Read 7691 times

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Story Time - Craziest Event You've Witnessed Here
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2020, 01:14:58 pm »
The doorlock closes but if someone knows the code to the doorlock they can open it. (say some creep who likes spanking the monkey behind fridges.)

When you are inside, you can press the button to disable the doorlock (effectively locking it) so no one can get in from the outside.

YES. Someone needs to know the code or have spied on you. But there is a lock on the inside for a reason.

Edit: I'll add that my wife does this when I go out so she feels safer until I get home. No one can get in. Not that there is anyone who would try, but you know, makes her feel better.
There should be some other term for that. Like double locked or lockeder or something.  :laugh:

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2020, 02:12:18 pm »
Both of these happened in my first few months in Korea.

Backstory:
I came to Korea from Japan. Before I left Japan, I developed this year problem. I had fungus in my ear.  :lipsrsealed: It was gross. Anyway, once in a while, it would flare up (I don't know if that is the right word) over the weekend. Sometimes it would impair my hearing and it was painful as well. Usually, if this happened on the weekend, I would wait until Monday to go to my ENT to get it sorted out. I work in a public school, so I would work and then go after work. But this one Sunday, I woke up and I couldn't hear out of that ear and I was in a lot of pain, so I decided to go to ER and see if they could at least clean out my ear so I could get through Sunday and then see my regular doctor on Monday. Anyway, the point is I was at the ER alone but it wasn't a serious situation so I was free to wander around a little bit.

I get the ER and they said an ENT will come in an hour. I was hungry so I decided to find something to eat. The hospital staff said there wasn't anything open in the hospital yet, so I had to go off grounds. I walked around a little bit and found a cafe that was open.  It was either on the side walk, or in the cross walk crossing the street to the cafe, I crossed paths with this man. He looked young, maybe in his 20s. He wasn't in good shape. He was mumbling something and he had what looked like dried up snot from his nose crusted on his face. I thought he was homeless, though I haven't seen homeless people in that area since so I don't know. I didn't feel threatened by him. On the other side of the crosswalk there was a taxi driver hanging outside with this taxi (I think he was wiping it down or doing some maintenance on it because it was parked in front of a garage). I forgot about the guy by the time I got to the cafe.

I get my order to go and it takes a few minutes to prepare. I leave, go back to the crosswalk to wait to cross the street. It's small street and it isn't busy, but I always wait anyway. The taxi driver is still there. I think I was looking down and not paying attention to anything while I waited. When I looked up and that guy is walking towards me, and that is when I remember him before ... kind of like, "oh yeah, that guy I saw on the way here." Only this time he is walking towards me like he is going in for a hug. Imagine how a zombie walks, a bit slow and uneven, but instead of his arms in front of him like a zombie, his were wide open for a hug.

Before I knew it, I was embraced by this man. I remember looking over at the taxi driver with this "WTH" look on my face. He looked surprised too, but he didn't intervene. Then I turned my head because I didn't want my face to touch his because he had the dried up snot on it (that was actually when I noticed the snot, I didn't get a good look at him when I first saw him). I ended up patting his back and saying something stupid like "there, there" or something.  :blank: Then I tried to go. I don't remember him putting up much of fight to try to keep me there, but he was mumbling something, I guess trying to tell me something? Or maybe he just needed a hug?

That happened on my first visit to the hospital in Korea!  :smiley:

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2020, 02:36:03 pm »
I wish I could post my best stories, but I can't because they involve too many personal details about people I know in real life, lol. And my worst stories are a little too serious and buzzkill-y for this site, so I have to pass on those, too.

But the following are just the right mix of safe and bizarre, I think, so here I go.

I've mentioned this a few times before that I've been flashed here several times, and always in open places where you'd assume that stuff like this would never happen. The first time, I was strolling through a park with a friend. It was in the morning (kind of late, like around 10-11) and we were walking along a jogging path, and we saw a guy maybe in his 40s coming from the opposite direction. He's still quite a distance away from us when he steps off the path into one of those little exercise areas that they tend to have around for older folks, which you can't see until you actually get to that portion of the path because of all the bushes and trees in the way. We don't think anything of it because why would we, right? It's a normal thing here, and other people are around, too, they're just farther away. But once we get to that area, I look over while my friend is still talking, and I see this guy standing there waiting for us, with his pants down to his knees, and his hands on his hips, and he's sporting a massive erection. We make eye contact, and I laugh my ass off. My friend notices right after, and she screams a little (from shock because she wasn't expecting it), then starts laughing, too. We say a few disparaging things about his dick, and he got pretty red because I think he was expecting us to panic or something, then we carried on with our conversation and went on our way, but we kept looking back every once in a while to make sure he wasn't following us.

I've already recounted my favorite flasher story on this site before. Happened while I was jogging downtown early in the morning. The furious masturbator. Anyone remember that one?

I've also got my own fair share of public urinators, both drunk and sober, but there was a guy who spent a lot of time positioning himself over a discarded plant by the side of the road. At first I thought this fool was drunk, but he was bent over ass backwards and trying to pretzel himself for what I could only assume was the perfect shot, and it actually required a pretty impressive sense of balance to accomplish. I didn't stick around to see if he succeeded, though.

I've also already mentioned the serial pisser in my building. I don't think he was ever caught, but enough of the residents were putting up enough threatening notes and signs (because my landlord still wasn't going to install CCTV cameras even after having had to clean up someone's piss every week for several months) that I think it finally scared him into compliance. That, or he moved out.

Then there's the usual passed out drunk, but one old guy stands out because he didn't want to go home. He was sleeping on the sidewalk but had his legs out in the road, and these two young police officers were trying to convince him to get up and to go home, but he kept refusing. They tried to make him move, but he just shooed them off. This is while I was walking to the grocery store, and it was something like around 9-10 PM when I passed. When I was heading back, that old guy was still there, sleeping peacefully on the sidewalk, and the officers weren't with him but I noticed they kept patrolling up and down that street. Just as I was getting ready to pass the old guy again, I watched these officers park their car and try to convince the guy again to let them take him home, but he just wasn't having it. He found his spot, he wasn't going to budge, lol.

And there's also that police "chase" I witnessed once, something that I've also posted about here before, but I like this story enough to repeat it. I was walking home along a main street bordering a residential neighborhood when I hear an annoyed monotone voice over a loudspeaker repeatedly telling someone to stop and pull over (or this is what i assumed he was saying later), followed by a few blurbs of the siren. This kept repeating over and over again, and, while the volume of the voice and siren rose and fell, I couldn't tell where it was coming from because of the weird echoing effect that the buildings had. After about 5 minutes of this, as I was approaching a T-intersection that opened up onto the main road from the neighborhood, a truck zoomed out while being tailed by a cop car. I say zoomed because he failed to stop or yield for oncoming traffic, but he was going maybe 20 mph at most. Like, it could have been slower because it felt like such a crawl for a vehicle. I watched as this guy slowly drove around and back into the neighborhood through another small road, with the cop car following very closely behind him, and I continued to hear the siren blurbs and the loudspeaker pretty much nonstop during this low-speed chase. Every once in a while I'd see the truck and the cop car come out onto the main road only to disappear back into the neighborhood, all the while just crawling along at very low speeds, and with the officer's voice tone never changing. He could have just been  very sternly telling people to mind the gap. At some point, they exit through a road just as I managed to get there, and I actually made eye contact with the guy driving the truck. He had the most bored, I-don't-give-a-**** expression on his face, lol, and he looked at me like he was the most gangsta person in a non-gangsta world. I died. I was kind of surprised at how young he was, though, because this was one of those bongo type of trucks and he looked like he was maybe in his late 20s. Like fruit-truck ahjusshi gone wild. When thinking about this later, I've theorized that maybe the truck was stolen. But anyway, I didn't get to see the end of the car chase. They disappeared down the main road before I got to my turn.

That's it for now, but I might come posting more as I think of them during free time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:17:19 pm by Chinguetti »

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
I'm rather concerned about the number of people who don't know how doors work.  :sad:
Soggy undergarments

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2020, 03:20:21 pm »
As entertaining as these stories are (seriously, keep em coming), I fear nothing will compare to the man in a business suit breaking into a tiny apartment and jizzing next to the fridge while the occupants are mid-convo. Simply bizarre. And C02 won the internet with that police sketch, no contest

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2020, 08:47:33 pm »
This covid19 school closure / delay is the craziest thing I've seen since being in Korea.
People absolutely hysterically scared of something that is almost non-existent and you have a higher chance of dying in almost everything else out there than covid19.   I could literally give you all stats proving that covid19 is the LEAST of your worries right now and how you are more in danger of your own life simply by getting out of bed.  It's a fact.

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2020, 07:15:11 am »
In my countryside middle school years ago, the father of one of my students who was a farmer, drank all morning and then turned up with a massive hammer around lunchtime because his daughter had told him that another girl teased her.  He wanted to 'sort it out'

At my other countryside middle school, the head teacher had to be physically restrained by other teachers from beating the crap out a student because he kept lying.  This same head teacher I've known since I first came and he used to be really nice and friendly until we went on a 3 day teachers' trip and after dinner, he took a call from someone, and was so angry he threw his iPhone off a cliff into the sea.  We never found out what the call was, but since then he'd changed and all my friends say it.   

My trip to Dokdo with my middle school teacher, which I've mentioned before.  A four-hour boat ride on a small boat from Ullreungdo which was really rough, and basically everybody was puking.  There was sick everywhere.  I have decent sea legs so it wasn't a problem for me except there was only one toilet on this boat and one person decided to spend the whole trip in there so no one else could use it.  Everything got worse because it was too rough to dock in Dokdo, so we circled twice and then came back......for another four hours of sea sickness.

Actually, there was another teachers' trip with the same middle school (I miss those trips as schools don't really do them anymore) where we went to Mokpo for a couple of nights.  We got there, went out to dinner and all of the teachers drank a ton, and then came back to the pension for the curriculum meeting.  Two teachers fell asleep from the alcohol, and there was a 'lack of focus'.
 Can't help thinking it'd be better to have the meeting before everyone got wasted. 

At that same middle school, I did summer camp.  Which also involved me playing golf on the roof with the students.  We had a golf range there.  Thing was, there was a wasps' nest.  I mentioned to the janitor guy that we couldn't play golf as the wasps were a little angry and may sting the students.  He went up there smoked them out.  Took the nest, fried the larvae and about an hour later the teachers were 'enjoying' them in the teachers' room.  'Ronnie T, would you like some?' 'Erm, no, you're alright thanks'

These possibly aren't 'crazy', just interesting experiences.  It's kind of difficult to shock me....

No wait.....following on from Mister Tim's story, I did see someone park a car properly, but that was a while back and the details are a little hazy...

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2020, 07:48:48 am »

At that same middle school, I did summer camp.  Which also involved me playing golf on the roof with the students.  We had a golf range there.  Thing was, there was a wasps' nest.  I mentioned to the janitor guy that we couldn't play golf as the wasps were a little angry and may sting the students.  He went up there smoked them out.  Took the nest, fried the larvae and about an hour later the teachers were 'enjoying' them in the teachers' room.  'Ronnie T, would you like some?' 'Erm, no, you're alright thanks'
Err.. This is my favourite one so far

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2020, 08:10:06 am »
I have been seeing a lot of older drunk ajusshis pissing in the bushes or restaurant car parks recently!  Also saw one, taking a piss on the motorway during busy traffic! He didn't give AF about anything but pissing!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2020, 08:28:19 am »
I really enjoyed the premise of this thread, and I feel that it's getting a bit sidetracked, so I'm going to split the topic, with the semantic arguments in a new thread, 'k?

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=119901.20;topicseen
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:59:42 am by kyndo »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2020, 08:34:11 am »
I really enjoyed the premise of this thread, and I feel that it's getting a bit sidetracked, so I'm going to split the topic, with the semantic argument in a new thread, 'k?

Understandable, thank you for your service.

Unfortunately I'm too new here to have any weird stories to contribute :(

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2020, 09:17:31 am »
I'm too new here to have any weird stories to contribute :(
Gotta stop locking your door yo

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2020, 09:42:25 am »
I have been seeing a lot of older drunk ajusshis pissing in the bushes or restaurant car parks recently!  Also saw one, taking a piss on the motorway during busy traffic! He didn't give AF about anything but pissing!
this is just a normal, everyday occurrence. saw an old guy just pissing next to the busy subway entrance the other day. there's a toilet in the subway, and also a few metres away in the dept store.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2020, 10:16:33 am »
These 2 happened last year:
At one of my schools, a bunch of students got really bored during their math class. At this school, I get to the classroom during the break to set up, and chat with the kids.
During the math class, they had been doing things to an old cellphone battery, and as soon as the Korean teacher left, and I came in, they used said battery to start a fire in the classroom.
I managed to yell at them, and one of my good student's told them to put the fire out for me. Luckily, it never got too big, and was put out pretty quickly but, the students didn't even care.

2nd story: some of the students from the first story, bullied the special needs student in the grade below them. Eventually the special needs student snapped, and brought his father's combat army knife to school, and attempted to cut / stab the student's bullying him. Luckily, at the time I was chatting with the special needs student, and a couple of my high level students, and I was between him and the bullies. I had to physically restrain the student with the knife, and had to get one of my high level students to run to get a Korean teacher. They managed to get my co-teacher at that school and the principal.
Once the teacher and principal arrived, the student dropped the knife, and a lot of students got in trouble. I think the bullying stopped, or died down a lot, around this point too.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2020, 11:39:40 am »
this is just a normal, everyday occurrence. saw an old guy just pissing next to the busy subway entrance the other day. there's a toilet in the subway, and also a few metres away in the dept store.

Honestly, I read about this all the time but have only seen outdoor pissing maybe twice in four years in Korea. I'm sure it happens, and maybe I'm just unusually inattentive to it, but somehow it's just not something I ever encounter. I've seen it way more in France and Italy. I did see some young (maybe 7 and 9 years old?) Filipino girls yank their underwear down and piss in the middle of the street outside their parents' restaurant in Daejeon once.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2020, 11:42:06 am »
I did see some young (maybe 7 and 9 years old?) Filipino girls yank their underwear down and piss in the middle of the street outside their parents' restaurant in Daejeon once.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2020, 11:52:02 am »
Yikes, does Daejeon have *that* kind of reputation? I haven't seen anything too bad here yet

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2020, 11:57:34 am »
The Filipino restaurant was across the street from Palsa Beer Salon (where I was perched at the window, watching the action unfold). Not sure whether it's still there or if they've started using indoor toilets, but I highly recommend a visit to Palsa if you haven't been there yet.

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2020, 12:06:05 pm »

You know that means something CO3?

Interesting,
Tradition and Culture,
Science and Technology.

I like Daejeon as I live fairly close, as a proud Chungnamian  :-*

My favourite so far has been...

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do