Read 13464 times

Re: Quote: Most Nets are overweight (LI)
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2020, 11:19:38 am »
It's basically the most inaccurate way of checking because it's based on comparing you to an average, and that average isn't formulated to accommodate anything that could affect those numbers.

For people who don't understand why this matters, bodybuilders are considered morbidly obese according to their BMIs.

It's just the fastest way of determining where you might sit on a scale. And while most people do fit within certain ranges for their heights and builds, your BMI is going to be widely inaccurate if your makeup falls even a little outside of the calculated norm.

It's somewhat useful as a quantitative measure i.e. If you're a researcher asked to get results from 10 000 people in 3 days.

The best way to determine how fat/thin you are is your BF index (figure out how much fat is in your body). There are different methods, but overall, the most effective method is the objective eye; take a picture of yourself in your undies and compare that picture to a few different body fat charts (easy to find on Google). Average those out and there you go.

A dexa scan will be more accurate, but seeing the numbers go up or down over time is the real goal and who has the money to go for dexa scans every month?

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2020, 11:22:44 am »
A better way to calculate is waist measurement. Also body fat percentage check. Which is not exactly perfect, but is a good general guide. Won't be too far off.

Men and women's bodies have evolved to store fat in different places. With men, it's usually around the gut, but there are definitely exceptions in both cases. Using that method wont give the same results for different people of the same BF percentage.

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:03 am »
Morbidly obese? Maybe just obese or just overweight?

Nope, morbidly obese, lol. These are people with 1-2% body fat, but with a lot of muscle, and muscle is a lot more dense than fat, so it weighs more.

They're not actually morbidly obese, of course, but their BMIs say they are. It's just kind of an extreme example of how inaccurate BMI can be. My own BMI says that I'm overweight, but if you were to see me irl you'd probably want to feed me, lol.

This is why you can have some people who'll commit to an exercise regimen that focuses a lot on building muscle, and they'll be trimming fat and shrinking down in clothing sizes, but their weights barely change.

BMI is just a ballpark number. It can be and is helpful for giving people a good idea of where they should be at on an average scale, but that's it. If you don't fit within the average of that scale, it's not going to work for you at all.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2020, 11:40:56 am »
Nope, morbidly obese, lol. These are people with 1-2% body fat

Where did you get this information? Humans can't get down to a body fat percentage that low, even with steroids.

4-6% is the physiological limit according to some research. I guess some genetic freaks can get slightly below that, but not by much, and only for a brief amount of time.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2020, 11:47:39 am »
Where did you get this information? Humans can't get down to a body fat percentage that low, even with steroids.

4-6% is the physiological limit according to some research. I guess some genetic freaks can get slightly below that, but not by much, and only for a brief amount of time.

No, it's possible to get down to those numbers, but you have to have a very strict workout routine and lifestyle and eat crazy amounts of food in order to maintain it. This is why professional bodybuilders have "seasons" lol. They don't do it year round, it's a difficult lifestyle to maintain. They only go no-holds-barred when they're getting ready for competition, and that's when they're getting down to around 1-2% body fat.

You should watch a bodybuilding documentary. You'll be calling that entire industry insane. xD

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2020, 11:56:45 am »
No, it's possible to get down to those numbers, but you have to have a very strict workout routine and lifestyle and eat crazy amounts of food in order to maintain it. This is why professional bodybuilders have "seasons" lol. They don't do it year round, it's a difficult lifestyle to maintain. They only go no-holds-barred when they're getting ready for competition, and that's when they're getting down to around 1-2% body fat.

You should watch a bodybuilding documentary. You'll be calling that entire industry insane. xD

You can go that low, but you will die.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/legendary-bodybuilder-died-body-fat-lives/story?id=29899438

It's like saying "a person can drink two handles of vodka per day. A person can indeed to this... for maybe a week. Then they'll drop dead.
Does your wife submit to you?

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2020, 11:59:26 am »
https://legionathletics.com/how-to-calculate-body-fat/

Using calipers depends on the skill of the person using them, aside from measuring properly, you have to measure the EXACT same place as last time to get consistently accurate results over time.

As a pretty lean guy, I've learned to tell by judging the definition of my abs; if the 6-pack is clearly defined and 'pops', I'm around the 7% range. If they're clearly defined but don't 'pop' as much, I'm around the 8-10% range. If they're defined but look a bit 'soft', I'm around 12%. I stay within these ranges, so that works for me.

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2020, 12:00:03 pm »
Men and women's bodies have evolved to store fat in different places. With men, it's usually around the gut, but there are definitely exceptions in both cases. Using that method wont give the same results for different people of the same BF percentage.

This is also true, but also because "pinching" is a complicated method. You've got to have training and quite a bit of experience to do it right and to accurately calculate amount of body fat. The information is out there for people to know, but, honestly, they won't do it right.

For most people, the easiest method for accurately calculating body fat % is to find a place with either a water tank or a pressure tank. Pressure tank is the most accurate. Some university hospitals will have them, but I have no idea how much they cost here. My university back home had one, and, as long as you didn't mind having students in training operating it, it was free to use.

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2020, 12:04:19 pm »
How many "obese" or "morbidly obese", by BMI standards, bodybuilders do we have on this forum? And is anyone unaware of the limitations of BMI?
It seems like a measurement that gives most people a basic framework. Athletes/people seriously into training are obviously going to ignore/pay less attention to it because they want more precise information about their bodies.

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2020, 12:06:19 pm »

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/legendary-bodybuilder-died-body-fat-lives/story?id=29899438

It's like saying "a person can drink two handles of vodka per day. A person can indeed to this... for maybe a week. Then they'll drop dead.

Well... some guys claimed to have reached it and the pictures do indeed look like they've gone that low, see Helmut Strebl... you can find him on YT, I won't post the link as that'll put a massive picture across the thread which is kind of gross.

The thing is, even dexa scans aren't always completely accurate and his claims haven't been accepted by everyone, but judging by pictures, I think he's done it (2% lowest, I'm betting. I don't think you can get to 1%).

As said, it's definitely not healthy or sustainable for very long, but it is possible to do it and survive. 

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2020, 12:11:10 pm »

Well, bodybuilding and filling your body up with alcohol are two different things, and you're also talking about the difference between your average person and someone who has years of knowledge and training. I'm not making any of this information up, lol. This is the world of bodybuilding.

The science behind obtaining 1% body fat without killing yourself DOES exists, and it's sound, but it requires a very strict and extreme lifestyle that most people will not be able to commit to. If your average joe tries to obtain 1% body fat without knowing what he's doing and without committing to EVERYTHING that has to go into it, then yeah, he's going to end up killing himself.

That's part of what bodybuilding is -- knowing how to push your body to the extreme, and being able to flaunt the results of that effort, without killing yourself. It's an extreme form of competition, and it's not sustainable on a long-term basis. Again, this is why bodybuilders have "seasons," and you can really see the difference between their off and on seasons.

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2020, 12:11:14 pm »
Leave the Brooklyn Nets out of this
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2020, 12:50:08 pm »
Height of 6 feet, 3 and a quarter inches (1.91 m)
Weight 185 pounds (84 kg)
BMI 23
Soggy undergarments

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2020, 12:51:47 pm »
I always remember when my coteacher was talking about K-pop idols that she likes and that she loved their abs.  I thought to myself well yeah of course you can see his abs because he weighs about 9 stone haha.

The other day I saw that there's a famous Korean bodybuilder who still claims he is natural.  I wish I could remember his name.  Aristocrat, have you come across the guy?  Can't remember his name or I would post his picture. 

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2020, 01:25:16 pm »
I always remember when my coteacher was talking about K-pop idols that she likes and that she loved their abs.  I thought to myself well yeah of course you can see his abs because he weighs about 9 stone haha.

The other day I saw that there's a famous Korean bodybuilder who still claims he is natural.  I wish I could remember his name.  Aristocrat, have you come across the guy?  Can't remember his name or I would post his picture. 

Is his name Chul Soon? I'm not into bodybuilding, but I think I heard his name somewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtJxLPSJZJo

I found another video a while back, this guy talks about steroid use in Korea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMpkvB1KtU

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2020, 01:33:16 pm »
Yeah Chul Soon, that's the one!    Claims he doesn't take steroids  :laugh:

I saw that other video as well.  Scary stuff.  I do understand the appeal of steroids though.  I enjoy lifting weights but I know how agonisingly slow the process of building muscle is.  It must be very tempting to get some extra help.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:45:00 pm by alexisalex »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2020, 01:51:58 pm »
Yeah Chul Soon, that's the one!    Claims he doesn't take steroids  :laugh:

I saw that other video as well.  Scary stuff.  I do understand the appeal of steroids though.  I enjoy lifting weights but I know how agonisingly slow the process of building muscle is.  It must be very tempting to get some extra help.
just get some muscle implants. i mean, you can't even tell they aren't real

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:53:41 pm by oglop »

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2020, 02:04:02 pm »

lmao, oh man, I remember this guy. This is that Russian dude who injected himself with a bunch of petroleum jelly but claimed it was synthol. He had to have all of it plus a bunch of dead tissue removed because it was basically going to kill him if he didn't. The doctor who performed the surgery said that it was only by a set of very lucky circumstances that he even lived long enough to get the surgery.

Pretty sure this guy is or was suffering from body dysmorphia, but anyway, he almost killed himself over it.

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2020, 02:06:30 pm »

Is that this CO4 clown.
Soggy undergarments