Read 12430 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Quote: Most Nets are overweight (LI)
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2020, 03:09:04 pm »
Why did you link me to the ranting thread? O.o

Because I agree that it's annoying.

EDIT: Haha, I'm not trying to redirect your post, just saying how I feel.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2020, 03:10:39 pm »
Do you get 2 for that price, or just 1? Gmarket uses a lot of pictures so it's a pain to try translate it haha.

That's actually not too bad.  Extra shipping cost though?  Might save time at the gym especially when dolts hog one weight forever and do every single exercise with that one weight plus sitting on the bench playing on their phone resting and holding up others rep set increase work outs.  Just do at home. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2020, 03:14:17 pm »
Because I agree that it's annoying.

EDIT: Haha, I'm not trying to redirect your post, just saying how I feel.

Ahh, all good. Yeah, I find it highly annoying as well. Especially when they say the product info is in English and you get the product info in both Korean and the pictures haha.

I've been interested in purchasing these dumbells though, but not sure if you only get 1 or 2, cause a lot of the pictures show 2.
However, I see a x1, so I'm a little confused. haha

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #243 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:28 am »
I'm not making any of this information up, lol. This is the world of bodybuilding.

The science behind obtaining 1% body fat without killing yourself DOES exists, and it's sound, but it requires a very strict and extreme lifestyle that most people will not be able to commit to.

Low body fat elite level athletes are 6-13%.

10% looks damn good. (So does 13%.)

There is fat around organs protecting against the impact of sudden jarring movements. Humans need a bit of body fat to survive. For example, the brain is made of fat.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2020, 05:32:56 am »
No, it's possible to get down to those numbers, but you have to have a very strict workout routine and lifestyle and eat crazy amounts of food in order to maintain it. This is why professional bodybuilders have "seasons" lol. They don't do it year round, it's a difficult lifestyle to maintain. They only go no-holds-barred when they're getting ready for competition, and that's when they're getting down to around 1-2% body fat.

Here's a professional bodybuilder case study:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7eb2/f2177a56705379065088b3480ce75329fd8e.pdf

He was 14.8% and 14.6% body fat on the off season and got down to a low of 4.5% for the contest.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2020, 05:33:48 am »
It's basically the most inaccurate way of checking because it's based on comparing you to an average, and that average isn't formulated to accommodate anything that could affect those numbers.

For people who don't understand why this matters, bodybuilders are considered morbidly obese according to their BMIs.

It's just the fastest way of determining where you might sit on a scale. And while most people do fit within certain ranges for their heights and builds, your BMI is going to be widely inaccurate if your makeup falls even a little outside of the calculated norm.

Nope, morbidly obese, lol. These are people with 1-2% body fat, but with a lot of muscle, and muscle is a lot more dense than fat, so it weighs more.

They're not actually morbidly obese, of course, but their BMIs say they are.

Here are the most highly awarded bodybuilders and their BMIs. 30 is the border between overweight and obese; 40 is the threshold for morbidly obese.

Won Mr. Olympia Seven Times:
Arnold Schwarzenegger: 30; Phil Heath: 35.4
Won Mr. Olympia Eight Times:
Lee Haney: 35.5; Ronnie Coleman: 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1sTG7Pg8IQ

To say bodybuilders are morbidly obese is inaccurate. To say Ronnie Coleman - the greatest of all time - got into the lower end of the range is true.

It's way easier to gain fat than gain muscle. To become Mr. Olympia requires exceptional genetic potential, thousands of dollars a month spent on steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, and a lot of hard work. How many English teachers in Korea will ever get their bodybuilding pro card?

« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2020, 09:42:07 am »
30 is not overweight, it's obese, according to BMI.

But, you're right, 40+ is considered morbidly obese.

And I'm telling you there are many people in the bodybuilding industry who weigh in at 40+ BMI. You're not going to find a standard by cherry-picking at a few well known ones, especially when they're going lean. Their BMIs fluctuate up and down depending on what they're trying to do. But okay, if you want to die on that hill, feel free. It doesn't change my point at all.

As for fat %, I'll let you think what you want, but the industry is what it is, and, regardless of what you think they're actually able to attain (despite the numerous cases of bodybuilders with fat %s that could not even be registered at all because they were just too low, and the numbers of those who did die as a result), there's no denying that even 3-5% body fat is fairly non-existent. And yet, people like this still clock in at obese to morbidly obese, according to their BMIs.

To say bodybuilders are morbidly obese is inaccurate.

Yes, it is absolutely inaccurate. That was my whole statement about BMI -- that it's incredibly inaccurate and cannot be relied upon as the only source of measuring one's health or fitness level. It doesn't actually measure fat %. It gives you an estimation based on an assumption being made between body weight, height, and age ratios, and it absolutely cannot adjust for anything that sits outside of that scope. Even the U.S. military understands this very simple concept. That's why they will not rule out anyone who tries to enlist based on their BMIs alone. They have to give you a visual look-see first, to make sure you're not just someone who's got a large build, a lot of muscle, and/or dense bones.

Sorry if that escaped your analysis.

I'm not at all here to argue whether most NETs are overweight (although I don't in fact agree with that, but that's beside my point). I was only making a statement that you can't really get accurate measurements using BMI.  :azn:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:40:13 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2020, 10:34:46 am »
Here are the most highly awarded bodybuilders and their BMIs. 30 is the border between overweight and obese; 40 is the threshold for morbidly obese.

Won Mr. Olympia Seven Times:
Arnold Schwarzenegger: 30; Phil Heath: 35.4
Won Mr. Olympia Eight Times:
Lee Haney: 35.5; Ronnie Coleman: 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1sTG7Pg8IQ

To say bodybuilders are morbidly obese is inaccurate. To say Ronnie Coleman - the greatest of all time - got into the lower end of the range is true.

It's way easier to gain fat than gain muscle. To become Mr. Olympia requires exceptional genetic potential, thousands of dollars a month spent on steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, and a lot of hard work. How many English teachers in Korea will ever get their bodybuilding pro card?

Anyone who thinks looking like that juice - monkey freak is something to aspire to needs their head read...!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2020, 11:16:47 am »
Even the U.S. military understands this very simple concept.

Is that true?

A google search showed the Army, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard use BMI, while the Navy sets a maximum body fat percentage, which is determined by BMI + neck, hip, waist measurements.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

https://www.livestrong.com/article/359551-military-bmi-requirements/

« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2020, 11:48:26 am »
Is that true?

A google search showed the Army, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard use BMI, while the Navy sets a maximum body fat percentage, which is determined by BMI + neck, hip, waist measurements.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

https://www.livestrong.com/article/359551-military-bmi-requirements/

Absolutely true. I'm an army brat, spent half of my life living in or around military bases, and I grew up knowing recruiters.

The military does have BMI requirements, but, while the process is not automatic, they will overrule the BMI requirements upon physical inspection (those measurements you're talking about) because they know very well how misleading BMI can be. No recruiter is going to turn away an incredibly fit and muscular candidate just because his BMI says he's ineligible. It's a ballpark number to help weed through large groups, it's not the end-all-be-all. If your BMI says you're obese and you look the part, you're out. But if your BMI says you're obese and you walk in looking like Dwayne Johnson, they're going to send you to an expert or a hospital for a more accurate fat% reading to put down on your paperwork before they send you off to boot camp.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:27:33 am by Chinguetti »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2020, 03:22:02 am »
Absolutely true. I'm an army brat, spent half of my life living in or around military bases, and I grew up knowing recruiters.

The military does have BMI requirements, but, while the process is not automatic, they will overrule the BMI requirements upon physical inspection (those measurements you're talking about) because they know very well how misleading BMI can be. No recruiter is going to turn away an incredibly fit and muscular candidate just because his BMI says he's ineligible. It's a ballpark number to help weed through large groups, it's not the end-all-be-all. If your BMI says you're obese and you look the part, you're out. But if your BMI says you're obese and you walk in looking like Dwayne Johnson, they're going to send you to an expert or a hospital for a more accurate fat% reading to put down on your paperwork before they send you off to boot camp.

I knew a scrawny  USAF airman who was kicked out on a medical because his neck was too big. He was a tooth-pick otherwise, but I guess the airforce doesn't make 18 1/2 inch uniform shirts or something.

« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2020, 08:39:23 am »
I knew a scrawny  USAF airman who was kicked out on a medical because his neck was too big. He was a tooth-pick otherwise, but I guess the airforce doesn't make 18 1/2 inch uniform shirts or something.

That sucks for him.

They probably decided he was too much of a health risk. With or without obesity, having an unusually large neck, especially when it's not in proportion to the rest of your body, is linked to all types of health issues and is often a sign of something wrong in the body (I'd say this is especially so with someone who is skinny everywhere else). Even if he wasn't currently suffering from any of these issues, the air force probably decided he wasn't worth the risk. That, or someone wanted him gone and used that as an excuse to get rid of him. It is the air force, after all.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2020, 04:41:20 am »
I caught a glace at myself in the mirror today... am I looking pretty good for an obese BMI 34 guy, or what?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2020, 08:20:02 am »
You probably should take off your shoes before weighing yourself for your BMI info: they look like they're made of solid cast iron!

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2020, 08:29:41 am »
You probably should take off your shoes before weighing yourself for your BMI info: they look like they're made of solid cast iron!

KimDuHan is filling a police report right now for 'foreigner wearing cast iron shoes inside building'. 
Soggy undergarments

« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2020, 11:48:10 am »
The photo makes me think you're either 4'11" or 5'7" or 6'3" and only one of those three options, nothing in-between.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2020, 12:24:34 pm »

I've been giggling at this randomly all morning!  Thanks kyndo!  (btw they totally look like solid cast iron clogs)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2020, 12:35:27 pm »

LoL

Those are my indoor shoes - Finn Comfort clogs. They donít weigh as much as they look.

« Reply #258 on: June 15, 2020, 12:39:11 pm »
Most NETs don't think their shoes weigh very much, but they're actually quite heavy.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #259 on: June 15, 2020, 12:41:09 pm »
If most of us are fat and/or unattractive, does that mean NET weight is gross weight?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?