Read 7129 times

Re: How long do you think we got?
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2020, 11:32:13 am »
100k can buy enough food to live a month or two.

For the many elderly living on their own it means the world.

I have to agree with KoreaBoo.   100k won per month?  That really is quite embarrassing.  Canada gives out $500 a week, which comes to $2000 a month for those who have lost their jobs due to covid19.   But I think the difference here is that Korea's 100k per month is not just for people who lost jobs, it's for everyone, even if you haven't lost your job, so that makes it more understandable by it's just 100k per month. 

Also, unless you are only stockpiling on ramen or eating rice with bean sprout soup (very cheap to make), you can't really live off 100k won a month on food, at least not without losing a lot of weight and being starved all the time.

The long-term effects of eating cheap food or ramen everyday to save money will be countered by the illnesses, diseases, and other sickness you will have to pay later on for in hospital treatment and medicines.   

Re: How long do you think we got?
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:09 am »
This ain't the plum job it once was.  Go back 12 or 15 years, when Korea was poorer, ajossis were more all powerful, and people were more scared.  (Men teachers and education officials could and did make sex jokes and women didn't like them but had to endure.)  The salary compared to the low cost of living was quite high to start.  AT the time, a man had to have a minimum salary of 1.5 million for a woman to consider marrying him.  Minimum wage was around 600,000 a month more or less.  Teachers who were young started at 1,8 million and got bonuses twice a year.  Outside of Seoul or a major city, they, along with other government workers, were the cream of the crop and much more highly paid.  But, people also had to kowtow to arrogant screaming bosses (sometimes).  But, they also got more respect from society.  Their monthly salaries automatically increased by 100,000 a month per year. 

Fast forward many years later.  Minimum wage is almost the teachers minimum salary.  An acceptable salary for marriage is probably double now?  (Though most Korean women don't have the same mindset like they did years ago or at least to the same degree about wanting rich oppa.  So, that is less of an issue than in the past.)  The teacher's salary is the same starting out.  It still starts at 1.8 and goes up 100k every year.  Their total bonuses are about 40% more than ours in total.  (Ours is the 2 million won renewal allowance.) 

Nowadays, most younger teachers are poor or heavily in debt.  Even two younger teachers marrying who have been working for a few years are having a hard time.  They can't buy an apartment like before or if they do go into debt much more.  (Maybe less parent buying than before?)  But, many will drive a nice car but be in debt to their eyeballs.  Especially true for those slightly older in their 30's or 40's.  Some are driving BMW's, etc.  But even a fully loaded Hyundai Santa Fe with all the bells and whistles is 40 million won or so. 

On the other hand, more women are in management positions, more supervisors, principals, etc than before.  Men teachers or officials nowadays are very careful what they would say to a female worker.  Women who have babies are given more consideration like leave time, and leave work early to breast feed, etc.  Some aspects are easier.  People don't scream and yell much anymore and rage like older generation ajossis did.  But, parents and kids have a lot less respect towards teachers.  Heck years ago, in my rural town, when I first started teaching, I got awe from some people when they saw I was a public school teacher and not a hakwon teacher.  A few parents even bowed to me on the street when some kids introduced me as their teacher.  Korean teachers got this even more.  Not now.

I think other civil servants may be on a similar pay scale now also?  Both the foreign and Korean teachers in the schools are having a tough time money wise.  But, I also think a Korean teacher a young one may have less to lose.  I knew a girl who worked some government with a screaming dick of a boss and she just quit and had enough.  When they dangled huge amounts of money over you, I guess you put up with it more?  (Same salary much cheaper living cost and a still poor country outside of Seoul and a few big cities then.) 

In some ways more strict with certain rules now and folks are afraid of small deviations unlike the past where some rules were more "flexible", but on the whole, Korea is much more professional than before.  But the teachers starting now have a lot less financial incentive now than they would have 12 to 15 years ago.

I agree with that.
Even though I only arrived in 2010, I do miss the early days I've been hearing about. I've been in Korea several times before in the past growing up, I actually miss the "old days" (to me the old days were the 90s).  The world was a much better place in the 90s or maybe it's just because I miss being young.....I always get the two confused :S