Read 2894 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: Americans in Korea (is it worth it?)
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:00 pm »
Gent?

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 05:57:50 pm »
Most Americans cannot find their own country on a world map.

Seriously.

Wow why are you a moderator? You're a bigger troll than some of the usual suspects here. Been stuck inside too long?
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 10:25:48 pm »
Wow why are you a moderator? You're a bigger troll than some of the usual suspects here. Been stuck inside too long?

Ah hahaha

...and there's that American inability to laugh at themselves    :laugh:

Catch my drift?

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:16 am »
We laugh at ourselves plenty, meanwhile people from other countries can't stand the fact that the US exists. And if we criticize them they cry a river.

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:27 am »
For someone who loves to dish it out at Korea, you sure get awfully prickly when it comes to taking it.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:25 pm »
Most Americans cannot find their own country on a world map.

Seriously.

As a Canadian who moved with family down to the US and actually graduated from high school in the states I can say that Van Islander made that up.  Itís simply not true.  The rest of the countries of the world and even other states?  Yeah, I was pretty surprised how little they knew. But the ďcanít find their own country on a mapĒ is a cliche Canadian smug and ignorant comment.  Canít stop a poster with those type of remarks,  but as a moderator you should be above that.  If youíre bringing anti-American sentiment to the table because you think it sells well in the age of Trump probably best to hang up the moderator hat.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2020, 04:23:09 pm »
Only beef I have with Brits is their obsession with American politics.  On my Facebook page, whenever I post something political the Brits come out in droves criticizing what I wrote.  Meanwhile, whenever they post something about their countries politics, the only time I ever comment is when I want to learn more.  Other than that I keep my opinion to myself because I look at it as none of my business.  Just don't get why Brits (in my tiny sphere of experience) find it so necessary to insert themselves in debates about American politics like we are still a colony of England or something, lol.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2020, 06:05:50 pm »
Sorry for expressing my impression. The belief may be wrong.

It comes from watching too many American late night shows. Jay Leno, James Corden, Jimmy Fallon and the Daily Show ALL have had re-occurring segments showing oeople on the street not able to find America on a map, name two continents, etc. SERIOUSLY. They milk it constantly. Of course, they don't show the people who know.

Instead of "most" I should have said "a surprisingly frequent number" to reflect my experience.

That said, I recall National Geograohy magazine did a 3000-person poll in several countries of geographic literacy and the U.S. did next to worst (29% couldn't identify the Pacific Ocean). American professors have lamented the lack of basic geography knowledge. There is an educational problem. But "most" may be too much.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2020, 06:15:30 pm »
Only beef I have with Brits is their obsession with American politics.  On my Facebook page, whenever I post something political the Brits come out in droves criticizing what I wrote.  Meanwhile, whenever they post something about their countries politics, the only time I ever comment is when I want to learn more.  Other than that I keep my opinion to myself because I look at it as none of my business.  Just don't get why Brits (in my tiny sphere of experience) find it so necessary to insert themselves in debates about American politics like we are still a colony of England or something, lol.

The UK media has always massively gone on about US politics to the extent that a lot of Brits feel it's part of their sphere of knowledge and want to comment on it. Meanwhile the US press refers to the UK as 'England' and reports things like 'Manchester is 'England's second city ' (after the bombings). Personally, I agree with you that the number of non US Trump experts on this site is pretty pronounced. I was hoping Trump bashing would go the same way as climate change when Coronavirus appeared on the scene, but it seems it's not to be.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 06:38:48 pm »
I wonder if the Canadian school system teaches young impressionable children from an early age to dislike the United States (much like Korea does with Japan). It seems Canadian politicians speak about the big bad USA as a way to distract from their own shortcomings. The first time I met Canadians as a kid, they were going on and on about how American products are of inferior quality to Canadian products and how Americans are more arrogant than Canadians and less refined, less knowledgable, less intelligent. What the heck?! I was shocked by this rudeness. I was trying to make new friends, have a good time, and play. I guess they were just repeating what their parents said unaware of how this isn't going to win them any friends... in the United States at least.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2020, 06:45:34 pm »
I met Canadian English teachers in Korea who were boasting about how kind and humble Canadians are and how Canadians are well liked all across the world.

And claimed Americans are so nationalistic.

But have you ever seen an American English teacher wearing an American flag?

I never have.

Never.

Have you ever seen a Canadian wearing the maple leaf symbol?

All the time.

Even bringing huge Canadian flags to dance clubs to unfurl on stage.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 07:07:16 pm »
Non-Americans ragging on Americans have the little man syndrome.

Incidentally, how could Americans be simultaneously stupid and evil oppressors? Sustained power requires intelligence.

Identity politics is stupid.

To say "Americans are..." followed by something negative is a bigoted statement (and probably untrue).

No one chooses the land on which they were born.

White pride, black pride, Canadian pride, British pride, etc. is all stupid.

Because it's not something you earned.

It's not something you worked for.

It's not something you accomplished.

It just happened.

You were born that way.

Better to take pride in something deeper.

Transcend tribalism. 

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2020, 07:44:40 pm »
Brits are raised from birth to think of themselves as superior and smarter than Americans, which is pretty silly. Also it's always fun seeing them whine about American imperialism when they invented modern imperialism. I think they're still butthurt that they lost their empire.

Canadians are completely obsessed with the US, mostly in negative ways. They have no way of defining themselves other than "not American." Meanwhile we're barely aware of their existence.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2020, 08:09:49 pm »
Brits are raised from birth to think of themselves as superior and smarter than Americans, which is pretty silly. Also it's always fun seeing them whine about American imperialism when they invented modern imperialism

You're talking of the way things used to be in the 1980s. Nowadays Brits who are raised at all, are taught their country was built on the back of slavery and colonialism and is generally far inferior to all the poor countries that never invented democracy, rule of law, innocent until guilty, rights for individuals, separation of church and state,  etc. But they are still slightly superior to the US because at least they have the NHS and no Trump.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:51 pm »
Non-Americans ragging on Americans have the little man syndrome.

Incidentally, how could Americans be simultaneously stupid and evil oppressors? Sustained power requires intelligence.

Identity politics is stupid.

To say "Americans are..." followed by something negative is a bigoted statement (and probably untrue).

No one chooses the land on which they were born.

White pride, black pride, Canadian pride, British pride, etc. is all stupid.

Because it's not something you earned.

It's not something you worked for.

It's not something you accomplished.

It just happened.

You were born that way.

Better to take pride in something deeper.

Transcend tribalism. 
ENG-ER-LAND cmon AV IT ya YANKIE KANTS. WAYYYY FOOKIN DO ONE INNIT

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2020, 10:12:19 pm »
The UK media has always massively gone on about US politics to the extent that a lot of Brits feel it's part of their sphere of knowledge and want to comment on it. Meanwhile the US press refers to the UK as 'England' and reports things like 'Manchester is 'England's second city ' (after the bombings). Personally, I agree with you that the number of non US Trump experts on this site is pretty pronounced. I was hoping Trump bashing would go the same way as climate change when Coronavirus appeared on the scene, but it seems it's not to be.
i just find it astonishing that trump will, almost every single day, say something that is equally hilarious, depressing, shocking, and insane.

climate change only depresses me, so trump's "winning" at the moment

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2020, 10:43:13 pm »
As a Canadian who moved with family down to the US and actually graduated from high school in the states I can say that Van Islander made that up. . Itís simply not true

Its entirely believable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxB1x-zb_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ky-wRHxPg

Quote from: leaponover
Only beef I have with Brits is their obsession with American politics.

That's because they get spammed by the globalist *cough* american media 24/7. cultural imperialism.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:55:15 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2020, 03:52:30 am »
i just find it astonishing that trump will, almost every single day, say something that is equally hilarious, depressing, shocking, and insane.

climate change only depresses me, so trump's "winning" at the moment
Vegas is now taking bets on how many times he uses certain words. That's how v=boring and inane his rambles are.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2020, 12:30:46 pm »
Its entirely believable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxB1x-zb_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ky-wRHxPg

That's because they get spammed by the globalist *cough* american media 24/7. cultural imperialism.

As Van Islander himself mentioned those shows only feature the people that make mistakes for the most part.  There wouldn't be much entertainment value otherwise.  To base your opinion on that is either naive or wishful thinking. It fits an existing stereotype.  As to Americans and knowledge outside their borders I was pretty shocked by how little they knew.  But the world pays attention to the US and a lot Americans look inward. In the well-heeled bedroom community of Manhattan I lived in the school had plenty of resources. Even had a car and driver's ed. And permit testing was done free through a segment of gym class.  Geography wasn't a subject at any grade.  But, too say most Americans can't find the US on a map with the emphasis "seriously" based on TV show segment is unfair. 

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »
lol VanIslander trying to defend himself by citing heavily edited late night comedy show videos to rationalize his trolling.

If Americans were so bad at geography we wouldn't be so good at invading other countries and the moon to boot. But no keep telling yourself that you're better than us.