Read 10404 times

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Flashing/"Burberry man"/ What's considered assault?
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2020, 10:02:55 am »
If someone has experienced something serious such as this, repeatedly saying they shouldn't get emotional over it, or 'start fights,' comes from a place of privilege because you haven't had to deal with that

Don't assume things you don't know about other people. Not everyone who has experienced something upsetting is automatically going to agree with other people who have experienced a similar thing. 

• Stefaneekaye
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:49 am »
Don't assume things you don't know about other people. Not everyone who has experienced something upsetting is automatically going to agree with other people who have experienced a similar thing. 

So, because you handled it differently, it validates being insensitive or dismissive toward them?

You don't agree with how they handle(d) or how they reflect on what occurred to themselves, so it's okay to respond flippantly as many people here have, then be even more dismissive when the OP defends themselves against the responses?

I'm not assuming anyone has/hasn't experienced something traumatic, but you haven't had that specific experience of the other individual, you weren't there, weren't in their brains experiencing that specific moment. It's impossible for you to say you would do anything differently because you are not literally in their shoes. Having similar or dissimilar responses/experiences of your own doesn't change that you can respect the humanity of the person you are talking with/to on the other side of your screen.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2020, 10:20:16 am »
Also, as penance, Kyndo should have to hand write his posts for the next week and post them as images.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2020, 10:26:12 am »

For a moment, I thought this was German and was confused - didn't think I lost that much reading comprehension since university. Made the effort and it was worth it to learn the language this is in...leaving vague so others have to also figure it out haha

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2020, 10:34:56 am »

This is the douchiest thing you've ever posted.

EDIT: Dutch-est.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2020, 10:44:45 am »
So, because you handled it differently, it validates being insensitive or dismissive toward them?

No, the context influences how people behave towards a person. If someone says to a crowded room, 'hey let me tell you about a crazy thing that happened to me in Korea', you could be forgiven for assuming they aren't still traumatised by the exerience and treat them accordingly. If someone takes you aside and says 'Can I talk to you about a terrible thing that happened to me last year that's still affecting me', you'll handle it much more gently. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:46:38 am by stoat »

« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2020, 11:05:19 am »
No, I didn't lie about my assaults, just like I'm sure dippedinblush or DeMartino didn't with his experience.
Clarification, what I was talking about didn't involve assault of myself. It involved me attempting to take a student to my coteacher for discipline for dong-chimming me (well, I guess I was technically assaulted, but that wasn't the bad part). The bad horrific memory part was when I attempted to take her to the teacher, the reaction of this 1st grade girl was like someone being dragged to their execution. And I'm not talking about the usual kiddie fussings and whinings and wailings. She had a complete breakdown and was in mortal terror. She ended up being inconsolable for close to half an hour. I have never seen a child react like that, even during the most extreme of temper tantrums. This was something else. It made me seriously wonder what had happened in her life to make her react that way. It's something I NEVER want to experience again in my life. That reaction was seriously unnerving. It didn't help that she quit the English program too. I understand she's a kid and heck, by now all these years later it's probably forgotten, so who knows, maybe I have ended up worse because of it than her. Anyways, it was a REALLY shitty feeling.

But when it is constantly thrown back at us that we are lying, or it is insinuated, I think it is more than fair that we stand up for ourselves.
I can't speak for you or dippledinblush, I post on here a lot and get called a liar on a lot of things (erroneously too- Some people here have trouble distinguishing an error/opinion/different interpretation/different conclusion/hyperbole/etc. from a LIE, as in just making something up with no basis purely to deceive and manipulate) and usually it's just whatever. It's the internet.

But when it comes to stuff like that, being called a liar over a painful memory is something else. In real life you'd get a warning. After that those would be fighting words.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2020, 11:15:16 am »
You'd use physical violence on someone because they didn't believe some anecdote you told them?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2020, 11:39:45 am »
Countries do the same: fly into foreign militarized waters and you're likely to see shots across the bow. Ignore them and it's possible that the next shots will be fired *into* the bow.

« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2020, 11:49:22 am »
I post on here a lot and get called a liar on a lot of things (erroneously too- Some people here have trouble distinguishing an error/opinion/different interpretation/different conclusion/hyperbole/etc. from a LIE, as in just making something up with no basis purely to deceive and manipulate) and usually it's just whatever.

Sorry guys and gals!

The internet just exploded into pieces now.

Not sure what it was from this post. 

Any idea as to why, would be greatly appreciated. 

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2020, 12:09:22 pm »
Is it something about Trump?

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2020, 12:25:35 pm »
How do my posts keep getting deleted yet Ronnie is allowed to sling shit at DM all the time, unmoderated?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2020, 12:29:00 pm »
How do my posts keep getting deleted yet Ronnie is allowed to sling shit at DM all the time, unmoderated?

The death knell of any site is when a clique is allowed to form.  This site has been pretty cliquish.  Serious criticisms of select posters are frowned upon.  Get busy on about 5000 more innocuous posts and you'll be in that select company.  The Untouchables.  Then you can post anything. 

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:14 pm »
You'd use physical violence on someone because they didn't believe some anecdote you told them?
An anecdote would be something like me telling fishing stories or that time my neighbor fired a spud gun through his tractor.

If you can't tell the difference between "anecdotes" and serious stories people tell about painful memories, you should probably just take another sip of beer and listen some more.

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2020, 12:38:05 pm »

He threatened Mr C with physical assault because of that, if I remember correctly.  Mr C?  With the lovely voice?  Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth?  Yeh, him!  :-*

I hope Mr C is feeling better, because he was a little shaken up with it being the internet n'all.  :rolleyes:

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2020, 01:14:24 pm »
An anecdote would be something like me telling fishing stories or that time my neighbor fired a spud gun through his tractor.

If you can't tell the difference between "anecdotes" and serious stories people tell about painful memories, you should probably just take another sip of beer and listen some more.

You'd use physical violence on someone because they didn't believe a serious story about painful memories you told them?

(Incidentally 'anecdote' can just mean a biographical story)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:22:44 pm by stoat »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2020, 01:24:29 pm »
You'd use physical violence on someone because they didn't believe a serious story about painful memories you told them?

I'm not sure he'd use it, but he surely threatened it. 
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2020, 01:28:20 pm »
I'm not sure he'd use it, but he surely threatened it. 

no he didn't.

(and i'm gonna keep saying "no he didn't" until you--very predictably--get angry. then i'm gonna pretend it's all just banter and start lecturing you on why you really need to calm down)

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2020, 01:31:09 pm »
no he didn't.

(and i'm gonna keep saying "no he didn't" until you--very predictably--get angry. then i'm gonna pretend it's all just banter and start lecturing you on why you really need to calm down)
Ha!  I can see through your plan, and it won't work!   M@#$%^F*^^%$^#!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2020, 01:52:58 pm »

LOL
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?