Read 2463 times

Re: What are you doing during these strange virus times?
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 08:51:12 am »
What are you guys doing these days - not leaving your house, going out to cafes and restaurants as usual or something in between?

I feel like I've been lulled into a false sense of security because everything feels so strangely "normal".  Coffee shops and restaurants look like they're back to business as usual when you look in the window, streets are far from deserted etc.  If I weren't so ugly I'd swear the guy behind me at the checkout in Homeplus was coming on to me he was standing so close.  Social distancing??  I've just watched six teachers huddle around a tiny table in the office sharing fruit from one plate.

It feel like the cautious time has completely passed now but I'm still worried haha.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 10:21:30 am »
Yeah people definitely seem to be out and about more. I'm just staying at home or going for a hike. Anything that doesn't involve spending money :sad:

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 11:01:38 am »
Anything that doesn't involve spending money :sad:

wanking is cheap, when done properly.   8)

ah, I've brought shame on and derailed my own thread...   :sad:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 11:11:50 am »
I'm already enough of a wanker

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:09 am »
There is also no point in keeping schools closed since you see entire families out and about, shopping, eating out and such. There are some families or more like mothers that take it more seriously and they wouldn't want to send their kids to school until there are no new infections in the country. This minority of parents still amounts to hundreds of thousands and that is a large enough number to pressure the authorities into further delaying the start of the semester. But again, at the same time, over 60-70% of the population is living life like nothing happenned. So keeping students at home will not make a real difference.

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 02:18:53 pm »
Had to go to the hospital to get my medical certificate and got in an argument with the ajjushi checking tempratures at the entrance. He only wiped down the thermometer after I asked him to
and the wipe he was using was a torn off piece of tissue you buy at the convenience store; it wasn't an ethanol swab and he was using THE SAME little piece of tissue for EVERYONE.

At the track, I saw a bunch of guys in firefighter uniforms, though they looked too old and fat to really do the job of a firefighter, having a picnic and sharing food from the same plate.

Kids and people are walking around, in large groups and no masks, sitting in coffee shops and just enjoying this period as if it were a holiday.

I'll never forget the phrase an expat skier used to describe Korea in a 2005 ski magazine, "Korea, the land of almost right". 

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 02:44:20 pm »
I get the point, but given that we're in the middle to end of the biggest outbreak in a century, and Korea is being almost universally praised while western countries are in complete chaos, isn't it time we be a tad less judgmental? I mean, they aren't the ones hoarding TP, completely shuttering businesses, drinking beer from ass cracks and filling up ice rinks with bodies.

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:34 pm »
I get the point, but given that we're in the middle to end of the biggest outbreak in a century, and Korea is being almost universally praised while western countries are in complete chaos, isn't it time we be a tad less judgmental? I mean, they aren't the ones hoarding TP, completely shuttering businesses, drinking beer from ass cracks and filling up ice rinks with bodies.

Exactly where, in my post, did I compare Korea to the West in any way, shape or form? I'm actively trying to avoid degrading this to a vulgar "us vs. them" competition that the world is hell-bent on engaging in these days. it's called "whataboutism" and it doesn't help anyone.
I criticise what I see around me and at present, I find myself in Korea. If I were in South Africa, I'd be criticising the government sucking up to the CCP and waiting till the 11th hour to actually take drastic measures.

Korea is adopting a far more effective approach than many countries, but there are still plenty of cracks in it's approach (lack of enforcement, half-arsed measures on the ground, etc.) and when dealing with a highly contagious virus, you either handle it 100% correctly or you don't, there's no middle ground so I repeat the phrase, "Korea, the land of almost right".

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 05:59:29 pm »

Ah, yes. The sparkling Korean countryside.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2020, 12:01:02 am »
What are you guys doing these days - not leaving your house, going out to cafes and restaurants as usual or something in between?

I feel like I've been lulled into a false sense of security because everything feels so strangely "normal".  Coffee shops and restaurants look like they're back to business as usual when you look in the window, streets are far from deserted etc.  If I weren't so ugly I'd swear the guy behind me at the checkout in Homeplus was coming on to me he was standing so close.  Social distancing??  I've just watched six teachers huddle around a tiny table in the office sharing fruit from one plate.

It feel like the cautious time has completely passed now but I'm still worried haha.

We were asked to work from home for three weeks (and will be extended into June).  I've been performing a program evaluation and needs assessment for two different programs.  I update my progress on the google classrooms and have been doing interviews over the phone. 

It has been far more productive than being in the office.

Yesterday we received a directive from the LCdr telling us we were not going to be traveling for conferences and would remain at home until the middle of June.  All work will be done online and any learning through email and DL.

We are not restricted to move around, we answer a health questionnaire online every morning and make sure we keep in contact with others during the day during our work.  I do what I need to do during the day, but I have to get my work completed and on time.  Any shortcomings are noted in the limitations/restrictions in my reports.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:10 am »

Because we're trying to quash a pandemic, we should be more laissez-faire in regard to the behavior of (potentially infected) people?

Everyone has praised the response of the Korean government. If irresponsible citizens undo all of that good work, where will you lay the blame? At the feet of judgmental foreigners who were arguing for Koreans to exercise more caution and take better care of each other?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 10:33:51 am »

Ah, yes. The sparkling Korean countryside.
    Well, I mean, it *is* early spring. It'll look a lot better in a month or two when everything greens: heck, even right now, only a week latter, all those dead looking trees have turned into fluffy pink clouds.

I agree it doesn't really compare to the countryside I grew up in, but is sure beats living at some scuzzy back alley neighbourhood in Seoul or Busan!

• Irv83
  • Adventurer

• March 22, 2017, 02:33:49 am
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 11:51:31 am »
Bought a cheap Acrylic paint set from Daiso and been working on some painting.
Be excellent to each other!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 01:43:10 pm »
Re-watching Father Ted lead to YouTube suggesting a show called UK Border Force which was thoroughly enjoyable. Watching people claim they have nothing to declare at the airport then turn out to have two suitcases full of nothing but smokes was great fun.  That in turn lead to suggestions of my new favourite show on YouTube, Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords.  It's addictive.  Something about watching British trailer trash for a change.  I feel like I'm back living in Patong with some of these characters. 

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 02:23:44 pm »
Re-watching Father Ted lead to YouTube suggesting a show called UK Border Force which was thoroughly enjoyable. Watching people claim they have nothing to declare at the airport then turn out to have two suitcases full of nothing but smokes was great fun.  That in turn lead to suggestions of my new favourite show on YouTube, Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords.  It's addictive.  Something about watching British trailer trash for a change.  I feel like I'm back living in Patong with some of these characters. 

Haha, I rewatched Father Ted last week too after watching all of Black Books the previous week.  I've not seen Father Ted for years and forgot just how fukcing funny it was.  I always remember in interviews they felt sorry for Frank Kelly who plays Father Jack because he is a classically trained actor from stage and screen and all he does is shout 'feck off' 'drink' 'gals', but boy does he do it well.  The episode on the plane is the best.  And I also watched all of Green Wing too. 

I also realise how much I miss football too.  Just waking up and during breakfast checking the Guardian for the football news that happened when I was asleep.  You don't realise how much you miss it when it's gone and it is so much of your daily routine.  As a huge Arsenal fan, I've enjoyed going back and watching the 90s/2000s Arsenal games.  What an era for the Gunners.   

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 03:13:20 pm »
Watching MOTD on a Sunday was the best bit of Sunday. Having said that, I can't keep track of which day of the week it is anymore anyway

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2020, 04:19:07 pm »
Guys this happens every May, you should be used to it by now.

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2020, 05:52:40 pm »
Guys this happens every May, you should be used to it by now.

Yeh, but then we have the World Cup or the Euros to look forward too. Or the daily nonsense transfer speculation.  Or cricket even.  There being zero sports is very disorientating.  But I think they have to finish this year's PL whenever it's safe to do, and then decide something about next season.  Liverpool really deserve to be champs, and I can say that now as they've lost a game  :laugh: ;D :azn: so I don't care anymore.  Arsenal's invincibles season will never be matched.   :-* 

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2020, 08:46:08 am »
Yeah, really missing football.  My Friday night routine is watching the previous weekend's Match of the Day.  Something to look forward to at the end of a busy week.  So recently I've been torrenting random old episodes  :laugh:

It's all fun and games until I get an episode with Jermaine Jenas  >:(  Can't stand him!

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2020, 09:00:57 am »
Yeah, really missing football.  My Friday night routine is watching the previous weekend's Match of the Day.  Something to look forward to at the end of a busy week.  So recently I've been torrenting random old episodes  :laugh:

It's all fun and games until I get an episode with Jermaine Jenas  >:(  Can't stand him!

Thing is with Jenas he never was very good.  I kind of want my pundits to have done something as it shows they have that players mentality.  Same goes with waankers like Robbie Savage.  I don't care if he gives footballing cliches, just tell me something interesting. 

This video shows why Jenas is not in the same class as Ferdinand or Keown when they're talking about derbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPoe7lh5XY

Alex, you do realise that you can watch MOTD the next day on Sunday from about lunchtime on places like these...

https://www.footballorgin.com/category/tv-show/bbc-match-of-the-day-motd/
https://lasthl.com/category/shows/match-of-the-day/