Read 20998 times

Bus Options from Busan to Seoul?
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »
Hello!

I am interested in finding a cheaper option than the KTX to get from Busan to Seoul.  I'm not very familiar with Busan, its transportation options or the layout of the city.  We'll be staying near Hauendae Beach. Does anyone have any suggestions for bus companies? Or regular train?

Thanks for any advice!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Bus Options from Busan to Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
Sitting on the floor of a regular mugunghwa train should run under 20 bucks. Don't know about the cost for a reserved seat, but I'd expect it to be cheap. There was a thread on this not too long ago actually. The bus is very cheap, but its 6 hours in minimal traffic, up to 10 sometimes allegedly. Stick with the mugunghwa if cash is really that much of an issue.

Busan has an extensive subway network and 3 main Korail train stations: Gupo (west side, services regular trains, slow KTX), Busan (south side, services all trains, including the regular KTX) and Haeundae (far east side, services regular trains headed towards Ulsan/Gyeongju). To take the subway from Gupo to Haeundae, via the shortcut line (Three, or Brown in the new system), its about 1 hour and just over 1000 won. The city has two main bus terminals for intercity use, one at Yangsan (far, far north) and one at Sasang (very near Gupo).

On the bright side, if you end up taking a train and go via Ulsan, the stretch of tracks between Ulsan and Haeundae is amazingly pretty.

I'd also consider sleeper options (ferry, train) as if you have more time than money, they can save you a night's accommodation. But really, if its just for the weekend, I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra. Put it this way, I manage that trip on minimum wage twice a month.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• alecat
  • Waygookin

• November 06, 2010, 12:27:00 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »
I believe right now you can take advantage of a free shuttle bus between seoul and busan exclusively for foreigners (promoting tourism).
The phone number our company gave us about the free shuttle is 1577-2507.
If you look up Free Shuttle Seoul Busan online, you should be able to find out additional info.

Good luck :)

• teacher25
  • Waygookin

• September 02, 2010, 11:06:01 am
    • Ansan
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:17:15 pm »
Don't take the bus! Don't do it!! I did it once and it took 7 hours there and 9 hours back!!!

• kissdisap
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2010, 07:49:04 am
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:08:59 pm »
I believe right now you can take advantage of a free shuttle bus between seoul and busan exclusively for foreigners (promoting tourism).
The phone number our company gave us about the free shuttle is 1577-2507.
If you look up Free Shuttle Seoul Busan online, you should be able to find out additional info.

Good luck :)

http://english.visitkoreayear.com/english/benefit/benefit_07_01_01.asp#

Here's the shuttle bus info.  If you're looking to save $ and have the time, it's not bad.  But if you're short on time and rich on money, other options are probably preferable - although you did want something cheaper than the KTX.

• tealeeds
  • Adventurer

• January 20, 2011, 10:46:34 am
    • yangsan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »
Shuttel shizzle....
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FU/FU_EN_15.jsp?cid=1214472

but, dont do it.

minimum 5hrs, and a booked seat on Mugungwha is only W25,000 each way - and they have Noreabang rooms, Tekken 5 machines and they sell food n beer.

KTX is quicker, but its 44,000 each way...

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:24:18 pm »
http://www.kobus.co.kr/web/eng/index.jsp

this website has lots of bus info, but its not comprehensive.

naver's map feature is extremely useful, but its only in korean.  it can tell you the shortest route between two places, the cost of a cab vs bus, etc. 

if you find three other people to travel with on the KTX you can get something like a 40% discount on a round trip ticket, but you have to buy four tickets together.

i recommend that you register with Korail to take advantage of the points system they have. just about every 8th ticket will be free.  if you take the train a lot, its nice.  again, this is only in korean 

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:37 pm »
Don't take the bus! Don't do it!! I did it once and it took 7 hours there and 9 hours back!!!

When did you travel? I`ve took the bus many times and it`s took a little over 5 hours each time (bar national holidays/chusok obviously).

• teacher25
  • Waygookin

• September 02, 2010, 11:06:01 am
    • Ansan
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:37 am »
Yes... it was over Chuseouk but I don't ever want to sit on a bus again after that!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:30:45 pm »
http://www.kobus.co.kr/web/eng/index.jsp

this website has lots of bus info, but its not comprehensive.

I live in Seoul, girlfriend lives in Masan (near Busan) and I take the bus once or twice a month down there. If you can read Korean, the Korean side of the Kobus site is pretty easy to find and purchase tickets. There are two types of buses, one is about 30k won (one way), the other is about 20k won. The difference is a little bit nicer seats, but not a big difference. Both take about 4 hours everytime (excluding holiday weekends). In fact, last week the bus driver got us back to Seoul in just under 4 hours. So, 50,000 won at 8 hours, or 100,000 won at 6 hours...your choice.