Read 16101 times

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: Official Announcements RE Delayed Semester Schedules
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2020, 12:40:04 pm »
Whatevs, all I know is that my kids went skiing in the Alps and then many of us got ill. Now, for no apparent reason, I've been feeling like I'm running in sharp, lung scorching Seoul air whenever I go exercising.

Whether that's down to lasting damage from having lived in Korea or having had some Covid symptoms I don't know, but I am really not looking forward to seeing colleagues keel over all for the economy, with 95% of the population still left unexposed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:42:03 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2020, 01:21:04 pm »
Middle school here: My school's tentative plan (my co-teacher says it's likely to change) is to have each grade come in for a full week of in-person classes, then two weeks of online class (cycling through which grade is in the school at any given time). This would continue until the end of the first semester, which they've extended until a few
weeks after summer vacation now. Students would stay in their homerooms, and subject teachers would go to them. This plan doesn't sound too bad to me (same level of lesson planning), but we'll see what happens in the next week...

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2020, 02:20:19 pm »
Students would stay in their homerooms, and subject teachers would go to them.
Isn't this pretty much normal for most subject, except for maybe PE, art, and music, and occasionally science?

« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2020, 02:31:27 pm »
Isn't this pretty much normal for most subject, except for maybe PE, art, and music, and occasionally science?
You've never had your own English room?

I'm wondering how this is going to work at my new school. I have my own room, and as far as I can tell, the students typically move between classes, for all subjects. My new co-teacher described it as a 'university style' system. If I have to lug all my materials between classes I'm going to be so pissed at China.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2020, 02:36:37 pm »
You've never had your own English room?

I'm wondering how this is going to work at my new school. I have my own room, and as far as I can tell, the students typically move between classes, for all subjects. My new co-teacher described it as a 'university style' system. If I have to lug all my materials between classes I'm going to be so pissed at China.
Depends on the school. Some schools they have some English room, other schools no room, and even other they have an English room but nobody has used it since like 2009. Currently I lug around a laptop and go into the classrooms. It pretty much eats up like 3 minutes at the beginning, on top of the walk to the class after the bell rings.

Anyways traditionally in Korea subject teachers go to the classrooms.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2020, 02:41:46 pm »

I have my own English room in my current school, which I quite like, because the computer is reliable and I can set up beforehand for any activities. I have been the roving English teacher before, so I appreciate having the room, but I guess I'll go back to my old ways now.

« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2020, 02:51:01 pm »
I have been the roving English teacher before, so I appreciate having the room, but I guess I'll go back to my old ways now.
I don't know how this will be possible at my new school, because, as far as I know, the teachers pretty much stay in their classrooms and don't have communal offices with workstations to retreat to between classes. I wonder how strictly the governmental guidelines will be enforced.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2020, 03:33:55 pm »
I don't know how this will be possible at my new school, because, as far as I know, the teachers pretty much stay in their classrooms and don't have communal offices with workstations to retreat to between classes. I wonder how strictly the governmental guidelines will be enforced.
You're in an elementary? Elementary traditionally works that way, while middle, and high, schools generally teachers don't have their desks in the classrooms.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
wow, good luck to all. Stay away from your students as far as you can because I am sure they won't.
incumbo studiis

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2020, 02:55:11 pm »
Some of the suggestions for social distancing at my middle school are absolutely ridiculous. I give it till next friday before they are slung out. Either come back to school, or don't. 20 mins of A/B classes. No turning around in class. No groups in or out of class. Break times in class observed by teachers. Temp checks 4 times per day. Lunch divided between classes spread through the day (Including first lunch at 9:30am - Think how starving those poor guys are gonna be who get the late shift) Numerous others... What a mess. But gotta look like we are doing something! Right? 
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:42 pm »
Time to print out one of these: ;D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:08:59 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #211 on: Yesterday at 08:18:30 am »
Some of the suggestions for social distancing at my middle school are absolutely ridiculous. I give it till next friday before they are slung out. Either come back to school, or don't. 20 mins of A/B classes. No turning around in class. No groups in or out of class. Break times in class observed by teachers. Temp checks 4 times per day. Lunch divided between classes spread through the day (Including first lunch at 9:30am - Think how starving those poor guys are gonna be who get the late shift) Numerous others... What a mess. But gotta look like we are doing something! Right?

At my school, the first day back during the welcoming ceremony. The last thing that was done, was talking about the covid-19 safety guidelines and everything we have to do, while at school, to not spread it.
The final thing that was said was: maintain a metre distance away from each other.
Within 60 seconds of saying that, the teachers got a bunch of students to group up and got them to stand side by side, so that their arms were touching while grouped up hahaha.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #212 on: Yesterday at 09:04:19 am »
we have a temperature station set up.......in the middle of the school. so students have to cluster together in the small hallway - in the middle of the school - and take their temperature. i suppose if they have a high temperature, they have to walk around the other way through school...and i dunno. then go home?

surely put the temperature stations at the front/back gates so they get checked BEFORE they walk past a million students in the school..?