Read 1854 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Summer Vacation Travel Bans
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 02:03:39 pm »
Yes, good point.  I find you to be quite reasonable.
But I think saying "without hindering the school" is kinda too late in this case.  The year has already been hindered.  What difference is it going to make if the english teacher wanted to take 2 weeks vacation during school?  Are the kids going to miss out on english education so much that this 2 week gap is going to mean the difference between success and failure for the rest of their lives? 

They could easily do without english for a couple weeks if they've been without it for 3 months already.  Or they could easily have english switch over to an online practicum which is what we are doing now.   I don't see how anyone in the education system can complain that the english teacher is going on vacation for 2 weeks during school year when we've already missed 3 months of it. 

It's like pointing out the speck of sand in someone else's eye when there is a plank in yours.    (not you, just the saying).

It's not really going to hinder the students but, substitute teachers aren't really a thing here.
If you want to take off 2 weeks during the semester, someone will have to take those classes, and I'd wager it's the Korean English teacher that will have to take them.
By taking time off, you would be "creating more work for them" which will probably be frowned upon greatly. For a small school, this probably wouldn't be a big deal; However, for a big school, I can picture the Korean teachers getting upset and taking it out on the foreigner come renewal time.
However, having a set time that allows everyone to have a break prevents all this; Although, it can be rather inconvenient (there are times I'd love to travel during other months of the year).