Read 1693 times

EPIK Summer English Camps/Summer Vacation
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:10:22 am »
EPIK teachers, how are your MOEs/POEs/schools handling summer English camps and your summer vacation? Have you heard anything about camp decisions? Has your MOE stepped in and made decisions on how to handle camp this summer, or they leaving the decisions up to your school? Due to the shortened summer vacation periods, are your schools forgoing summer camp this year? Are your contracted vacation days going to take priority over camp?

I think most schools have around two weeks of summer vacation this year. For those of us with August contracts, we typically have around 8-10 contract vacation days left. So I'm curious as to how camp is going to be handled as that only leaves two to three days for camp.

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: EPIK Summer English Camps/Summer Vacation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:43:41 am »
In Daejeon, the office of education sent out a notice telling the schools that depending on the discretion of the principal, summer English camp is permitted to be cancelled.

So depending on how the school makes there new schedule, some may have camp and some may not. A friend of mines next semester starts the next day after this semester. So her school has cancelled camp.

My school hasn't made a new schedule yet, so I don't know what the principal is thinking.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:47:41 am »
Below are my predictions:

Summer camps will happen and they will be used as an additional child minding service (more so than usual). Expect grades 1-6 together in smaller schools.

You will not be allowed to leave the country during your holiday period, so forget about a long weekend trip to Japan for example. The only reason you will be allowed to leave the country, is if you return to your home country.

I expect the 14 day quarantine to last well beyond the summer for people returning to Korea from abroad so that may make returning home to your home country hard. Unless you are quitting.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:49:09 am »
my school doesn't do camp, but your vacation should be considered more of a priority....especia lly if your contract ends in fall because it is a contractual obligation to give you so much vacation per year

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 09:52:35 am »
my school doesn't do camp, but your vacation should be considered more of a priority....especia lly if your contract ends in fall because it is a contractual obligation to give you so much vacation per year

Camp is a not a necessity in your contract? May I know what province you work in?

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 09:54:10 am »
No, it's not a necessity, however, should my school want one, of course, I would be contractually obliged to do so.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 10:15:57 am »
I have not heard anything about it. I would love to ask but when I ask about future events, it only causes a lot of confusion. Not to mention how often things change, it could be off but last minute on.  so I'll be prepared to do one, but am praying it's cancelled. My KT is pretty awesome about advocating for me as far as the best time for my vacation and that i need time off to rest.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:22:16 am »
my school doesn't do camp
Where do you people find these schools, seriously?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 10:28:44 am »
School has 3 weeks of vacation. 1 weeks of camp, (me teaching morning and afternoon - normally 2 weeks of mornings) 2 weeks of my vacation. (I have 12 days left - August 25th contract. - Will use the 2 extra days during exams)

Hoping to travel but meh, you know how it is. See what is open nearer the time.

Notably, I only return to school for 2 days. (August 24th + 25th), so might talk about taking those 2 days as my vacation. Then 14 day quarantine is not an issue.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 10:34:51 am »
My school is doing a 3 day camp and I'm only taking 2 days off because the vacation period runs past my contract finish date. As a result I'm taking off fri afternoons every week for the rest of my contract / whenever I can.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 10:36:31 am »
I am scheduled to do camps this summer vacation as we have an extra long vacation time due to major construction work (earthquake strengthening). 

I have a few ideas but until I know for sure if the camps will go ahead (due to Covid-19) I am not going to spend much time planning.  It is possible/probable that all the group activities etc may not be allowed to be done which will change the way I do camps.  Nobody really knows what is happening so I am not putting pressure on my co-teachers.  Meanwhile I am thinking of some things - but as I said, not doing much work preparing things yet.  Maybe school will have me doing phone/zoom/ conversations with students???  Who knows.

I am not sure if I will be doing 2 or 4 camps this summer.  Our school won't get a winter vacation - just 1 week spring vacation!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:22 pm »
No word from my POE about what's happening with camps. We figure they are leaving it up for the schools to decide. If any issues arise between NETs and teaching camps then the POE might step in.

My handler was trying to schedule a five day camp despite the fact I have 10 contracted vacation days, and there are only 12 summer vacation days. They were trying to get me to teach the entire camp, and then take my vacation when school starts up again. I stood my ground, and we settled on me teaching 3 days of camp with them teaching the other two. I'll start back to work a day later than the school starts, but I'm finished with my contract on August 25th. Honestly, I was really hoping to not be teaching camp at all this summer. I think if I was still working with my old coteacher, she would have advocated for no camp. Bright side, three days is better than five.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 01:36:26 pm »
Our education office has stated that, it's up to the school, but if you are an August hire, you need to use up all your vacation during this period. We need to try be a bit flexible too. So, because vacation can be used during the semester now, you might have to use your vacation before the summer vacation period, if your school is dead set on camp. However, with that in mind, the expectation is: because the summer vacation is so short, students and teachers alike will most likely want the entire summer vacation period to relax, camps seem unlikely, but it's up to each individual school.

My school isn't sure what they will do yet. With students likely to be back in May, I don't think they will want me to take time off during the semester, since I haven't had to do anything since winter camp. So, I'm expecting summer camp to be cancelled this year.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 01:37:58 pm »
Below are my predictions:

Summer camps will happen and they will be used as an additional child minding service (more so than usual). Expect grades 1-6 together in smaller schools.

You will not be allowed to leave the country during your holiday period, so forget about a long weekend trip to Japan for example. The only reason you will be allowed to leave the country, is if you return to your home country.

I expect the 14 day quarantine to last well beyond the summer for people returning to Korea from abroad so that may make returning home to your home country hard. Unless you are quitting.

We got told, self-isolation rules are still in effect. Your schools probably won't like you traveling. If you do, or have to, travel - the self-isolation period will require vacation use, or unpaid time off

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 03:26:31 pm »
every year: camps are very important, we cannot cut camps

every year: oh btw. you have no budget, we don't know how many students are coming. no, you can't use any of the school materials.

every year: day 1=20 student, day 10 = 2 students