibly common among people and it takes various forms. Apparently this interpretation of human behavior by myself makes any opinion of mine suspect.

=============================================================
Anyways, I think I can give some insight into why Mr. C and me differ so much and why he has a problem with my thought process and why I sometimes get riled up by his interpretations.

We had this dispute over sodas and whether a soda (Soda A) that consistently got 7.0/10.0 scores was better and would sell more than a soda (Soda B) that would get 10/10 from 1 person and 0/10 from 2 other people and in fact, the soda you want to make is Soda B. To Mr. C this was a mathematical problem pure and simple and there simply no logical or truthful way that Soda B could be the correct choice. My point was essentially that what we were talking about was Dr. Pepper vs. generic grocery store cola. And that while 2/3 people might HATE Dr. Pepper and everyone will drink generic cola if at an event, in terms of sales and being a successful product, Dr. Pepper is the superior choice because of those 10/10 fanatical customers. Mr. C again emphasized the mathematics involved and my failure to comprehend those mathematics.

I think this is a good example of the difference of our world views and why we can come to such forceful disagreements.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:06:36 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2020, 12:59:28 am »
why are you explaining yourself to stoat?  he wasn't there and he has nothing to do with your world...he loves to push buttons and he's definitely pushed yours.  Enough.  Can't we move on to pancakes and breakfast...?  DeMartino..I think his breakfast definitely involves a hollandaise?
How about pizza? If there's one thing that can really get people going, it's a discussion about pizza.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2020, 01:30:02 am »
How about pizza? If there's one thing that can really get people going, it's a discussion about pizza.

As long as it doesn't involve pineapple!! OF COURSE!