Read 1793 times

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
How will China repay the World?
« on: May 07, 2020, 07:25:45 am »
Obviously after this whole thing has blown over to a certain level, there will be a whole host of people, companies, governments etc... looking for money. No matter how politically incorrect you deem it to be. China (and the governing body more specifically) is/are responsible for it, so they should be the ones to bear the brunt of the financial damage.

The question. How does the world go about getting the money owed to them?
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Re: How will China repay the World?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:30:18 am »
Wow, we have certainly started off the day with an extraordinary amount
of stupidity and ignorance.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:31:25 am »
Explain?

Edit: Perhaps a difficult topic for early in the morning, but one that will need to be answered in the coming months/years.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:35:56 am by Colburnnn »
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:03:20 am »
Repay?

China enslaves children to make things cheaper for the rest of the world.

More Fortune 500 companies have factories in China than in the U.S.

Who owes whom? Who owns whom?

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:12 am »
Interesting...

Keep in mind, I'm an optimistic man.

If the CCP would pay a single cent of compensation, they lose a tremendous amount of face and open a floodgate of other problems, so, they won't... ever. This is going to play out over a long time, but here's what I think is going to happen, in stages:

Stage 1

Before the CCP virus, was already a ticking time-bomb: There's another imminent housing bubble, China has a huge demographic problem (way too many men), the cost of living is going up, big companies like Apple, Sony and Microsoft have been gradually shifting production out of China, Hong Kong Protests, situation with Taiwan, Human rights violations in Xianjang and Tibet and now the CCP virus.
China's economy is not doing great and unlike the West, a recession in China would be a disaster; one of the only reasons the CCP are tolerated by the Chinese people is that they were promised economic success in return for their freedoms.
The CCP will attempt to exploit and profit off the damages the CCP virus has done in the West (they're trying to buy up discounted real-estate in Australia right now), while they might score off this, the West will notice and anger against the CCP will increase, forcing governments to take a harder line against China.

In the next few years, the Chinese economy will slump, but people will generally be kept in check as the government will ratchet up censorship, propaganda, surveillance and the general ethos of an Orwellian state.

Stage 2

By now, most big companies have shifted most of their production out of China. The very structure of the CCP will be its undoing; high-ranking CCP members will begin attempting to jump ship to the West, where their wives, mistresses and children have bought up property, deals will be brokered and they'll be granted asylum. As said, the CCP is comprised of a bunch of sycophants, thieves and opportunists, there's no ideological loyalty and when things go South, they'll happily go West. 

Stage 3

The CCP is a one trick pony, censorship, crackdowns, bribing and propaganda is all they know and it this point, it can no longer delay the inevitable. China will plunge into a depression, Xi will likely be overthrown and the remaining CCP members will be busy backstabbing, jostling for power or trying to escape. The influence China had over the world will diminish as the money will dry up, being lost or embezzled out by escaping CCP members. China wont regress into a failed-state, but it'll be reveal itself as an unstable mess that no business wants to setup shop in.

The CCP will endure, but power will be spread resulting in generations of infighting and corruption, keeping China relatively harmless and hamstrung to the rest of the world.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
Interesting...

Keep in mind, I'm an optimistic man.

If the CCP would pay a single cent of compensation, they lose a tremendous amount of face and open a floodgate of other problems, so, they won't... ever. This is going to play out over a long time, but here's what I think is going to happen, in stages:

Stage 1

Before the CCP virus, was already a ticking time-bomb: There's another imminent housing bubble, China has a huge demographic problem (way too many men), the cost of living is going up, big companies like Apple, Sony and Microsoft have been gradually shifting production out of China, Hong Kong Protests, situation with Taiwan, Human rights violations in Xianjang and Tibet and now the CCP virus.
China's economy is not doing great and unlike the West, a recession in China would be a disaster; one of the only reasons the CCP are tolerated by the Chinese people is that they were promised economic success in return for their freedoms.
The CCP will attempt to exploit and profit off the damages the CCP virus has done in the West (they're trying to buy up discounted real-estate in Australia right now), while they might score off this, the West will notice and anger against the CCP will increase, forcing governments to take a harder line against China.

In the next few years, the Chinese economy will slump, but people will generally be kept in check as the government will ratchet up censorship, propaganda, surveillance and the general ethos of an Orwellian state.

Stage 2

By now, most big companies have shifted most of their production out of China. The very structure of the CCP will be its undoing; high-ranking CCP members will begin attempting to jump ship to the West, where their wives, mistresses and children have bought up property, deals will be brokered and they'll be granted asylum. As said, the CCP is comprised of a bunch of sycophants, thieves and opportunists, there's no ideological loyalty and when things go South, they'll happily go West. 

Stage 3

The CCP is a one trick pony, censorship, crackdowns, bribing and propaganda is all they know and it this point, it can no longer delay the inevitable. China will plunge into a depression, Xi will likely be overthrown and the remaining CCP members will be busy backstabbing, jostling for power or trying to escape. The influence China had over the world will diminish as the money will dry up, being lost or embezzled out by escaping CCP members. China wont regress into a failed-state, but it'll be reveal itself as an unstable mess that no business wants to setup shop in.

The CCP will endure, but power will be spread resulting in generations of infighting and corruption, keeping China relatively harmless and hamstrung to the rest of the world.

Haven't finished reading this yet - but they are also trying to buy lots of land in New Zealand as well.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 09:18:06 am »
China repaying anyone for anything is pretty unlikely.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 09:44:42 am »
Yeah, ain't gonna happen ... so not worth thinking about. Our thoughts and opinions have absolutely no impact on the world political stage. We're low level nobodies with no real power in the scheme of things. Just enjoy our lives ... and try not to pollute too much on an individual level. What we say doesn't make a damn bit of difference beyond the people we personally encounter.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 09:47:40 am »
As always, thanks for the interesting reply Aristocrat. Which is more than can be said for Someones Pretty Questionable Response...

It is a very difficult situation, but ultimately things need to be rebuilt. Call it COVID if you want in an attempt to shift blame, but the virus came from China and imo the country should be the one to foot the bill.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 09:48:41 am »
Yeah, ain't gonna happen ... so not worth thinking about. Our thoughts and opinions have absolutely no impact on the world political stage. We're low level nobodies with no real power in the scheme of things. Just enjoy our lives ... and try not to pollute too much on an individual level. What we say doesn't make a damn bit of difference beyond the people we personally encounter.

Right. Which is why it is in the 'discussion' section. Not the 'this is going to change the world' section.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:47 am »
Why discuss something useless? Time is valuable, right? Discussing whether or not something is worth discussing is a discussion in itself. Just giving a heads up.

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 09:55:48 am »
Instead of trying to hopelessly acquire compensation, which is futile; what countries need to do is become less reliant on China. One of the reasons for companies setting up shop in China is the low cost of operating. Perhaps companies could look into other countries like Indonesia or Mexico, where they could operate at a similar price.

On an individual basis, let's try to buy less things that are made in China. That might mean fewer trips to Walmart and the Dollar Store.

Governments also have to put their foot down when it comes to selling off all their real estate to China. China has completely bought out markets like Vancouver, and left everybody else in a very difficult position. One of the reasons I haven't been able to buy real estate is that the Chinese have come in amassed all the decent properties, leaving hard working Canadians with nothing. Our government has sold out to China and its filthy money.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 10:01:25 am »
Thanks for the heads up! I'll now disregard that heads up and do as I wish. You're welcome to move on from this discussion and spend your time doing something you deem more valuable. Just a heads up! See you on another thread.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 10:05:31 am »
Yeah. You're free to waste your time if you wish. Most people do. And they learn that lesson too late in life.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
Instead of trying to hopelessly acquire compensation, which is futile; what countries need to do is become less reliant on China. One of the reasons for companies setting up shop in China is the low cost of operating. Perhaps companies could look into other countries like Indonesia or Mexico, where they could operate at a similar price.

On an individual basis, let's try to buy less things that are made in China. That might mean fewer trips to Walmart and the Dollar Store.

Governments also have to put their foot down when it comes to selling off all their real estate to China. China has completely bought out markets like Vancouver, and left everybody else in a very difficult position. One of the reasons I haven't been able to buy real estate is that the Chinese have come in amassed all the decent properties, leaving hard working Canadians with nothing. Our government has sold out to China and its filthy money.

Completely agree. So many countries around the world who would benefit from additional manufacturing demand. Or failing that, start larger manufacturing in house. I've been practicing a China boycott for the last few months, it's hard! Really puts it into perspective.

Coming from a design background, I'm perhaps more aware of the spiralling costs when opting for the in house method, but is this something we can accept when buying our products? For me, yes. But others I assume may be financially constrained and this ultimately makes the decision for them.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:16 am »
I agree with much of the above about disinvestment from China, but we're basically waiting for multinational corporations and the governments they install to voluntarily withdraw. For all the bluster coming from the US, like the Missouri lawsuit, the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act prevents the US directly seeking compensation. The US doesn't want to be held accountable when it stages some coup in Africa or Latin America and kills a bunch of innocent people, or bombs a wedding in Afghanistan, so it's sacrificed a legal recourse to hold other countries accountable. There is some potential for a private citizen class-action lawsuit against the Chinese government, with Congressional approval, but that's not even in the works yet and its unlikely it would get very far. Basically, if you want cheap shoes, the hidden price you pay is empowering China.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:00:38 pm by fka »

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 10:09:12 am »
You just wasted 10 seconds with that reply. Think of all the things you could have achieved! Just a heads up.

See you later!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 10:10:38 am »

I know some steel / metal production factories were based in mexico already, thanks to some tariffs made by the current US clown in charge, production was brought back to the US, but it was a lot more costly, so a bunch of jobs got axed over it.
While I don't know any news articles or something to support this, I have a friend who worked in one of those companies (I don't know the name of which) and he was laid off for that reason.
I guess, depends on what you are making, mexico and stuff might still be a viable option.

Microsoft is in the works for making a big NZ office. :D

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 10:15:52 am »
Completely agree. So many countries around the world who would benefit from additional manufacturing demand. Or failing that, start larger manufacturing in house. I've been practicing a China boycott for the last few months, it's hard! Really puts it into perspective.

Coming from a design background, I'm perhaps more aware of the spiralling costs when opting for the in house method, but is this something we can accept when buying our products? For me, yes. But others I assume may be financially constrained and this ultimately makes the decision for them.

It's unrealistic to completely boycott, but a significant reduction is certainly doable and something that I've easily managed for a while. 
I agree that it's the best approach to combat China, but that wasn't the point of the thread, which is why many aren't discussing boycotts.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 10:22:22 am »
China is, or was, moving up the value chain. So, moving factories may not have the punishing effect that some may envision.

Also, in the end Americans, and the most people, love cheap prices, so manufacturing will end up in some other cheap country. I don't see many Americans willing to pay more for what they already enjoy cheaper than most industrialized countries. Most cheap stuff won't get made in America. Perhaps high end items, but most stuff is cheap.