Read 430 times

My 2 1 2 2 Proposal
« on: April 24, 2020, 09:03:10 am »
For a long time now, I've been sharing my idea about a 2 1 2 2 system for working life.
What is the 2 1 2 2 system?

It's 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, and 2 days off.   Basically, it works as a 4 day work week.  Now hold on.
Before you start thinking I'm just lazy and trying to come up with some excuse to work less and get paid more,
this isn't the case.

Here me out.

Why is it that the countries that have the most success and prosperity also seem to have the highest cases
of depression, suicide, divorces, broken families, abandoned elderly, disgruntled workers/job dissatisfaction etc.
You would think that poorer/developing countries would have more depression and suicides because of the drab conditions
they live in and the bleak future they face, but quite opposite, they seem to be the most happy and socially close-knit with their
families, and communities.

One of the factors I think would help improve our personal health (mental, emotional, social, physical) would be to have a little more
time outside of "work".  The 2 1 2 2 system would look something like this:  You come in and work on Monday, Tuesday, you get Wednesday off, and come back for Thursday and Friday and then get your usual weekend off.    If you guys remember, we actually had this little experiment done last year.  We had back to back weeks of red letters days that fell on a Wednesday, do you remember that?

Do you also remember how you felt during those two weeks?  I don't know about you but I was self-analyzing myself during those 2 weeks of my 2 1 2 2 system because that was a great opportunity to get to try it out.   The result?  Night and day difference.

Not only did the week seem to go by much faster,  there wasn't even a concept of a week anymore.   It felt like we had 2 fridays in a week (Tuesday and Friday).  I had more energy, I was more productive and enthusiastic at work, I felt more relieved and tension leave my body and mind as I had that extra time to take care of other things.   It may seem counter-intuitive to our thinking because generally we assume that the more we work, the more productive we'd be.  But it's quite the opposite.  While you may gain in areas due to working more, you lose a lot more due to loss of health, fatigue, family/social tensions/stress, and you have less productive working force with higher costs of treatment and a higher cost to families and society in ways we don't really see.

Normally we think of Monday as being the dreaded day coming off the weekend and we're depressed (Monday blues), and we call Wednesday the "hump" day meaning we are half way through the week and the worst is over cuz the weekend is rolling around soon.  But 2 1 2 2 gets rid of the hump day.  It destroys the notion or idea of a weekend and like a marathon, the key is to run at a steady and comfortable pace at which you can tire out least and win the race.  2 1 2 2 would allow you to keep this pace for years without burn out even if you didn't have any more 1 month vacations (of course we'll still keep that).   If you sprint and stop to take a rest and sprint and stop, sprint and stop, that person will not succeed in a marathon as well as someone who is consistent and steady, not over bearing or exhausting themselves to the point of getting sick and faltering at all other responsibilities in their life.

This also isn't meant to be mandatory.  It should be optional.  You can do the 4 days on and 3 days off (4 3) system if you want, or if you are a workholic and love working (many who love their work/job and don't consider it as work) can choose to work 5 days straight or even more if they want.  Having the 2 1 2 2 system available would be invaluable.

This wouldn't only be for adults and the working force.  This would also be applied to students and schooling.  As we have already experienced during this pandemic lockdown, kids don't need to be at school 5 days a week.   The level of online education, resources, and technology allows us to do this format because it's more like 4 days in class at school and 1 day to self-study at home via technology.  They'd still be getting their education but utliizing a more holistic approach.   It's clear unequivocally now that we don't need 5 day school weeks.  I was just taking a look at some of the online ebs curriculum and resources the students have available to them and OH MY LORD was I bang on point.  They have a plethora of amazing content, videos, songs, exercises, assignments, rewards, games, incentives, etc and when I even got to ask some students about it, they loved it.  And this isn't even scratching the surface of what unconventional schooling/education is going to look like.  Wait until A.I. is out full-fledge and Virtual reality technologies.  There is no need for this old 5 day work/school week form factor anymore.   

2 1 2 2 will not only keep everything pretty much intact (production, progress, development rate), it will greatly increase the satisfaction and well-being of all employees, students, and societies in general.  People will be allowed to have more creativity, integrate their lives better with technology, explore and discover things they didn't have a chance to, and do it all with less stress, more freedom, less restraints, and overall should improve the quality of life.

For the next 2 weeks, I will be able to test this out again for myself thanks to my school who approved my request (only since we're still in this covid19 lockdown), so I'm going to get to do my 2 1 2 2 system, come in Mon and Tue, get Wed off (work from home), come in Thu, and Fri, and have Sat, Sun off and repeat.   

The world may one day look back and see that I was onto something, but right now, they are not likely to allow this widescale.  I know some countries or some parts of the world are already trying a 4 day work week sort of format, but I don't know the specifics on that.

Anyways, just my theory/proposal and I got to live it out last year for 2 weeks and now for another 2 weeks this year.   Try it for yourselves.  You will not believe how good you feel by working in a 2 1 2 2 system.   Brought to you by fruitloops.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: My 2 1 2 2 Proposal
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:05:56 am »
when i taught ESL in australia i only worked a 4-day week. it was great. we just shifted 25% of the work to the other 4 working days, so we worked the same, but got more time off. it was such a happy work environment

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 09:20:52 pm »
when i taught ESL in australia i only worked a 4-day week. it was great. we just shifted 25% of the work to the other 4 working days, so we worked the same, but got more time off. it was such a happy work environment

I know some countries have experimented with this 4 day work week and if anyone hasn't tried this or experienced it, you must (somehow lol).   I'm telling you, it changes everything.  The notion of grinding 5 days a week just so you can look forward to 2 days off is not a healthy recipe.
Under my 2 1 2 2 system, the longest you'd have to work consecutive days is just 2 days.  2 DAYS!  No more monday blues, no more hump day, no more idea of a work week. It's just life and a good one :)  And you really enjoy going to work under this format and feel refreshed each day.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 05:21:20 am »
I dunno if farming, banking, finance, and legal sectors would go for it.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 06:49:33 am »
Just take Wednesday afternoons off and go sailing like the shopkeepers do in Auckland, New Zealand.

France has 5 weeks of paid vacation but the U.S. of A has ZERO mandated paid days off.

Stunning.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 08:12:26 am »
Just take Wednesday afternoons off and go sailing like the shopkeepers do in Auckland, New Zealand.

France has 5 weeks of paid vacation but the U.S. of A has ZERO mandated paid days off.

Stunning.
Similar in Canada too, 7-10 days to start, if you're lucky, and 1 additional day for every year of service. And that's working a good paying white-collar job. Although around Christmas there is usually at least 1 week of essentially a company shutdown (starting Dec 23-ish to maybe a few day after New Year's Day).