Read 389 times

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Strangest One-room / apartment layouts
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:20:33 pm »
So I was reading dippedinblush's account of some wanker showing up in her one room when it occurred to me that her one-room has a really bizarre set-up. It then occurred to me that I've seen some really really really strange set-ups as well.

What weird apartment/one-room/housing set-ups have you seen here in Korea?

One that I found particularly weird was back in my second year in Korea when I ditched the school provided one-room for something a little bit less, well, one-roomy. I live in a pretty rural area, and my school is kind of on the edge of town, so the options weren't fantastic, but two of my coworkers and I decided to go out with a real-estate agent in hopes of finding some place reasonable. Most of them were your typical boxes in crowded villas, or rundown farm out-building, but some of them were pretty interesting.

The one that stuck in my mind was in a fairly  modern villa building, maybe 4 stories tall, with maybe 8 units on each floor. It was amazing. It had a teeny tiny kitchen featuring a beautiful 4 pane window... with a spectacular view of the hallway, as it was right next to the entrance door. The one room was actually a bit larger than some of the others, but the most noteworthy feature was that it had a washroom directly in the middle of the room. Yes, some genius had decided to wrap the living space around the bathroom rather than tucking it into the corner like a reasonable architect. I suspect it had something to do with having the plumbing all in one area or something, but it was pretty ridiculous. Oh, and this bathroom took up an inordinate amount of space as well, while mysteriously being tiny. You know how Dr. Who's telephone booth is much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Well, this magic loo was the exact inverse.
    The real-estate lady pushed it pretty hard, mostly, I suspect, because every other person who has ever seen it had the exact same reaction I did: laughter, followed by a hard pass.

I eventually ended up in a pretty nice two-room where I stayed for 2 or 3 years. Nice and roomy, although if so inclined, I could probably lend my neighbour across the way a cup of sugar by just reaching out the window a bit...  :rolleyes:

Here's how I recall the floorplan!

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Strangest One-room / apartment layouts
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:25:55 pm »
So I was reading dippedinblush's account of some wanker showing up in her one room when it occurred to me that her one-room has a really bizarre set-up. It then occurred to me that I've seen some really really really strange set-ups as well.

What weird apartment/one-room/housing set-ups have you seen here in Korea?

One that I found particularly weird was back in my second year in Korea when I ditched the school provided one-room for something a little bit less, well, one-roomy. I live in a pretty rural area, and my school is kind of on the edge of town, so the options weren't fantastic, but two of my coworkers and I decided to go out with a real-estate agent in hopes of finding some place reasonable. Most of them were your typical boxes in crowded villas, or rundown farm out-building, but some of them were pretty interesting.

The one that stuck in my mind was in a fairly  modern villa building, maybe 4 stories tall, with maybe 8 units on each floor. It was amazing. It had a teeny tiny kitchen featuring a beautiful 4 pane window... with a spectacular view of the hallway, as it was right next to the entrance door. The one room was actually a bit larger than some of the others, but the most noteworthy feature was that it had a washroom directly in the middle of the room. Yes, some genius had decided to wrap the living space around the bathroom rather than tucking it into the corner like a reasonable architect. I suspect it had something to do with having the plumbing all in one area or something, but it was pretty ridiculous. Oh, and this bathroom took up an inordinate amount of space as well, while mysteriously being tiny. You know how Dr. Who's telephone booth is much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Well, this magic loo was the exact inverse.
    The real-estate lady pushed it pretty hard, mostly, I suspect, because every other person who has ever seen it had the exact same reaction I did: laughter, followed by a hard pass.

I eventually ended up in a pretty nice two-room where I stayed for 2 or 3 years. Nice and roomy, although if so inclined, I could probably lend my neighbour across the way a cup of sugar by just reaching out the window a bit...  :rolleyes:

Here's how I recall the floorplan!

Some people like something that divides their kitchen and sleeping space a little.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:26:32 pm »
My current place is a decent size 2-room, with a good size living room. It's fine but yeah we have a tiny random window directly into the stairwell.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:28:17 pm »
Kyndo, I fixed it for you,

레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:28:28 pm »
Does a two-room mean a bedroom plus living room/kitchen or a living room/kitchen + two bedrooms?

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:29:24 pm »
My current place is a decent size 2-room, with a good size living room. It's fine but yeah we have a tiny random window directly into the stairwell.
Maybe for air circulation? getting a breeze going through? idk. but I think we can agree that a lot of things here don't follow logic.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 12:30:45 pm »
Does a two-room mean a bedroom plus living room/kitchen or a living room/kitchen + two bedrooms?
my apartment is a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom with a tub. oh yea, and a veranda. so I don't know what you call it. and I can hear my neighbors sneeze and talk. they're mostly pretty chill though.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 12:34:34 pm »
Some people like something that divides their kitchen and sleeping space a little.
I suppose, but wouldn't a book shelf thingy be better than wasting half of the floor space on a wc?
Why break up an already tiny space into even smaller fragments?
But at least, living there, one will get to see one's neighbours pretty often (and vice versa)!

Kyndo, I fixed it for you

That would creep me out more if I didn't know that your view would be of this:

:laugh:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:37:33 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 12:36:33 pm »
My 2-room has 2 bedrooms, a living room, a separate kitchen area and a storage closet outside

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 12:58:17 pm »
It isn't particularly strange, but it was annoying - my first place had the kitchen just as you walked in, basically just big enough for two people to stand in, so of course the fridge had to go somewhere else. On the veranda, on the complete opposite side of the one-room.

On the one hand, it's a one-room, it's not terribly far to walk. On the other hand, I had to traipse past everything else just to get food / put food back, and the veranda wasn't air-conditioned (the air-conditioner vented onto the veranda, in fact - so I had to have the windows there open every time I used the A/C), so I never wanted to eat in the summer, because then I'd have to keep going out in the heat.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:44 pm »
This thread is a subtle humble brag for kyndo's penmanship.  :wink:

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »
OMG Demartino!  I thought the same thing!  How cute is Kyndo's handwriting??!!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 02:26:13 pm »
You should see my hangeul. It'd make ol' Sejong cry.  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:29:12 pm by kyndo »