Read 2153 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Tell me a random fact.
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 08:55:57 am »
I removed a comment not because it was untrue or uninteresting, per se, but because it would inevitably transform this thread into another political hate-fest.

Every middle school boy in the Anglosphere circa 1990 has, at one point, typed in the number "5318008" in his calculator and showed it to his friend while sniggering.

Um, I remember this from 1976 (big clunky calculators witth red LED read-outs).
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2020, 08:59:31 am »
Which is really weird because some fish (carp) actually produce alcohol as a metabolic waste product. Typically they only do this in the winter when the water has almost no Oxygen: they switch to anaerobic metabolic cycles which turn lactic acid into ethanol.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2020, 09:39:24 am »
Which is really weird because some fish (carp) actually produce alcohol as a metabolic waste product. Typically they only do this in the winter when the water has almost no Oxygen: they switch to anaerobic metabolic cycles which turn lactic acid into ethanol.

#FishFacts hahaha Probably the weirdest class I took in college on vertebrate physiology - but the professor was an ichthyologist and didn't care for much else. Strange, horrifying, so immensely intriguing doing and watching labs documenting changes in aggression or mating behaviors in drunk fish.

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2020, 11:30:51 am »
Speaking of marine animals, I learned this bit back in college (I forgot some of the details and a quick google search has failed me, so you'll get what I can remember or misremember).

A lobster's gender is partially due to the presence or absence of a specific organ inside of its body. If it has this organ, it's female, but if you remove this organ, it will take on male characteristics, both physically and behaviorally; however, this process is not reversible, so it will forever remain in a transitional she-male state.

This might pale in comparison to fish that can actually change from female to fertile males, but there's something about the frankenscience behind what we know about lobsters that makes it more interesting to me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:36:30 am by Chinguetti »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2020, 11:50:48 am »
Makes sense in that a male is  basically just a genetically degenerated female (in humans, the Y-chromosome is essentially the same as an X chromosome minus a few thousand genes). Also interesting is that the Y-chromosome is the only one (in humans) that can't fix itself, which means over time, it will continue to degenerate, and possibly even disappear entirely in a few million years.

Not to worry, though: there are several species out there (birds and lizards, mostly) where this has already happened for one reason or another, and they have managed to survive as a single gender by reproducing parthenogenetically for the last couple aeons.

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:17 am »
Yeah, and the more I think about it, the more I think I got the details reversed.

I think if it has this organ, it's male, and if you remove the organ, it slowly morphs into a female. But, even if you stick the organ back into the lobster, it never fully transitions back into a male and will forever remain in a she-male state.

That sounds right, lol.

• Salem7
  • Newgookin

• February 11, 2020, 11:02:44 am
    • Korea
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2020, 12:47:32 pm »
Recently learned that "twirlblast" & "twirlwind" were 18th-century names for a tornado.
"Hey! Wait! I've got a new complaint."

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2020, 01:27:11 pm »
the unicorn is the national animal of Scotland

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2020, 01:57:51 pm »
Don't eat the yellow snow.

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2020, 02:34:18 pm »
Mountain Dew was specifically to be a mixer for whiskey.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2020, 02:58:51 pm »
Mountain Dew was specifically to be a mixer for whiskey.

thats wild! is that good? now i gotta try it..