Read 878 times

Hi everyone!  I'd like some opinions and possible advice about the next steps I should take and how to do it.  I'll tell you what I think I could do but any other information or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Problem:
- I applied for my lump sum pension in the last week of March to receive it via a bank wire transfer to my Bank of America account in America.  The clerk I worked with informed me that I should receive my lump sum pension refund on April 12 or around that date.  It was understood as well based on my departure date on my airplane tix when I would be leaving which was April 2nd.  I left Korea and arrived in America as scheduled.  It's 9 days passed the April 12th date, and I'm a little worried.

- How common has it been for others who applied for the lump sum pension refund to be transferred to their bank accounts (domestic or foreign, I assumed doesn't make much difference) to experience a delay in receiving their refund?

My thoughts:
The only thing that comes to mind now is I still have my ARC, and the repossession of that would let the Korean govt. know of my official leave.  When I was leaving the airport I told my airline check in clerks I was leaving and not coming back (probably doesn't matter at all), then I went through customs, BUT no one person was working the desks (due to COVID19 risks).  Everyone HAD to go through the self serving automated machines.  So there was no one to ask me specific information about my travels and plans, which is why I still have my ARC card.  Korea officially has no way to record in their system that I've left for good.  The only way for them to know at this point I imagine is once my e-2 visa expires, which expires at the end of June.  Short story is I got honored an early contract completion due to the global pandemic and left early.  But who's going to be around to re-check the applications once the update in the system has occurred?

Does it seem reasonable that having not returned my ARC is why I havn't received my pension yet?  If I must return my ARC, I'd gladly mail it to the correct authorities, but could one of you possibly point me in the right direction?
"To love completely and hold onto nothing-that is the only freedom." -David Deida
"If at first glance it may appear too hard, look again. Always look again." - Unknown

Re: Receiving Pension date has passed, not received... what do I do now?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 08:10:56 am »
It's much more likely they misspoke and meant May 12th. Its usually a 6 week turn around.
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 08:43:23 am »
You can probably mail it to the immigration for the district you were living, with a note about leaving for good but couldn't turn in the card. When you apply for pension, it really only matters that you left the country. They will have a record of you leaving, there is a document they can pull with all of your entries and exits. People on marriage visas have quit their jobs, left the country briefly and then come right back. Your job will have submitted paperwork to the appropriate authorities that you are no longer employed so that with you actually leaving the country should suffice. Just wait it out and see. If it doesn't arrive within 6 weeks, try other options.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:37:16 am »
Center for International Affairs of the National Pension Service at Tel: +82-2-2176-8721

https://www.korea4expats.com/article-National-pension-information-training-foreigners.html

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:43:16 pm »
You can probably mail it to the immigration for the district you were living, with a note about leaving for good but couldn't turn in the card. When you apply for pension, it really only matters that you left the country. They will have a record of you leaving, there is a document they can pull with all of your entries and exits. People on marriage visas have quit their jobs, left the country briefly and then come right back. Your job will have submitted paperwork to the appropriate authorities that you are no longer employed so that with you actually leaving the country should suffice. Just wait it out and see. If it doesn't arrive within 6 weeks, try other options.

I also didn’t return my ARC, since I was unsure if I was coming back. As the expiration date approached, I called immigration and they told me to just drop it off next time I’m I arrive.

I had my pension paid into my Korean account; it isn’t linked with departure. [edit: they check for a one-way ticket out, but that’s it. Pension and immigration computers are not linked... well not last spring anyway.]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:45:08 am by JNM »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 09:58:14 pm »
The first time i collected my pension was in 2009.
I was quoted a 2-week wait, so i spent a month in Chaing Mai, Thailand and the money was deposited one day short of three weeks after departure.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 08:27:24 am »
It's much more likely they misspoke and meant May 12th. Its usually a 6 week turn around.
IRC this was about how long mine took. They don't like to write those big checks.