Read 4793 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Is it a bad sign when most of the NETs are new?
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2020, 09:46:16 am »
It's generally pointless teaching English if students aren't divided by level. Having kids that don't know their ABCs and fluent kids in the same class? Pointless

Western style political correctness and "feeling" have been creeping into Korea for quite some time.  No one should feel "left out" or "left behind".  Teach to the middle and throw in a few things for some advanced kids and a couple of things for low level and carry on. 

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 09:18:08 am »
[A lot of teachers cycle in and out after a year or two.  Don't worry about it. /quote]
Well, yes. Of course that happens. But it is also true that there are a good few people who leave after  6 months.  But I was shocked :shocked: to read about a certain person who had come all the way here to teach in a public school, and wanted to quit after just a couple of months! EPIK's application process has gotten trickier and more expensive over the years. One assumes that this was done to weed out the flakier people.
   Yet it still happens that people leave EPIK after a few months or do midnight runs. How come? It takes a lot more effort to get hear than it used to. So you would think you'd get committed, mature people. Nope. It's inexperienced newbies. Of course new teachers may have problems that aren't their fault.
   Back in the day, when EPIK was less popular, I remember meeting guys in their 30s and 40s who were with EPIK. They had been accountants and journalists back home, and they approached EPIK professionally. Surprisingly, the program was attracting serious teachers. Of course, there's also a minor point that seems to have escaped all Korean bosses. It's that the starting salary of 2.1 million won was worth a lot more back then.

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 09:19:54 am »
To the OP: yes, it is a bad sign if most people are leaving after 1 year or less. It is a bad sign if you are hoping to be kept on next year, because you just might not be.

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2020, 11:22:51 am »
To the OP: yes, it is a bad sign if most people are leaving after 1 year or less. It is a bad sign if you are hoping to be kept on next year, because you just might not be.

I have no idea how long these people have actually been there. I just got the job a couple months ago. I just noticed from the first time I checked their website, 5 of 8 of the NET's were brand new teachers. I don't know anyone from the school yet. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of all of the above. And if it sucks ass, I'm not a hostage so... Meh.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2020, 11:46:25 am »
[A lot of teachers cycle in and out after a year or two.  Don't worry about it. /quote]
Well, yes. Of course that happens. But it is also true that there are a good few people who leave after  6 months.  But I was shocked :shocked: to read about a certain person who had come all the way here to teach in a public school, and wanted to quit after just a couple of months! EPIK's application process has gotten trickier and more expensive over the years. One assumes that this was done to weed out the flakier people.
   Yet it still happens that people leave EPIK after a few months or do midnight runs. How come? It takes a lot more effort to get hear than it used to. So you would think you'd get committed, mature people. Nope. It's inexperienced newbies. Of course new teachers may have problems that aren't their fault.
   Back in the day, when EPIK was less popular, I remember meeting guys in their 30s and 40s who were with EPIK. They had been accountants and journalists back home, and they approached EPIK professionally. Surprisingly, the program was attracting serious teachers. Of course, there's also a minor point that seems to have escaped all Korean bosses. It's that the starting salary of 2.1 million won was worth a lot more back then.

..or, perhaps their dreams of living in a k-poop video were shattered and they leaned what teaching in Korea is all about...and, the fact these folks left does not necessarily reflect on being their fault. 

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 12:32:30 pm »
EPIK I hear can have strange hiring criteria including rejecting people who have already taught here before.  I even heard several years ago one person who did interviewing for EPIK (via this site) that he rejected anyone over 40.  I assume such stupid arbitrary standards don't exist anymore or as much as before. 

same reason why Miss Universe is only allowed to be 18 to 28 years old.  How stupid is that?   How can someone that young be considered Miss Universe? She probably hasn't even moved out of her parents house yet.

It's only because they look young and beautiful.  The pageant is so fake and everything that is wrong with this world.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2020, 04:53:59 pm »
well i think it's a bit rich to label yourself Miss Universe when you haven't even conquered intergalactic travel

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2020, 07:54:31 pm »
Luckily my school doesn't talk about the previous teacher who I replaced.  I'm relieved!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2020, 07:16:10 am »
Luckily my school doesn't talk about the previous teacher who I replaced.  I'm relieved!
hang on. what's going on here. now we have a CO2 and CO4, L I and LIC

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2020, 08:59:49 am »

Who dis bitch?

Actually, had a bit too much last night.............. ........ Could have created a troll account............ ....

But not at 849 PM haha, so it ain't me.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2020, 09:22:51 am »
CO3 was taken!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2020, 02:58:28 am »
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=118661.msg806723#msg806723

Up next: oglob, tylerthegloop, and dippedinblue.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2020, 06:46:58 am »
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=118661.msg806723#msg806723

Up next: oglob, tylerthegloop, and dippedinblue.

Okay, ㄴ ㅣ...... Or are you L1?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2020, 07:10:55 am »
Okay, ㄴ ㅣ...... Or are you L1?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang