Read 1010 times

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
The modelling projected that if the UK did nothing, 81% of people would be infected and 510,000 would die from coronavirus by August. xxxxxxx, 45, father of two, is the UK's youngest coronavirus victim
Chief Scientific Advisor Sir Patrick Vallance says government is aiming to get number of coronavirus deaths down to 20,000 or below
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:17:38 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
Re: New models predict death toll rising to 500.000 in the UK.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:55:31 am »
That's a lot of significant digits.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.
-AP

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »
Does anyone  believe this?

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 04:37:42 pm »
You guys in Korea seem to be fairly sedate about it, so I have been as well, but things in Europe are increasingly resembling scenes from 28 Days later to be honest. Economy is down the drains as well for much of the foreseeable future... we are talking about much much worse than the 2009 crash. The gov. is paying 90% of all salaries now for small and medium-sized businesses but they cannot keep that up for very long. After a few months businesses will go under and mass lay-offs are likely.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 05:01:41 pm »
thread title should be:

New models predict death toll rising to 500.000 in the UK. if nothing is done.

To cut off half the sentence is misleading.

(Is nothing gonna be done?)

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 05:16:08 pm »
With Boris at the helm? Prolly.  ;D
Title was directly taken from BBC.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 05:26:47 pm »
Title was directly taken from BBC.

Found it:

Coronavirus: UK changes course amid death toll fears
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51915302

Maybe the title was changed to be more accurate?

How about changing your title, too?

I'm wondering ... are headlines- even from the BBC- made to be clickbaity, remaining that way until there is significant complaint?

If so, that's sad.

And if they are made quickly by someone skimming over the article without reading it, that's also sad.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 06:17:28 pm »
the bbc seems to always edit their headlines and articles without mentioning that they did so

it's either clickbait or incompetence

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 01:09:52 am »
You guys in Korea seem to be fairly sedate about it, so I have been as well, but things in Europe are increasingly resembling scenes from 28 Days later to be honest. Economy is down the drains as well for much of the foreseeable future... we are talking about much much worse than the 2009 crash. The gov. is paying 90% of all salaries now for small and medium-sized businesses but they cannot keep that up for very long. After a few months businesses will go under and mass lay-offs are likely.

But it's all an overreaction. A small percentage of the population will sadly succumb to the virus.....the majority of the population will be infected...fight it off...and then be immune. It's inevitable....all we can do is slow it to not overwhelm the health care system. But the extreme length that North America and some European countries are going through is just insane. Mandating the closing of restaurants, national parks, places of business is just insane. Ya'll need to follow the lead of Korea, Singapore and a few other countries. I'm so happy to be where I am instead of my home country of Canada.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 02:46:21 am »
Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Belgium in lockdown...all stores closing except for supermarkets and pharmacies.
incumbo studiis

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 03:23:49 am »
and then be immune.
To a degree but it can, and probably will, mutate. Luckily viruses that stick around year-after-year mutate to be weaker so it doesn't kill the host.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 05:07:01 am »
Boris reluctantly closes schools, but keeps pubs open.
 :rolleyes:
incumbo studiis

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Boris reluctantly closes schools, but keeps pubs open.
 :rolleyes:

To be fair his dad needs somewhere to go and drown his sorrows at the thought of having  Boris for a son

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
To be fair his dad needs somewhere to go and drown his sorrows at the thought of having  Boris for a son
dunno, his dad seems like a bit of a kant too

dunno, his dad seems like a bit of a kant too

dunno, they're both massive johnsons  :undecided:

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
But it's all an overreaction. A small percentage of the population will sadly succumb to the virus.....the majority of the population will be infected...fight it off...and then be immune. It's inevitable....all we can do is slow it to not overwhelm the health care system. But the extreme length that North America and some European countries are going through is just insane. Mandating the closing of restaurants, national parks, places of business is just insane. Ya'll need to follow the lead of Korea, Singapore and a few other countries. I'm so happy to be where I am instead of my home country of Canada.

It's not as simple as this. Check the video I posted.

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=119586.msg818609;topicseen#new
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
I told my mother and another friend in Canada  just today to not mention Coronavirus to me unless someone we mutually know well has a confirmed case.  You could sense the disappointment in their curt responses.  Reading social media and the news back home you would think the hardest hit country was Canada.  Same goes with media from the states as far as I can see.  Canada is way back in the list, behind a ship even that makes the list.  Whatever their motivation some people, like cohort2019 here, want to present the worst possible scenarios and put themselves in the midst of it.  Some people are disappointed by people not freaking out here.  I was at emart the other day and took photos, including no lines, pasta, meat, frozen foods, water and toilet paper in plenty of supply and sent them to people who had sent me photos of depleted shelves back home. Most of them don't respond because pretending the apocalypse is coming is exciting. Probably the same kind of people that participate in zombie walks.  When it really does start spreading back home people are going to realize holing up at home is in the best case extreme tedium. This is not fun, but neither is it terrifying.

This is not fun, but neither is it terrifying.

In my sibling chat group I have with my brothers and sisters, I kind of had a  :rolleyes: moment with a message by my sister.  We're obviously worried about our mum and dad not getting infected, so chat about what we can do to keep them included and not lonely while they stay at home.  But my sister wrote about 'if we could see her in her garden each week and drop off supplies'.  I have this image of my mum in her garden and my sister turning up in a hazmat suit and dropping a box over the wall.  She tends to overreact and seems to have bought into most of the media hype, so I wanted to be careful in my reply knowing that I thought it was overreacting.  I know it's better to overreact than to be blase.  Both of my parents go out for walks daily to keep fit so they're not homebound.  My mum lives in a small rural village, so goes up to the shops to buy things and get newspapers etc.  That is why I found my sisters comment so strange.  She's not a leper.   :undecided:

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
It's good to hear things are looking more and more like  a great extended spring  holiday over there for you guys.

Now, if you wouldn't mind too much, we've got classes to teach while people around us are falling ill left and right. If our scientists predict numbers of 60-80% infected with very limited access to ventilators, to me, to us, there's nothing partisan nor questionable about that. Those are simply the facts and we expect the virus to have huge economic consequences and exact a large death toll in the order of hundreds of thousands per EU nation for at least  a year.

Glad to hear you are safe and kimchi killed the virus for you guys and that everyone is heading back to work soon. 
incumbo studiis

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
It's good to hear things are looking more and more like  a great extended spring  holiday over there for you guys.

Now, if you wouldn't mind too much, we've got classes to teach while people around us are falling ill left and right. If our scientists predict numbers of 60-80% infected with very limited access to ventilators, to me, to us, there's nothing partisan nor questionable about that. Those are simply the facts and we expect the virus to have huge economic consequences and exact a large death toll in the order of hundreds of thousands per EU nation for at least  a year.

Glad to hear you are safe and kimchi killed the virus for you guys and that everyone is heading back to work soon. 

Hey, you don't really sound glad that people aren't panicking and overreacting here.  You sound almost resentful about it.  If you want all your worst case scenarios confirmed I'd stick to Facebook.  Countries that haven't experienced the full peak yet seem to be doing the best at spreading fear. 
A great extended spring break? That's honestly been your take away from these discussions?  It has not been fun at all.  I've been staying in almost all the time. My gym is closed and to be responsible I mostly just head out for necessities when I need them. Some hikes in the mountains to clear the fog of being indoors so long. It's almost three weeks of the kind of boredom and lack of normal interaction that leads to stress.  And I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm getting paid. I guess you're disappointed people aren't  freaking out here.  It's not because people are being naive. We are just reacting to the reality of the situation.  Sorry the chicken little reaction hasn't been the result.