Read 13509 times

• CallinIn
  • Adventurer

• January 30, 2018, 01:57:54 am
    • USA
Re: Quote: Most Nets are overweight (LI)
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2020, 08:10:33 am »
but I have been told by people who lost more weight than my entire weight that fat shaming was pivotal in their weight loss experience.

But they would likely be the exception and not the rule. There are many articles and papers written about how fat shaming and fat stigma causes overweight people to end up getting worse and more out of control. If you want to read some I can link them or send them to you.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2020, 08:12:53 am »
But they would likely be the exception and not the rule. There are many articles and papers written about how fat shaming and fat stigma causes overweight people to end up getting worse and more out of control. If you want to read some I can link them or send them to you.

Does 'Body positivity' cause people to lose weight?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• CallinIn
  • Adventurer

• January 30, 2018, 01:57:54 am
    • USA
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2020, 08:21:52 am »
The person doing drugs is the dick, though, mate. Calling him/her/xir/xer out on it is not.

I don't know if you are trolling or what, but you really aren't worth arguing with. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point. I don't know if someone wronged you in the past or you are just willfully like this, but your outlook is really miserable, and I hope it changes with time.

No idea. I've got no research on it, so can't answer you there. But if it doesn't, that means both of them are ineffective and not going to work. BUT, one makes people hate themselves and the other makes them feel good about themselves. Whatever side you prefer is a personal choice, but it does say something about your character.

Again, this shouldn't be an argument, but you want it to be. Agree to disagree I guess.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2020, 08:32:55 am »
I don't know if you are trolling or what, but you really aren't worth arguing with. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point. I don't know if someone wronged you in the past or you are just willfully like this, but your outlook is really miserable, and I hope it changes with time.

No, I'm not, but I'm beginning to think you are. Calling someone who thinks drug takers are dicks, alcoholics are dicks, obese people are dicks, and MY outlook is miserable. I mean yeah, no point continuing with this as you are clearly not interested in helping them face up to reality. Just let them continue AND make them feel good about it. Indeed, I hope your outlook changes with time. :rolleyes:

No idea. I've got no research on it, so can't answer you there. But if it doesn't, that means both of them are ineffective and not going to work. BUT, one makes people hate themselves and the other makes them feel good about themselves. Whatever side you prefer is a personal choice, but it does say something about your character.

It doesn't. People need a REASON to change these behaviours or addictions. Otherwise they won't. The reason could be financial, (Can't afford the habit) family (Mate became healthy for his daughter) health related. (Best friend had lung failure from smoking - After he came out of hospital never smoked again) Etc etc... A REASON to stop it. Telling people they are 'healthy and attractive at any size' is the opposite of helpful. It's disgusting. And yes, I agree. It says A LOT about your character.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:40:16 am by Colburnnn »

« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2020, 09:15:35 am »

Sure, I'm just giving my anecdotal experience. Very likely there's a selection bias going on.
Does your wife submit to you?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2020, 09:24:06 am »
"Nononono, I'm calling you a stupid, worthless loser because it's true and I love you and want you to change!"  :rolleyes: Good grief.

Criticism needs to be constructive, else it's just ad hominen. People are often very aware of their own flaws, and drawing attention to them in an unkind manner is going to elicit negative reactions.  For example, many people who are overweight eat as a (unhealthy) coping mechanism. If they feel frustrated, anxious etc, that behaviour is only going to be exacerbated.
   Excessive body-positivity isn't a good thing, I agree, but the converse isn't a good thing either.

Calling a spade a spade is perfectly fine if doing so has net benefits. Name calling very rarely does.

« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2020, 09:28:11 am »
The first issue is that there's no clear definition of 'Fat Shamming'.

One person will describe it as getting viciously mocked by a stranger for their weight.
Another will describe it as not being given a free business class upgrade because they can't fit in the economy seats.

If we take into account the former, no, 'Fat Shamming' does not usually work.

Obesity is usually just a symptom of mental issues such as depression, anxiety and typically a very low self-esteem, particularly if they've been that way for a while. Calling an obese or overweight person a fat sh*t and telling them to get off their lazy ass isn't going to work on someone with already low self-esteem. It might seem counterintuitive, but if the issue is a low self-esteem, motivation and encouragement is what wins the day. Once the confidence builds, so does the effort and motivation.

In the case of an overweight person without low self-esteem, I'd guess a harder approach might work just fine.

Either way, disability, welfare and benefits for obesity needs to stop.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2020, 09:31:46 am »
^ +1

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2020, 09:39:23 am »
"Nononono, I'm calling you a stupid, worthless loser because it's true and I love you and want you to change!"

That ain't it chief. That's not even close to what I said. Worthless loser? Huh? Are you projecting? Being fat doesn't make you a loser. It makes you fat. Being fat is unhealthy, just like smoking, drinking and taking drugs. I said calling fat people fat doesn't make you a dick. Excusing fatness under the guise of 'body positivity' makes you a dick. It's harmful to the person.

Calling a spade a spade is perfectly fine if doing so has net benefits.

Why do things have to have a net benefit to be perfectly fine. And how is that measured? Calling a spade a spade is just that. It has no prerequisite. A spade IS a spade. End of. Could get into the whole trans thing but I won't, but the argument is similar there. In this case I guess the BMI indicates if the spade IS a spade. Maybe you don't like the word 'fat' which, is your call. Other people see no problem with it's use. I don't like 'Body positivity' or 'CIS' but people still use them with no regard for me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:42:21 am by Colburnnn »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2020, 09:51:13 am »
"Nononono, I'm calling you a stupid, worthless loser because it's true and I love you and want you to change!"

That ain't it chief. That's not even close to what I said. Worthless loser? Huh? Are you projecting? Being fat doesn't make you a loser. It makes you fat. Being fat is unhealthy, just like smoking, drinking and taking drugs. I said calling fat people fat doesn't make you a dick. Excusing fatness under the guise of 'body positivity' makes you a dick. It's harmful to the person.

You may find the following helpful:

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜːrbəli/; Ancient Greek: ὑπερβολή, huperbolḗ, from ὑπέρ (hupér, 'above') and βάλλω (bállō, 'I throw')) is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis (literally 'growth'). As a figure of speech, it is usually not meant to be taken literally.

Hyperbole may also be used for instances such as, exaggerations for emphasis or effect. The rhetorical device makes a point that could not be conveyed with standard or literal language, or, at least, not stated as effectively. For example, “If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away” (Matthew 5:29). Some may take this literally, but most would understand Jesus’ saying as a bold overstatement to make a point. Understanding hyperboles and their use in context can further one's ability to understand the messages being sent from the speaker.  Hyperbole can be used in a form of humor, excitement, distress, and many other emotions, all depending on the context in which the speaker uses it.

Calling a spade a spade is perfectly fine if doing so has net benefits.

Why do things have to have a net benefit to be perfectly fine?
Why settle for less? Life doesn't have to be a zero-sum game, Colburnnn. I would've assumed that you, as a teacher, would share the sentiment.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2020, 09:59:25 am »
I'm signing off on this one as it's going nowhere.

I believe in tough love and reality. It seems many of you believe in coddling and bubbles.

It's been real. See you on another topic. And remember, if you don't like being called fat... Don't be fat. You'll never hear it again.

Happy Ramadan!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2020, 10:12:51 am »

I asked this, and about body shaming, to a friend of mine who works as a PT in a gym, with a master's degree in strength and conditioning.
He said: Typically, people who get body shamed are more likely to regress with any efforts to lose weight or get healthy and stuff. They know they are overweight and all that, and shaming them will just make them feel bad, possibly resorting to comfort food, which is generally unhealthy, and demotivate them.
The best thing is for them to want to lose weight and eat healthier, and then give them encouragement and help to meet their goals.

So, if you want people to lose weight, you need to rethink your approach to overweight people.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2020, 10:32:46 am »
They know they are overweight and all that

Do they? Studies show most overweight people believe themselves to be healthy and a normal weight. But you mean the subset of overweight people who go to a PT in a gym? Well yeah, they are working to improve themselves, which is a good thing. Folks would applaud that (except for a few crabs in the bucket I guess).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2020, 02:14:36 pm »
Do they? Studies show most overweight people believe themselves to be healthy and a normal weight. But you mean the subset of overweight people who go to a PT in a gym? Well yeah, they are working to improve themselves, which is a good thing. Folks would applaud that (except for a few crabs in the bucket I guess).

In these studies, how many were educated vs not? How many people had parents who enabled or encouraged them to be big from a young age to make them feel better?
There are probably even more things I can't think of that might hinder their rational thinking.
But the average overweight Joe, or Jane, I'd assume knows it.
However, making people feel bad about it, is still not the way to go.

« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2020, 05:05:08 pm »
gogators and DeMart have had some horrific and comically bad takes, but this is probably the worst.

Which do you prefer?

Korean girls in the West:

Korean girls in Korea:

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2020, 09:38:46 pm »
Korea and it’s not even close.

Do you wear glasses?

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2020, 07:32:42 am »
You've claimed to not drink in one thread, while claiming to love alcohol in the other.
You claim you skied in the alps before most of us were born while claiming to be 30yrs old in another thread.

While we might not know your BMI, everyone here knows your BSI is completely off the charts.
Go away, nobody takes you or your trolling seriously anymore.

I forget what I write because....well, it's simply not important. No one would believe the truth anyway and I'm not worried what anyone thinks in the first place. I'm not trolling. That's such a cop-out word for young children who can't engage.

It's not my tempo, man.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2020, 07:36:50 am »
I see the overweight and obese categories have been creeping up slowly over the last few days. Maybe they took longer to get round to voting  :smiley:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2020, 07:38:44 am »
Mr. Mayor, you picked a shitty pic of Grace Park.

Everyone else; google Grace Park hot. That's the good shit.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2020, 07:43:56 am »
Tanned and athletic Asian women are a great combination, cute and sexy. The super skinny and anemic look doesn't do much for me.