« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 12:11:24 pm »
It should be entered as 기타, 기타,  then the name of the day in Korean 긴로자의 날

Great, thanks!

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: May 1st National Holiday for contract workers
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 12:17:35 pm »
Interestingly I've never had to enter it into NEIS. However, often it's a day off for the school. Also, for a few years one my principals was one of those ultra-liberal proletariat type of guy.

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 12:19:16 pm »
Great, thanks!

Sorry I wrote the name of the day wrong, its 근로자의 날

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 12:20:45 pm »
Interestingly I've never had to enter it into NEIS. However, often it's a day off for the school. Also, for a few years one my principals was one of those ultra-liberal proletariat type of guy.

It's supposed to go into NEIS but many schools don't want to put it in there for some reason, the POE wants it though. It's a day off for contract workers, so technically if we work they owe us 1.5x pay. It would be best if it is recorded for that reason.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 12:53:18 pm »
I, also, was given a good deal by my school and was given two weeks of stay at home time without using vacation days or having to fill out work at home logs.  So, I would've let this slide but was just approached about this and asked what needs to be entered on NEIS.  In my fifth year at this school and each year the co-teacher responsible for these details is changed.  Anyone know how May 1st is entered into NEIS so I can let her know? 

I think I sign out for that day on the attendance sheet.   Some approved leave, but I can't remember what exactly. 

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2020, 10:40:18 am »
If you work May 1st, you can get upto 2x your hourly wage as overtime.
May 1 is the only National Holiday which is statutory, so when you work on the statutory holiday you must be paid 1.5 your hourly contract rate (not the 'overtime rate" that is in many contracts) and then if the time you work is above your weekly hourly contract hours then there is another 1/2 added to the overtime rate to make it 2x hourly contract rate.

There is a post on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean_Law/comments/fl5mi2/korean_law_korean_labor_law_guidelines_for/ that goes over it.