Read 10681 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: What is your contribution to your school's online classes? Let's vote!
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2020, 01:54:28 pm »
Woot!  Well done George LuCO2.

50 minutes long. 

For one class?? Why? That's longer than an actual in-class class.
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2020, 01:58:52 pm »
elementary - 40 minutes
middle school - 45 minutes
high school - 50 minutes

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2020, 02:03:29 pm »
Agreed. 50 minutes seems a bit excessive for this format. 15 mins + 'homework' seems easily digestible. Easier to make too, surely.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2020, 02:06:18 pm »
Agreed. 50 minutes seems a bit excessive for this format. 15 mins + 'homework' seems easily digestible. Easier to make too, surely.

I cannot think of a single reason to pre-record a 45 minute online class for a 45 minute middle school class.

There's no game, there's no interaction with the students.  You can't lecture 13 year olds in their second language for 45 mins, It doesn't make any sense!!!

Ronnie, clarify and elaborate!

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2020, 02:08:08 pm »

It's high school so it's fifty minutes.  But the 50 minutes includes the work that I want the students to do.  Essentially, the format was broken up like this...

-Intro part video with music - 10 seconds
-Introduction with me - 2 minutes
-Intro part for lesson video with music - 10 seconds
-PPT with narration - 4 minutes
-Me talking on video and then introducing the main video - 2 minutes
-Intro part for that with music - 10 seconds
-Dialogue videos I made myself, shown twice - 8 minutes
-Me talking about those videos and then introducing the quiz part next - 2 minutes
-Intro part with music - 10 seconds
-Then the quiz part is a JPG onscreen, so the students answer 9 multiple choice questions on their paper at home - 10 minutes (VSDC allows you to add a timer onto the video, very useful)
-Me talking again about that and then introducing next part.
-Intro video with music - 10 seconds
-Writing activity about class where they make three sentences.  Then there is instructions about writing the quiz answer + their three sentences and then emailing it to me - 20 minutes
-Then a farewell bit from me -1 minute
-Ending video part with music - 10 seconds

Roughly, that is it. I added the interval video with music just to break things up.  I'll change the music each week.  I only made 20 or so minutes of video of me and then I included the work I want them to do with the time to do it as the next class with another subject is another class.  They can't really come back to my class and see it again.  In some ways teaching at an academic high school for things like this makes my job easier as the students have the discipline and understanding to follow my class.   :-*

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2020, 02:16:05 pm »
Ah right, so written activity intervals make up the bulk of your video. That makes sense.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2020, 02:20:45 pm »
Ronnie, how many of these per week do you have to make? And will they all be this length?

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2020, 02:22:15 pm »
Ah right, so written activity intervals make up the bulk of your video. That makes sense.

Yeh.  Most of the other teachers are just posting long EBS videos or exercise book videos with no input from themselves on camera for fifty minutes.  That is why I said I sacked off the EBS evaluation things like quizs etc as I can't see what the students did.  Meaning for other teacher's classes, they're just watching a video.  So I will just upload a video and students email me their work as they have plenty of time in class to do it.  They won't all do it (170 in each grade) but I know that most of them will do it.  This kind of format is what I do with my normal classes.  a couple of activities with a structure to the class.  I hope they'll enjoy them. How far have you got theman?

Ronnie, how many of these per week do you have to make? And will they all be this length?

2 or 3.  Think I've nailed down the structure and the filming and editing so the next one will be easier.  And they'll all be this length. 

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2020, 02:28:02 pm »
How far have you got theman?
I'm one of those still awaiting instructions from the higher-ups :laugh:

Following these discussions keenly, though, for when the gavel finally drops.

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2020, 03:23:42 pm »
I'm supposed to upload materials (doing a voiceover ppt at the suggestion of another co) and was suddenly told to have it ready by tomorrow (with about 10 minutes left before school ended) with no prior due date mentioned. I was told we were starting on the 16th...so yeah. No recording device at school, so guess I'll be doing that at home tonight.

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2020, 03:37:01 pm »
I'm supposed to upload materials (doing a voiceover ppt at the suggestion of another co) and was suddenly told to have it ready by tomorrow (with about 10 minutes left before school ended) with no prior due date mentioned. I was told we were starting on the 16th...so yeah. No recording device at school, so guess I'll be doing that at home tonight.

Do you have your own personal laptop?  Can you get the PPT on that computer?  If you can, then you can do your own narration over the PPT.  I posted this as to how to do it...

If you open your existing PPT, and then click on 'file' and then click on 'export' and then there is an option for 'create a video'

the bar that comes across shows the quality (which 480p would be the smallest file)

Then in the next drop-down box, click on it and then choose the third option 'recorded timings and narrations'.

Then there is a small box that pops up, that asks you what you want to record, and then you click to start recording.  When you've finished on one slide you can click to go to the next.  When you've finished it will save it.

theman3285 posted this vid about it....

https://youtu.be/selYsj94RQg

All quite easy to do.  You can do a couple of tries to get it right.  Took me few. 

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2020, 08:20:41 am »
Do you have your own personal laptop?  Can you get the PPT on that computer?  If you can, then you can do your own narration over the PPT.  I posted this as to how to do it...

theman3285 posted this vid about it....

https://youtu.be/selYsj94RQg

All quite easy to do.  You can do a couple of tries to get it right.  Took me few. 

Thanks! I ended up getting Screencast-o-matic and just recording from there.  Got really excited because it can insert closed captions and then had to spend time adjusting the video's resolution to make the captions appear large enough to read, lol.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2020, 08:39:35 am »
My middle school third graders are just doing my first Google forms quiz now (after watching my recorded PPT video + hopefully (but realistically probably not) speaking along and doing the practice answers).

It's fun to watch as the scores come in - see who rushed because they knew the stuff vs. because they wanted to get it over with. Who took it twice, watching the average change...

My last question for them (using target grammar) was "How do you like using EBS Online Class?"
Answers so far: ~30% great, ~26% good, ~26% ok, ~11% not good, ~7% terrible.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:54:33 am by shostager »

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2020, 09:37:33 am »
My middle school third graders are just doing my first Google forms quiz now (after watching my recorded PPT video + hopefully (but realistically probably not) speaking along and doing the practice answers).

It's fun to watch as the scores come in - see who rushed because they knew the stuff vs. because they wanted to get it over with. Who took it twice, watching the average change...

My last question for them (using target grammar) was "How do you like using EBS Online Class?"
Thanks for the update. Did your lesson cover the first chapter of your textbook, or did you follow EBS's curriculum?

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2020, 09:54:29 am »
Thanks for the update. Did your lesson cover the first chapter of your textbook, or did you follow EBS's curriculum?

I was told to follow the textbook. My school has actually been posting materials since the original school start date, so my lesson was a review of chapters 1-2.

I went through the dialogue, had some speaking practice sections, then a modified version of the review game I usually play with my students (basically just modified so that they see the question, make a sentence / choose the answer, then check). The Google Forms quiz consisted of questions that showed up in the video (with answers explained), since I didn't want to make it too hard on them the first week in.

As of now, the technical end of the class, ~66% of the students have done the form. About 70% of them think that EBS Online Class is ok to great (most popular answer "ok"). I'm going to keep accepting answers through whenever, but send my coteacher a summary by the end of the day (she didn't ask for this, but I think it's good for her to know how the students are doing).

My school's doing this thing where the entire grade has the same block schedule, so this morning all 3rd graders had 2 periods of English, one of which was mine. I sent my coteacher the video (and link to the Dropbox version, in case), plus the link to the Google Form and an extra review worksheet that I always give out as homework. Students did use the Dropbox link, because two of them commented, haha (nothing bad, but I turned off comments just in case).

My plan for next week is to do another review class, but this time with students recording themselves giving short presentations with the key grammar / vocabulary (I'll have a video giving them the steps, and even examples where they can switch out words/phrases), and then either submit it in a Google Form (they have to have a Google email to do this) or email it to my secondary account. If they have a phone, they can record, but we'll see.

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 10:45:21 am »

Nice work Shostager.  Good to hear it went okay.  Will be interesting to hear from the high school 3rd graders how it went.  Good to hear that your middle school 3rd graders did the lesson.

Actually, one quick thing from my video, was at the end, I reminded my students about the virus precautions.  So held up a mask and told them to wear their mask in public at all time.  Wash their hands frequently and keep a safe distance from others in public.  All easy actions to do on video. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:11 am »
I'm putting all my teaching videos here.

I have a second one and it improves on that first one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVKJwNldRgRqkJiWv6SJf5Q?view_as=subscriber

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2020, 08:26:59 am »
I'm putting all my teaching videos here.

I have a second one and it improves on that first one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVKJwNldRgRqkJiWv6SJf5Q?view_as=subscriber
Crushed it, as always. I was so engrossed I couldn't resist doing the last exercise (comments section) haha

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2020, 08:35:26 am »
Crushed it, as always. I was so engrossed I couldn't resist doing the last exercise (comments section) haha
Thank you so much. :)

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2020, 08:37:04 am »

I assume you have a smart phone?

Look up an app called DroidCam. With it and a usb cable, you can transform your phone to a pretty high quality webcam.
And with a bit of duct tape, who needs an expensive tripod/clamp ?   :smiley: