Kidding. He clearly didn’t mean you  :police:

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Life expectancy of white Americans without a university degree falling
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2020, 04:51:04 am »
The gogators link says:

“The current life expectancy for U.S. in 2020 is 78.93 years, a 0.08% increase from 2019.”

“The current life expectancy for Cuba in 2020 is 78.89 years, a 0.12% increase from 2019.”

I didn't post a link. That link was in your post.

Hey Kyndo, if you can pull yourself away from geography for a moment, can you find out what LI is playing at here?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2020, 05:09:55 am »
gogators! copies stats from online. I went to the original source.
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=119609.msg844994#msg844994
Do you care about inaccurate information? If not, you should.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2020, 07:18:48 am »
I'm guessing that the discrepancies are due to different sources.
The wiki page LI is quoting from lists average lifespan estimates from several sources, including the UNDP, the GDB, the CIA,the UN, the WHO, and the OECD, all of which are apparently for different years, and use slightly different criteria to form their estimates.
Some of them list Cuba as having a higher life expectancy, others the US. Personally, I think the difference is small enough that margins of error,  variations in year and data collection both probably have more to do with which country "lives longer" than any actual difference.
Cuba has always been infamous for having a huge glut of teachers and doctors, most of whom earning about the same as the dudes who mow Castro's lawn. That certainly has an effect on life expectancy, despite the fact that the standard of living in Cuba is significantly lower than that in the USA.  :undecided:

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2020, 03:37:04 am »
I'm guessing that the discrepancies are due to different sources.
The wiki page LI is quoting from lists average lifespan estimates from several sources, including the UNDP, the GDB, the CIA,the UN, the WHO, and the OECD, all of which are apparently for different years, and use slightly different criteria to form their estimates.
Some of them list Cuba as having a higher life expectancy, others the US. Personally, I think the difference is small enough that margins of error,  variations in year and data collection both probably have more to do with which country "lives longer" than any actual difference.
Cuba has always been infamous for having a huge glut of teachers and doctors, most of whom earning about the same as the dudes who mow Castro's lawn. That certainly has an effect on life expectancy, despite the fact that the standard of living in Cuba is significantly lower than that in the USA.  :undecided:
All that I already knew without posting. I'm just wondering why he's saying I posted a link when I did no such thing.

As for Cuban doctors' standard of living, when they work abroad under the auspices of the Cuban government they do much better than at home.

Besides, what's not to like about a country where you can stroll down the street with a freshly rolled cigar in one hand and an ice cream cone in the other?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2020, 08:57:20 am »
I'm guessing that LI believes that he found the source you were citing from, and rather than saying something awkward like "the link from which he was quoting", he just shortened it to "his link".
Yeah. Apparently Cuban doctors had decent training and were in pretty high demand back during the Cold War. I wonder if Cuba still exports doctors these days?
Cigar flavoured ice cream is pretty neat and all, but I'd be pretty nervous living with the knowledge that 'Florida-man' is just over the horizon...  :wink:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2020, 01:20:52 pm »
Yep, if there's anything I remember about the 1980s, it's a total lack of Cold War jingoism. Cuban and Soviet media were inescapable. Reagan was constantly harassed while the media fawned over Fidel Castro. Russians were always portrayed as the "good guys" in popular culture. And now it's the same with China and the CCP, which is always presented as an honest dealer with a great human rights record.

Pretty much.  Media never questions CCP on anything they ever say.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2020, 02:07:41 pm »
oi! u took the b8 m8
more gg more skill

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
Pretty much.  Media never questions CCP on anything they ever say.

Oh dear...

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2020, 01:04:55 pm »
This is embarrassingly dumb.
oo oo ahh ahh

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2020, 07:54:43 pm »
I'm guessing that LI believes that he found the source you were citing from, and rather than saying something awkward like "the link from which he was quoting", he just shortened it to "his link".
Yeah. Apparently Cuban doctors had decent training and were in pretty high demand back during the Cold War. I wonder if Cuba still exports doctors these days?
Cigar flavoured ice cream is pretty neat and all, but I'd be pretty nervous living with the knowledge that 'Florida-man' is just over the horizon...  :wink:
He's right in my backyard. Front yard too.

But as a native Floridian I'm pretty sure most of them are transplants.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:03 am »
All that I already knew without posting. I'm just wondering why he's saying I posted a link when I did no such thing.

As for Cuban doctors' standard of living, when they work abroad under the auspices of the Cuban government they do much better than at home.

Besides, what's not to like about a country where you can stroll down the street with a freshly rolled cigar in one hand and an ice cream cone in the other?

And not have enough food rations, nor access to medicine (shortages), long waits for medical care, no free speech nor human rights, having to previously let Fidel play with your daughters (sexually), living a bare bones existence quite poorly.  But, hey, most everyone except for the elites are equal.  Equally poor. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2020, 10:46:17 am »
Little spiel about Cuba reminds me of this classic rock song.  They had some minor hits.  Decent tracks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFlPdHt1Gk

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2020, 11:13:25 am »
And not have enough food rations, nor access to medicine (shortages), long waits for medical care, no free speech nor human rights, having to previously let Fidel play with your daughters (sexually), living a bare bones existence quite poorly.  But, hey, most everyone except for the elites are equal.  Equally poor. 
All true.
 Although Cuba's PPP (20,000) is well above global average (at around 120% of it).

Cuba's standard of living has risen rapidly, especially over the last 10 years.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2020, 10:30:25 pm »
trump played with people's daughters with Epstein, didn't he?

People in the US are waiting in very long lines for food and many have died from lack of access to medical care.