Read 438 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
First?

(Not including delivery, car wash, lawncare and store costume odd jobs of grade school...)

My first steady job after high school was selling suits, shirts, ties and winter sweaters in Elk's Mens Wear, working about 20 hours a week during my first year of uni. Great store discounts and first dibs on great new styles!

My favorite summer job was mining assistant because it was my job to handle the dynamite! (Though working as a horse racetrack teller one summer was thrilling too.)

My last job was newspaper reporter in Alberta, responsible for layout as well most of the time. It was the last of a few journalism jobs I had had since uni. In fact, the only jobs i've had since graduation have been in newspapers and classrooms.

I loved the variety of odd jobs i'd done in uni. The list is long and a bit wild. There's a lot of work out there if you need it.

• jimskins
  • Adventurer

• July 02, 2014, 12:34:19 pm
    • Paju
When I was at uni in London I got a Summer job at this little company that supplied bouncy castles to the larger central London parks.  I would get dropped off with a castle, a blower and a generator and set it up and then lie on lip of the castle waving 10 kids on, 10 kids off every 15 minutes (the castle was free).  Fortunately we had great weather that Summer and perks included a 50% discount at the posh cafes in the parks , free beers when they picked us up and dropped us back at the depot and I managed to get three of my friends employed there too (working alongside them) so it was a complete breeze.  They paid us a decent wage all in cash.  It seemed too good to be true, we came to the conclusion it must have been a money laundering front for some East End gang (where did that imagination go?).