Read 13513 times

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Quote: Most Nets are overweight (LI)
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2020, 01:05:44 pm »
if floyd mayweather punched wladimir klitschko in the face, klitschko would be OK. if floyd mayweather punched me in the face, i'd be very not okay. that's not really my fault, and doesn't really say anything about me. i hope you can understand how this relates to the conversation.

Go to the gym, work out and punch him back. You'll probs get smacked back down to earth but he'd respect you for it.

Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2020, 01:08:10 pm »
Being offended isn't good enough and it doesn't mean anything. It has no weight. (unlike the fatties) I'm sorry, but it is just worthless. Sorry to call you out on it.

Go to the gym. Nothing 'positive' about being a human planet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:10:35 pm by Colburnnn »

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2020, 01:09:00 pm »
Anonymous users discussing their preference in body types seems a strange/arbitrary place to draw that line

Some topics are hot topics for a reason. Some are open for discussion. Others, not so much. Some, it just depends on how you approach them for debate. Totally depends on the nature behind them.

For now, anything that can be construed as objectifying and dehumanizing are generally policed in forums like this one because they can and have gotten really ugly very quickly.

It's happened on this site plenty of times before, so it's not like the mods (or whoever locked that thread) didn't have any history to base it on, lol.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2020, 01:15:36 pm »
Calling someone a beached whale. Because that's an insult on someone's looks while the other is an insult on a person's personal behavior and conduct.

One is never called for while the other COULD be called for.

The question was about calling a celebrity a beached whale.

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2020, 01:16:16 pm »
The question was about calling a celebrity a beached whale.

Yes, and I thought I answered that question. I consider celebrities people, lol.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2020, 01:23:33 pm »
So what's more offensive, calling a celebrity a beached whale, or personally implying someone's an asshole?
And what if both of those people were stuck on parallel trolley tracks?
And what if you were hurtling down the tracks straight towards them while calling them those horrible names?
What if there was a switch, and by choosing to flip it, you could decide which set of tracks your trolley would go while you shouted your insults?
Which set of tracks would you choose? Which person would you choose to hurt physically even as you abused them emotionally?

Such questions keep me up nights.  :sad:

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:12 pm »
Yes, and I thought I answered that question. I consider celebrities people, lol.

I meant saying a celebrity was a beached whale to someone else, not to the celebrity themselves v personally implying someone was an asshole directly.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2020, 01:30:14 pm »
And what if both of those people were stuck on parallel trolley tracks?
And what if you were hurtling down the tracks straight towards them while calling them those horrible names?
What if there was a switch, and by choosing to flip it, you could decide which set of tracks your trolley would go while you shouted your insults?
Which set of tracks would you choose? Which person would you choose to hurt physically even as you abused them emotionally?

Such questions keep me up nights.  :sad:

It's quite a simple question and the answer is obvious.  It's much more offensive to personally attack someone directly than make rude comments about a celebrity who isn't there.

« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2020, 01:41:17 pm »
I meant saying a celebrity was a beached whale to someone else, not to the celebrity themselves v personally implying someone was an asshole directly.

Yeah, I got that. I'm still saying that it's worse to call someone a beached whale, even if it's not directly to them or at someone placed in a world so far apart from your own that you'll probably never meet them, because it's still an insult over their looks that also works to dehumanize them and anyone else who also shares that characteristic. Makes them less just for being. Doing it behind their backs vs to their faces still has the same motivation behind it, although saying it to their faces definitely has a heightened level of cruelty and malice in it.

While being directly called an asshole is a criticism of your own behavior which could be well-deserved. Just because it's a direct confrontation doesn't make it worse. If it's not deserved, it could just be due to a misunderstanding or a misinterpretation of events, which is never the case when someone is being called a whale.

« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2020, 01:47:37 pm »
Putting it in a different light.

Which is worse to call someone behind their back: A beached whale, or an asshole?

Which is worse to call someone to their face: A beached whale, or an asshole?

If you were going to call your own mother one of those two things, which one do you think would hurt her more?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2020, 02:01:13 pm »
Beached whale, asshole............ .............. really?

Can we just agree on a middle ground and call people............. ................

bleached assholes
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2020, 02:02:57 pm »
But then people would turn it into race bait. xD

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:49 pm »
Which is worse to call someone behind their back: A beached whale, or an asshole? beached whale

Which is worse to call someone to their face: A beached whale, or an asshole? beached whale.

Which is worse, to call a celebrity a beached whale or call someone you know an asshole - asshole.

If you were going to call your own mother one of those two things, which one do you think would hurt her more?
no need to bring anyone's mother into this.

Here's another question,. If one of your students said Benedict Cumberbatch looked like a rat, you'd think that was worse than calling one of their classmates an asshole?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2020, 02:34:45 pm »
Sometimes students have said I have a big nose. I didn't get offended. Do you know why? Because I am an adult

If someone calls a celebrity beached whale on an Internet message board, I also don't get offended, because I am not a big baby

Same goes when an anonymous user says something about their preference in body types

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2020, 02:39:11 pm »
It's quite a simple question and the answer is obvious.  It's much more offensive to personally attack someone directly than make rude comments about a celebrity who isn't there.
But what about the trolley?

Anyway, whether it's more hurtful to be be called a cephalopod or a sphincter is kinda beside the point as they're both unkind. Why can't we all, you know, just get along?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2020, 02:42:10 pm »
bleached assholes

and I get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole.

anyway, i guess i wasn't direct enough earlier. why do some of you think you can tell another person when they're allowed to be hurt by something? just because something doesn't hurt YOU (congratulations), doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt someone else. and that's okay, we all have different tolerances (back to boxing: some of us would die from getting hit by mike tyson and others would only be severely concussed).

« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2020, 02:47:23 pm »
Sometimes students have said I have a big nose. I didn't get offended. Do you know why? Because I am an adult

If someone calls a celebrity beached whale on an Internet message board, I also don't get offended, because I am not a big baby

Same goes when an anonymous user says something about their preference in body types

There's a difference between being offended by something and calling someone an asshole for saying something.

« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52:56 pm »
I literally can't understand how some people are so sensitive.

Someone on a message board says, "Maybe don't be a dick to people?" and they get all offended and say, "Bawwwwwww don't tell me what to do bawwww I can say whatever I want too you're not the boss of me bawwwwwww I'm not sensitive, YOU'RE sensitive" and then won't stop going on about it.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2020, 02:56:19 pm »

Someone on a message board says, "Maybe don't be a dick to people?" and they get all offended and say, "Bawwwwwww don't tell me what to do bawwww I can say whatever I want too you're not the boss of me bawwwwwww I'm not sensitive, YOU'RE sensitive" and then won't stop going on about it.

Calling fat people fat is not being a dick, though.

Restricting other people from saying something, by claiming to be a victim, because you can't stop eating doughnuts, is.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2020, 03:02:25 pm »

The discussion started because someone locked the thread, that's what I personally was pissed off about, The people  going around telling people not to be (in their minds) dicks are the ones locking the threads. In wider society as well.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:05:43 pm by stoat »