Read 6188 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Announcement RE delayed semester due tomorrow (17th March)
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2020, 12:58:49 pm »
Watch a movie for four weeks?

Educational movies?

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 01:02:21 pm »
When I was a lad we didnít watch movies in school all day for weeks. Pretty much never happened. Maybe once a year I saw a movie in school. Thatís in the US. Different elsewhere?

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020, 01:09:16 pm »
Watch a movie for four weeks?

Educational movies?

We usually have our final exams and then two more weeks until summer/winter vacation.  During that time the students just watch films in all their classes.  Come to think of it, they do the same for those two weeks in Feb so that's six weeks total.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020, 01:19:39 pm »
Seems like a waste.

Does it take two weeks to grade an exam?

What's the point of students coming into school?

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2020, 01:22:29 pm »
I bet the movies students are watching are not educational.

From what I've heard anyways.

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2020, 01:46:22 pm »
Definitely not educational.  It's whatever latest popular film the students or teachers have torrented and have on hand on their USB lol.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020, 02:20:34 pm »
all teachers have the same working days/vacations. it's already set in stone

So all of a sudden, Korea is the cornerstone of trust.

Got it.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 02:48:47 pm »
so all of a sudden, you know more about my job than i do.

got it.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2020, 03:43:22 pm »
so all of a sudden, you know more about my job than i do.

got it.

No, I surely do not  But that does not take a way the probability of once again, people getting phucked over because poor, little Korea requires everyone to "understand". 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2020, 06:08:47 pm »
need a hug?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:36 pm »
need a hug?

...hugs are probably what the world needs.  But, I'm good...thank you for the offer.

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2020, 10:21:00 am »
This would be a great opportunity for the Education department to reconsider the curriculum. The public school curriculum for English, as well as the conventional teaching methodology, is based on the Audio Linguistic method, a pedagogical approach for teaching/learning languages that fell out of favour, in the West, in the 40s and 50s; it's incredibly outdated and an overhaul is long overdue.

Wasting 4 weeks teaching students to memorise 2 contrived key expressions should come under question in these circumstances.
There are far better and more successful methodologies and curricula able to develop communication skills in much shorter time frames.

Not holding my breath though.

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2020, 01:02:55 pm »
This would be a great opportunity for the Education department to reconsider the curriculum. The public school curriculum for English, as well as the conventional teaching methodology, is based on the Audio Linguistic method, a pedagogical approach for teaching/learning languages that fell out of favour, in the West, in the 40s and 50s; it's incredibly outdated and an overhaul is long overdue.

Wasting 4 weeks teaching students to memorise 2 contrived key expressions should come under question in these circumstances.
There are far better and more successful methodologies and curricula able to develop communication skills in much shorter time frames.

Not holding my breath though.

I couldn't agree more, Aristocrat.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:46 pm »
My hagwon biss just told me two more weeks for sure.

That makes an even 6 weeks.

I better have classes on Apr. 6th.
My contract ends April 30th.

The light at the end of the tunnel: Amidst the reduced infection rate in the country, the govt has denied the half-mill petition's claim to delay the public school openings, saying IN THE SAME BREATH they aren't going to open earlier.

That April 15th election is what it's all about. If the infection rate remains double digits daily (under 100), then all looks good for classes to resume in April (though i suspect a one more delay of two weeks takes the govt a few days past the election: better sade than sorry. Apr.6+14= Apr. 20... i'd ve red lining it personally if that happened. Touch and go, in terms of whether i can handle it. Gawd, here's hoping no big surprises happen from here on out.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2020, 01:25:58 pm »
You've talked with the boss about renewing?

What's the (tentative) word?

I imagine there's been and will continue to be a big loss of business; I wonder how that will play out.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2020, 11:05:21 am »
The government said it also plans to distribute guidelines on preventing COVID-19's spread, such as keeping distances between students at 1 to 2 meters, providing hand sanitizer and mandating that students and teachers wear masks.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200324000339

With schools set to open on April 6, the government also released advice for schools ahead of the new school term.

Schools were told to distance seats in classrooms and vary class schedules to minimize contact between students. They were also advised to install cubicles in cafeterias or order lunch boxes to minimize contact there.

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2020, 10:06:15 am »
The government said it also plans to distribute guidelines on preventing COVID-19's spread, such as keeping distances between students at 1 to 2 meters, providing hand sanitizer and mandating that students and teachers wear masks.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200324000339

With schools set to open on April 6, the government also released advice for schools ahead of the new school term.

Schools were told to distance seats in classrooms and vary class schedules to minimize contact between students. They were also advised to install cubicles in cafeterias or order lunch boxes to minimize contact there.

In other words, let's stop being human anymore and just become robots.

In all honesty, I can appreciate and understand the over-the-top policies, but I think it's pointless.  If someone has the virus and goes to school, separating the desks an extra foot apart or telling students they can only hang around with 1 person at a time and no more, is not going to prevent an outbreak.   

It's really sad because 99+% there's nothing to worry about.  Even if school resumes April 6, I guarantee you the moment there's a small outbreak in a school (say 10-20 students infected), the entire country will shutdown again and all schools nationwide will be cancelled and held off another 2 weeks, rinse and repeat.    Korea is actually doing really well with containing the virus and cases are slowing down, numbers will decrease as more people recover than new cases reported.   The rest of the world (outside East Asia) is struggling very bad.
They are still going to exponentially increase.  I find it hard to believe that if all other countries have still shut down their schools, that Korea would decide to be the only country to resume school.  No, they will change the dates again and say, another 2 weeks, another 2 weeks, another 2 weeks, and like I said, let's just scrap the whole year.    Teach everyone online.     I (meaning all people) hate being treated as if we all have the virus and therefore all these rules must befall upon us like we are prisoners living in some dystopian police state hyper surveillance society...... maybe I'm old school but don't be afraid, live life, there are always risks no matter what, FREEDOM!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:08:05 am by fruitloops »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2020, 10:19:17 am »
I agree. Will new cases completely stop by September even? I doubt it. Should we close schools until there's no new cases at all then? That could be 6 months or 2 years. 

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2020, 10:34:58 am »
Yeah even though I think schools will open on the 6th, I can't see how there won't be a huge increase in cases.  Like fruitloops says, what do you do when you find out that a student who has been at school for a week or two tests positive for the virus?

• ashwalton
  • Adventurer

• September 09, 2016, 09:25:25 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
    more
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2020, 12:35:20 pm »
My school (hagwon in Seoul) has told us that many schools are planning on switching to online classes starting April 6. I don't know if they meant just hagwons or public as well. They have also given us a list of rules that the government says we have to follow starting now, such as: face masks worn at all times, teacher temp. checked twice a day and recorded, hand sanitizer  in every  room, students have to be 1m from each other and teachers at all times even when walking in halls or coming and going, and windows must be opened and room aired out twice a day. They say because of these rules, many schools will switch to online.