Read 267 times

• fnord
  • Adventurer

• March 14, 2016, 02:44:25 pm
    • Jinju
"Working from home"
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:42:27 pm »
So, I work at a public elementary school in Gyeongsangnam-do and I've been told to come in and desk warm for the past few weeks.

Seems silly - the schools are closed and you'd think it would be in everyone's best interest for non-essential staff to stay home. I've learned to pick my battles and felt this one wasn't worth fighting.

But today I found out that the other English teacher at my school (Korean, contract teacher) has been "working from home" for the past couple of weeks.

So I asked if I could also "work from home" but was told that an official document from our board of education specifically stated that all native teachers are to come to school during the closure.

Seems a little unfair, don't you think? There's literally no reason for me to be there, and all I'm doing is spending time in contact with others needlessly, and them with me. None of the homeroom teachers are around, it's just the administrative staff and the senior staff (principal, vice, etc) who are here.

Maybe I'm being negatively presumptuous, but is it perhaps so they can keep an eye on us and limit the potential amount of time we run amok outdoors?

Or is it perhaps just an extension of the "we pay you, so we say where you have to be" mentality that sees so many of us needlessly chained to our desks during vacations?

Anyone think this is worth pursuing or is this one of those "different rules for the foreigner" situations that's futile to fight against?

Re: "Working from home"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:05:26 pm »
It's really sneaky that from Gyeongsan-nam do education board.  In Chungnam, a few weeks ago they said all contract teachers could 'work from home', with the same restrictions that the Korean teachers have (like paperwork to say what they did all day, not travelling around etc).  So myself, my Korean co-teacher (also contract) and the admin lady (contract worker) in the main teacher's room were allowed to work from home since the beginning of March.  'Contract workers' meant just that, so for GSND board to single out foreigners to still come is a bit shitty.

I would have been happy to have come in any way which I did for the whole of February even if I didn't agree with it in principle, but that's how it is.  In February, I cleaned all the homeroom classes which took two weeks, just as a way to pass the time. 

What I think will be a bigger problem is just how long it will continue, and if it will last longer than the 6th, which it may well do.  Keep in there!!

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:09:04 pm »
Get cleaning, fnord. Make the classrooms look nice.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 06:01:10 pm »
"All people should stay home if they can. Foreigners should still deskwarm."

TRANSLATION: "Foreigners are not people."
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit