Read 526 times

• Pidge
  • Waygookin

• May 25, 2016, 08:15:03 am
    • Daejeon
Emergency mental health resources?
« on: May 07, 2020, 11:47:21 am »
Hello all,

I'm concerned about a fellow EPIK teacher in Daejeon. I'll call her "Kendra." She's been dealing with MAJOR depression and anxiety for like...two or three+ months now. Things are looking more and more scary. Like she's said a few times that she either wants to hurt herself or is afraid she'll hurt herself. No explicit discussion of *plans* to hurt herself though. And she continues to reach out to friends for support. But none of us are equipped to deal with this.

Kendra has been getting meds from a Korean doctor for just over a month, but it's a lot of trial and error and it's not going great. She's getting therapy twice a week from an American therapist over Skype, but it's not enough.
She's feeling very alone and incredibly desperate.

She doesn't have an easy way to run back to America, for various reasons (corona, no jobs, no health insurance, being just over 30 and thus not the typical age to go crash with her mom, etc). Her mom is also not really emotionally available.

So the big question: Do you guys know of ANY accessible, affordable mental health resources in Korea?? A few mutual friends of Kendra & I have been searching and can't find anything. I've come across counselors in Seoul, but they're pricey as hell (90K+ for a single session).
Also, if (god forbid) Kendra needs to be committed, how might that affect her job? Could she be fired on the spot, or just not renewed after August (the end of our contract)?

Does anyone have any personal stories of dealing with this, or seeing others deal with this?

Re: Emergency mental health resources?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:59:54 am »
Look at the Seoul Global Center....they offer something for free, but I am not sure what kind of therapy it is

• Pidge
  • Waygookin

• May 25, 2016, 08:15:03 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:05:44 pm »
Look at the Seoul Global Center....they offer something for free, but I am not sure what kind of therapy it is

Thank you for taking time to respond. I just looked at their website. It seems they only offer up to 5 sessions of psychological counseling. I will take note of the contact details just in case, but I don't think this will be able to meet her intensive needs. :(

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:10:03 pm »
Then try looking into the local multicultural family center, they probably don't provide therapy but can lead you in the right direction

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:14:18 pm »
https://www.liveinkorea.kr/center/main/main.do?centerSeq=57&portalLangType=USA

There are 2 centers in Daejeon.

I don't have any personal stories, but I know that mental health is not really covered by insurance and is almost seen to not exist in society, therfore, a school probably wouldn't find out until renewal health check times about medication etc and would then have to make a choice to renew or not....my guess would be not because it would affect the students in some way

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:15:24 pm »
Hello Pidge,

Really sorry to hear your friend is having such a tough time, and much kudos to you for trying to find help for her.

This is a bit of an old thread but it might have some useful info: https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=107935.0

Also, I just checked Naver Maps and the place I mentioned is still there - it's right across from Bokhap Terminal, same building as the Mom's Touch. I just called them a moment ago and they said they can offer counselling sessions in English. I'm not sure of the price but a close friend (Korean) went there a few times and said it was reasonable. Will also save on KTX tickets and all that jazz.

Link: http://naver.me/xT7kxKfE

Let me know if you need any help, I can try set up an appointment if you like, PM me or something. Best of luck! :)

Edit: Sorry, for some reason Waygook scrambled all of the Korean. You can just follow the link to get their contact info.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:21:57 pm by Datasapien »
I never finish anyth

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 12:57:46 pm »
Unfortunate situation sorry you all have to go through this. It isn't nice.

Do EPIK still ask about your mental health and history with depression on their application?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 04:55:23 pm »
Unfortunate situation sorry you all have to go through this. It isn't nice.

Do EPIK still ask about your mental health and history with depression on their application?

Yes, they still ask.  But most recruiters will just tell you to lie about it.  Doesn't make much sense.  If you know you have a history of suffering with that the last thing you should do is try to work abroad....and to a place with extreme culture differences to boot.

• ninohan
  • Adventurer

• June 02, 2012, 06:06:00 pm
    • seoul
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 02:23:31 am »
She  can visit one of the English-sepaking counselers in Korea or visit psychiatrists. Most psychiatrists take KNI. Here's the list I found.
https://expathealthseoul.com/listing/seoul-korea-psychologists-counselors-therapists
https://expathealthseoul.com/listing/seoul-korea-psychiatrists
Everything you want to know about living in Seoul. More than 7,000 English speaking business directory. http://www.expatguidekorea.com