Read 13514 times

Re: Quote: Most Nets are overweight (LI)
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2020, 11:04:40 am »
Are you serious? It's the kind of question you see debated in magazines/newspapers/online all the time. The language used wasn't disrespectful either.

Yeah, but stuff like this tend to be objectifying and exploitative in nature because that's just the road other people will take it down, even when the originator(s) never intended for that to happen.

It's inevitable that you'll start getting disrespectful comments from people, and this will lead to fights that I'm pretty sure most mods would rather avoid, lol.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2020, 11:06:18 am »
TIL waygook.org mods are pre-cogs

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2020, 11:16:30 am »
Yeah, I mean what topic on here couldn't conceivably start a flame war?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2020, 11:16:36 am »
Yeah, but stuff like this tend to be objectifying and exploitative in nature because that's just the road other people will take it down, even when the originator(s) never intended for that to happen.

It's inevitable that you'll start getting disrespectful comments from people, and this will lead to fights that I'm pretty sure most mods would rather avoid, lol.

Man, I think it's time the Trump will win 2020 thread was locked then. You know, to avoid fights.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:20:19 am by Colburnnn »
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2020, 11:16:47 am »
Probably because it was a little too demeaning in the sense that women were being rated on how physically attractive men found their body types.

It's perfect fodder for a flame war.

The only criticism I'd level at it is that it's too narrow and simplistic. The fact that tall, athletic and tomboyish women are my type doesn't mean I won't be attracted to the skinny K-pop type or the curvier Salma Hayek type.

Even if a guy was exclusively attracted to a woman of a particular type/types (doubtful), that's completely different from how they'd treat those who fall outside his realm of attraction as a person. I might not find a certain woman attractive, but that's absolutely no reason for me to be rude to her.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:13 am »
The only criticism I'd level at it is that it's too narrow and simplistic

And what poll isn't? Except one that no one would be bothered to read through.

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2020, 11:29:07 am »
Yeah, I mean what topic on here couldn't conceivably start a flame war?

You're right, I've said it before that someone could say that they hate unicorns and people will fight over that.

The difference between this or that, though, is that one usually gets more and more degrading, hateful, and misogynistic the longer it plays out, which inevitably invites misandry as a response, and it very quickly turns into a shitstorm of people bashing each other just for being born a certain gender. And then that very often invites other forms of bigotry against other types of people and groups.

It's never easy to deal with, and it's simply a mess that's not worth letting people play out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:41:25 am by Chinguetti »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:54 am »
TIL waygook.org mods are pre-cogs
I knew you'd say that!

You only have to worry about things if you will eventually one day have something to hide.

Anyway, it sure is nice to have such a perfect system keeping an eye out on things!

« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2020, 11:33:57 am »
I might not find a certain woman attractive, but that's absolutely no reason for me to be rude to her.

Not everyone feels the same way, unfortunately. In a perfect world...

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2020, 11:37:15 am »
Not everyone feels the same way, unfortunately. In a perfect world...

We have a different definition of rude.

In a perfect world people wouldn't be so offended.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2020, 11:42:45 am »
We have a different definition of rude.

In a perfect world people wouldn't be so offended.

Or, people can stop going out of their way to be unnecessarily hurtful.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2020, 12:09:43 pm »
Or, people can stop going out of their way to be unnecessarily hurtful.

If anyone was going to be rude in that thread it would have been about a celebrity (fair game I'd have thought) or a body type. Since no one knows what anyone on here looks like (with one or two exceptions) there was very little possibility of it getting personal. 

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2020, 12:18:57 pm »
If anyone was going to be rude in that thread it would have been about a celebrity (fair game I'd have thought) or a body type. Since no one knows what anyone on here looks like (with one or two exceptions) there was very little possibility of it getting personal. 

The fun thing about people is that they're incredibly empathetic. Even if a barb wasn't aimed at them personally, they can still take offense to it if it happens to hit up on something that they're personally struggling with, be it with themselves, or in knowing someone that they care about who has had many, many negative experiences as a result of it.

This is all it takes, really.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2020, 12:35:27 pm »
The fun thing about people is that they're incredibly empathetic. Even if a barb wasn't aimed at them personally, they can still take offense to it if it happens to hit up on something that they're personally struggling with, be it with themselves, or in knowing someone that they care about who has had many, many negative experiences as a result of it.

This is all it takes, really.
may as well shut down the internet then, if people are going to be as thin-skinned as that. welcome to 2020, where everyone takes offense to everything.

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2020, 12:41:58 pm »
I don't think it's hurtful, at all.

It's a counter to people encouraging obesity. 'Body positivity' needs shaming. People shame smokers, drug users, alcoholics, why not lazy people stuffing their faces with sh*t food and excusing it under the guise of 'positivity'.

Body positivity isn't about embracing obesity, it's about being able to love and accept yourself despite whatever perceived physical flaw that you might have (not just limited to the obese --  the obese just kind of became the face of that movement because they're the most visible). It's about not placing your sense of self-worth in the way that you look (such as breast shape and size, or having a trapezoid upper body rather than a triangle). It's about being seen and respected as a human being, regardless of physical characteristics, and to pursue body modifications and weight-loss on your own terms, not on others'.

And body positivity became such a big thing in the first place specifically because of toxic people abusing others who didn't fit certain molds, the very same people who often encourage destructive and unhealthy ways of weight management because it's not about concern for other people's health but about incredibly shallow points of self-interest. If obesity was something that was suddenly eradicated from the world, these very same people would find some other physical flaw to criticize and dehumanize people over. Korea and it's plastic surgery obsession is a very prime example of that fact.

I've also often found that people who tend to negatively shame and insult others over shallow or materialistic reasons can't really take what they dish out. They hold themselves in higher regard and feel they're exceptions to the rule. Not saying that you're one of those people, Colburnnn, but it's something I feel is worth pointing out because the same kind of people who tend to say the same things you are in the same manner and with the same attitude just tend to be that way. It illustrates the point that I'm making that it's not out of concern for others that they make these kind of comments. They're just being assholes.

may as well shut down the internet then, if people are going to be as thin-skinned as that. welcome to 2020, where everyone takes offense to everything.

I think it's more about drawing lines somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:14:31 pm by Chinguetti »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2020, 12:45:40 pm »
if floyd mayweather punched wladimir klitschko in the face, klitschko would be OK. if floyd mayweather punched me in the face, i'd be very not okay. that's not really my fault, and doesn't really say anything about me. i hope you can understand how this relates to the conversation.

« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2020, 12:46:49 pm »
Edit: Won't post again as I feel like we could go round in circles on this. I will use any language I want to, and deal with the consequences of it. You are welcome to ignore my future posts if they are too triggering for you.

Nope, I'll happily keep calling you out, but you can choose to ignore mine if they're that triggering for *you*.  :wink:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2020, 01:01:39 pm »

I think it's more about drawing lines somewhere.
Anonymous users discussing their preference in body types seems a strange/arbitrary place to draw that line

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2020, 01:01:49 pm »
So what's more offensive, calling a celebrity a beached whale, or personally implying someone's an asshole?

« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »
So what's more offensive, calling a celebrity a beached whale, or personally implying someone's an asshole?

Calling someone a beached whale. Because that's an insult on someone's looks while the other is an insult on a person's personal behavior and conduct.

One is never called for while the other COULD be called for.