Read 183 times

Should I use a colon, semicolon, or the good olí period?
« on: March 26, 2020, 01:29:22 am »
ďWe empower organizers to take control of their entire event with a single event technology solution: No more one-off technology vendors. No more disjointed data.Ē

This will be kind of a short elevator pitch for my company. When I wrote it I was sure a colon was the right way to go, but the more I look at it the more unsure I become.

Re: Should I use a colon, semicolon, or the good olí period?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:44:39 am »
Good ol' period.

What follows the colon in your example could be argued to follow the APA's colon guideline that what follows a colon should be a "final phrase or clause that illustrates, extends, or amplifies the preceding thought." But those two utterances refer more to the result of what precedes the colon rather than illustrating, extending, or amplifying it. So a period is better.

And yes, the last two utterances are fragments. But only outdated sticklers object to periods being used with sentence fragments. That is now completely acceptable, especially in the context of your example.

Finally, definitely not a semi-colon. You can look up the reasons for that on you own if you like.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 03:50:52 am »
Good ol' period.

What follows the colon in your example could be argued to follow the APA's colon guideline that what follows a colon should be a "final phrase or clause that illustrates, extends, or amplifies the preceding thought." But those two utterances refer more to the result of what precedes the colon rather than illustrating, extending, or amplifying it. So a period is better.

And yes, the last two utterances are fragments. But only outdated sticklers object to periods being used with sentence fragments. That is now completely acceptable, especially in the context of your example.

Finally, definitely not a semi-colon. You can look up the reasons for that on you own if you like.
Well, if periods are OK with sentence fragments, why be a stickler regarding the colon?

Personally, I 'd use a dash and then a comma between the two "no mores."

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:10:45 am »
"Personally, I 'd use a dash and then a comma between the two "no mores."

That would absolutely work for me, too. Good suggestion in my opinion.

I wasn't being a stickler with the colon. I just said it works better. Thanks for the alternative suggestion.