Read 335 times

• nwatz
  • Newgookin

• September 10, 2019, 11:53:33 am
    • Gangwondo
Musicals/Plays afterschool
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:08:01 am »
Hi, So my new co teacher has informed me that during my after school lessons she wants me to begin teaching musicals and plays in preparation for entering the students in an English language play competition.
Does anyone have advice/materials for me? I don't know the first thing about plays/musicals, and my students are super super low level so I feel like my options are extremely limited in what I can actually do.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
Re: Musicals/Plays afterschool
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 11:20:43 am »
Hi, So my new co teacher has informed me that during my after school lessons she wants me to begin teaching musicals and plays in preparation for entering the students in an English language play competition.
Does anyone have advice/materials for me? I don't know the first thing about plays/musicals, and my students are super super low level so I feel like my options are extremely limited in what I can actually do.
Tell her to teach her own damn drama classes. Sheesh.

Re: Musicals/Plays afterschool
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:22:04 pm »
That's a difficult situation.

Maybe you could start with Disney movies, which are already pretty popular in Korea? You could do some vocabulary introduction, gap-fill exercises, singing along to the English version of the songs, reading/speaking games, etc, and then as the year progresses move onto other musicals (Sound of Music may be good, can't think of any others off the top of my head) and different kinds of plays, like shadow puppet or pantomimes.