Read 437 times

My first job was a bagger at a grocery store and the job right before coming to Korea was a car accident fault analyst for an insurance company.

• CallinIn
  • Adventurer

• January 30, 2018, 01:57:54 am
    • USA
I was crew on a ferry. It was my favorite summer job, and first full-time shift. Aside from occasionally having to deal with the leftovers of drunk, seasick passengers there wasn't much of a downside.

Both part-time jobs through university
Surf instructor and freelance music teacher.

Surf instructing was exhausting and not particularly fun. On the plus side, you got insanely fit.
Teaching music was equally exhausting, as you'd have to drive to 3-4 students in an evening, after university classes. It burnt me out on playing music and resulted in a hiatus of about 2yrs.

Before that I was a debt negotiator for Direct Axis, nothing interesting to mention there.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Domestic Electrical Installation. Fully qualified.
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
First job: Paper boy, when I was in high school.

Last job before I started teaching: Cryptologic Technician, Interpretive. United States Navy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:35:06 pm by Mister Tim »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
I was a film projectionist.
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

I worked at Disney World for a year! I wouldn't say the job itself was my favorite, but the memories it gave me hold a special place in my heart.  ; :azn:

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
I worked at a (small) LSI language school which was a great experience. My boss was really helpful and I got to meet lots of really cool students from all over the world. I was also teaching the B2 classes, so in class we got to talk about lots of interesting stuff. It wasn't full time, but the pay wasn't too bad. I've definitely missed having an extra 15-20 hours a week to pursue my hobbies/other stuff..

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Astronaut and respected film critic.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

First job: seasonal cashier at Michael's Arts and Crafts, which later turned into a part-time supervisor position.

Favorite job: paid internship at Def Jam Records in their PR department while I was in grad school. Loved the people that worked there and the fact that it was paid really helped. Also some of the perks of free concerts/new albums was a big bonus.

Last job before teaching: a temp as a receptionist at a University.

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Loading dock supervisor (acting) at Sears Canada.  Fun job.  Lot's
of girls on the floor.  I don't think Sears Canada even exists anymore.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Loading dock supervisor (acting) at Sears Canada.  Fun job.  Lot's
of girls on the floor.  I don't think Sears Canada even exists anymore.
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
First job: part-timer in a secondhand clothes shop. We got employee discounts and they had some interesting stuff, which is why I ended up wearing a shocking amount of silk shirts to high school. I'd wait a month or two until something ended up on the sales rack (I liked to give the actual customers a fair chance), but then it was mine!

Job right before teaching: summer housing at my university. It wasn't my favorite job, but it wasn't bad, and housing was free. This is the job that taught me about unreasonable customers, ugh.

Favorite job: work study in the special collections section of the college library. If I was at the front desk and there were no customers, I could read or do homework. I was allowed to use the high-powered scanner in the reading room (again, if I wasn't busy). After a year or two, I was given autonomy to do certain projects on my own. One of my actual assignments was to look through like, a medieval book of flowers, and find images that would scan well to make a coloring book for a festival we were going to have a booth at. Another time I had to transcribe these old letters between a goofily cantankerous author and his publisher. We had some good projects and bosses, so I didn't mind that it was basically minimum-wage (hey, I was a college student).

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
First job was doing clean-up on construction sites. Mostly sweeping sawdust out of houses, picking up trash and absorbing prison stories from the guys I worked with.

Favorite job was doing retail / customer service / cheese sampling at an artisan cheese shop. I wore an apron and rubber boots and carried giant wheels of cheese up a rickety old set of stairs. Loved it. I cracked my ribs and had to quit about two weeks in, though. Admittedly, my short time there might account for why I look back on it so fondly.

Least favorite was a glorified janitor ("facilities assistant" was the official title, I think) for a major video game company. I have no interest in video games and got a terrifying insight into the spoiled manbaby culture of the tech industry. The worst moment of the job involved putting on a mask and gloves and using a screwdriver to chip away at the booger stalactite that a former employee had created on the underside of his desk. That job also earned me a prolapsed lumbar disc that still gives me problems.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 03:23:21 pm by fka »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Local newspaper, and it was nothing like 'After Life'. No stories about babies who looked like Hitler or damp patches that resembled Kenneth Branagh. 

Job right before teaching: summer housing at my university. It wasn't my favorite job, but it wasn't bad, and housing was free. This is the job that taught me about unreasonable customers, ugh.

I worked in university housing for about 4 years as a resident assistant throughout undergrad and grad school.....by grad school I was done but kept the job because housing was 75% paid for. I also took up a tutoring job for student-athletes my last year.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Local newspaper, and it was nothing like 'After Life'. No stories about babies who looked like Hitler or damp patches that resembled Kenneth Branagh.

I used to do freelancing for a weekly small-town paper and every assignment was a fluff piece about a local business. Twenty bucks per article. They tried to give me the high school sports beat but I gave it up after attending one girls' volleyball game. I felt like such a creepy weirdo, hanging out alone in the stands, too old to be a student but too young to be a parent, taking photos and scribbling in a notepad.

• maclarent1337
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2019, 07:09:51 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
First job - Flipping burgers at burger king majority of high school.
Favorite job - Video editor / Motion Graphics Artist, which was also the job I had right before coming here. It's a shame the owners were terrible and now the company is going down in flames.

First: apprentice butcher.
Favorite: deckhand on a dredge.
Before Korea: school teacher.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
first: go-kart operator
favourite: teaching IELTS/general english in australia
before korea: journalist