Read 836 times

Coming to Korea with a long-term visa: Quarantine options
« on: May 03, 2020, 01:23:39 am »
Hey all,
I'm on an F visa and I'm trying to get into Korea, but it's proving to be tricky and I'm wondering if any of you might have some insights. Foreigners on a short term visa are subject to a a two-week, government run "facility quarantine," but foreigners like myself with long term visas are asked to quarantine at home. However, the "home" in Korea where I would be staying has two potentially vulnerable older folk, one of whom works at a nursing home with definitely vulnerable folk, not to mention my two year old daughter and pregnant wife. They understandably do not want me to quarantine at home, nor would I want to. I would like to participate in the government program, but we are being told that this is not available to me because of my long-term visa status. However, we're also being told that I wouldn't be able to shelter in a hotel room or the like, even though I have a Korean (citizen) friend who returned to Korea in early April from America and was able to quarantine in a hotel. We are being told that if we want to go that route, *my family* would have to move into a hotel for two weeks while I shelter in their house. That's not going to happen. But, I have another friend who is (Korean-)American but whose parents are Korean living in Korea, and when she flew to Korea in early April, she wanted to shelter at home, but she was made to go into the government quarantine facility, which is what I want for myself!

Does anybody know somebody who knows somebody who was faced with this sort of situation? I will not go if I have to quarantine at my parents'-in-law home. You'd think if they would deny me a place in the government facility and group me with Korean nationals, then they should also allow me to take up residence in a hotel for two weeks as they allowed my friend to do. The last thing I want to do is blow money on a ticket only to be sent back to America because I refused to shelter with a vulnerable population.

Any advice/insights/anecdotes would be appreciated.

n.b. this is Donovan.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:54:28 am by Don Hobak »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Coming to Korea with a long-term visa: Quarantine options
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 05:45:40 pm »
Instead of a hotel, what if you got a lease at a goshiwon?

I believe immigration counts that as a residence.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:04:33 am »
That may work. We’ll have to run it past the authorities and see if it takes. Thanks, Mister!

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 06:52:00 am »
Hey all,
I'm on an F visa and I'm trying to get into Korea, but it's proving to be tricky and I'm wondering if any of you might have some insights. Foreigners on a short term visa are subject to a a two-week, government run "facility quarantine," but foreigners like myself with long term visas are asked to quarantine at home. However, the "home" in Korea where I would be staying has two potentially vulnerable older folk, one of whom works at a nursing home with definitely vulnerable folk, not to mention my two year old daughter and pregnant wife. They understandably do not want me to quarantine at home, nor would I want to. I would like to participate in the government program, but we are being told that this is not available to me because of my long-term visa status. However, we're also being told that I wouldn't be able to shelter in a hotel room or the like, even though I have a Korean (citizen) friend who returned to Korea in early April from America and was able to quarantine in a hotel. We are being told that if we want to go that route, *my family* would have to move into a hotel for two weeks while I shelter in their house. That's not going to happen. But, I have another friend who is (Korean-)American but whose parents are Korean living in Korea, and when she flew to Korea in early April, she wanted to shelter at home, but she was made to go into the government quarantine facility, which is what I want for myself!

Does anybody know somebody who knows somebody who was faced with this sort of situation? I will not go if I have to quarantine at my parents'-in-law home. You'd think if they would deny me a place in the government facility and group me with Korean nationals, then they should also allow me to take up residence in a hotel for two weeks as they allowed my friend to do. The last thing I want to do is blow money on a ticket only to be sent back to America because I refused to shelter with a vulnerable population.

Any advice/insights/anecdotes would be appreciated.

n.b. this is Donovan.

Move the older people into a hotel for two weeks problem solved.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:51:20 am »
Nah, I don’t hold that kind of sway in the household. It turns out there are certain designated quarantine hotels set up for people in my kind of situation, but for some reason none of the authorities we talked to thought to recommend them.