Read 19764 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Official Announcements RE Delayed Semester Schedules
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2020, 12:30:29 pm »
I've taught mostly in Seoul, and Daegu, middle schools. And if an English 'lab' was absent, I was going into the homerooms. Where do you think the other English teachers in a middle/high school would teach? It's not like they have 5 separate English rooms for each English teacher. As for the few years I did in an elementary, there was no specialized English teacher, so I had to go into all the Elementary homerooms too.

Before they ramped up NET hiring pre-2010-ish virtually no school had English 'lab'. Heck, most schools didn't even have science labs, probably the only specialized room was for Home Ec. You staying in your own specialized room is a pretty recent development, like the last 10 years if your school decided to 'convert' a room into an English 'lab'.

And there you have it.  As far as public schools go the thread participants here are people who have come into the schools post 2000 and most of them do not move from class to class.  We are talking about the NETS here so where the Korean teachers go when the English class is in use is not relevant.  Most NETS do not move from class to class carrying a laptop. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:19 pm »
I wish I was like most NETs, then, haha. I have to go to homeroom classrooms for each of my classes at both of my middle schools, laptop in hand. That's twenty different classrooms a week, and it definitely makes me miss the days when I taught elementary and got to stay in the English lab all day.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2020, 12:44:15 pm »
And there you have it.  As far as public schools go the thread participants here are people who have come into the schools post 2000 and most of them do not move from class to class.  We are talking about the NETS here so where the Korean teachers go when the English class is in use is not relevant.  Most NETS do not move from class to class carrying a laptop. 

They do in Middle Schools. There is one English room. With multiple English classes going on at the same time across 3 grades.

My school has 15 classes, 3 grades. 45 classes total. 1500 students. There are at times 9-10 english classes going on. We all going to go into the ONE English room are we?

I presume the same applies to Public High Schools. Teachers carry laptops to classrooms (normally there is one student per class who has this job) This is common/the norm.

I arrived in 2016 as did many of my friends with the same working situation. Reason given is behaviour of the students is better if they stay in the same room.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:47:02 pm by Colburnnn »
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2020, 12:57:02 pm »
Another thing to think about, especially with regards to countryside schools and definitely ones I taught in here is with the dwindling birth rate and people moving away from the countryside.  Also how schools built in the 50s and 60s that would have had a load of students back then have no where near that number now.  I remember one of my middle schools I taught at for 6 years from 2007-2013, went from 100 students down to 40 in that time.  So naturally, as the numbers went down they got budgets to develop the classrooms, so I got an English room in 2009, I think it was. 

So now all those extra empty classrooms can be turned into 'Counselling Rooms'  'English Rooms'  'Music Practice Rooms'  'Special Education Classrooms' etc.   I think the drive to convert classrooms into English rooms was, like pkjh said, around the 2MB, 2009/2010 time.  Before that I was always sat in the teachers' room and then went to the classroom to teach.  Waste of money doing these classrooms?  Maybe.  I think Korean education is flush with cash, if I'm honest.  Always money to be spent on something.  Not always wisely, just spent on something.  The cooking room at that middle school looked like had never been updated, I opened a drawer once and there a rat there just looking at me before it ran off.  Most of the cooking rooms have been updated over the last few years. 

« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »
They do in Middle Schools. There is one English room. With multiple English classes going on at the same time across 3 grades.

My school has 15 classes, 3 grades. 45 classes total. 1500 students. There are at times 9-10 english classes going on. We all going to go into the ONE English room are we?

I presume the same applies to Public High Schools. Teachers carry laptops to classrooms (normally there is one student per class who has this job) This is common/the norm.

I arrived in 2016 as did many of my friends with the same working situation. Reason given is behaviour of the students is better if they stay in the same room.

My middle school is similar. We have two many English classes going on at the same time for them all to be using the English room. At the beginning of the school year, the teachers of the English department have a meeting to decide who will be in charge of the "English Zone" - meaning keeping up maintenance, repairs and cleaning, etc - and that person is the one who gets to use it for their classes, while the other teachers go to the homerooms. If my classes are with the teacher in charge of the room, then those classes are in the English Zone and if she doesn't have classes opposite my time schedule, then I also get to use the English Zone - otherwise the rest of the time I go to the student's homeroom classes.

Last week, the co-teacher in charge of the English room and I spoke and we decided that, when the students come back next week, all of their classes will be in their homeroom since the rooms have all been properly sanitized and prepped for social distancing and whatnot - so nobody's using the English Zone this semester.

Luckily I don't need a laptop with me, as all homerooms have their own computers.

« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »
My middle school is similar. We have two many English classes going on at the same time for them all to be using the English room. At the beginning of the school year, the teachers of the English department have a meeting to decide who will be in charge of the "English Zone" - meaning keeping up maintenance, repairs and cleaning, etc - and that person is the one who gets to use it for their classes, while the other teachers go to the homerooms. If my classes are with the teacher in charge of the room, then those classes are in the English Zone and if she doesn't have classes opposite my time schedule, then I also get to use the English Zone - otherwise the rest of the time I go to the student's homeroom classes.

Last week, the co-teacher in charge of the English room and I spoke and we decided that, when the students come back next week, all of their classes will be in their homeroom since the rooms have all been properly sanitized and prepped for social distancing and whatnot - so nobody's using the English Zone this semester.

Luckily I don't need a laptop with me, as all homerooms have their own computers.

I've preferred the schools where I've had a laptop to take to class. I find they are maintained better than any of the computers in homerooms at schools I've been in. With a laptop I know all the materials are going to work. That is not always the case with computers in homerooms.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2020, 02:41:49 pm »
Most of the NETs I know have to move class to class either most, or sometimes. I don't know many NETs that have the English room all to themselves. Usually it's some K-teacher that commandeers the English room. I wish was assigned my own special room, it would be sooo comfy having my own room without other Korean teachers chattering in the room. I wonder if I could set up a fridge, and microwave in there too...

« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2020, 03:06:02 pm »
I've preferred the schools where I've had a laptop to take to class. I find they are maintained better than any of the computers in homerooms at schools I've been in. With a laptop I know all the materials are going to work. That is not always the case with computers in homerooms.

Yeah, I had a few issues the first couple of weeks when I started working here with the homeroom computers, but I caught on quickly enough and since we got the new computers last year, I've been fortunate enough to not any problems.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2020, 05:00:55 pm »
yooooooooooo did anyone see this?

well, i'm glad this time they didn't leave things until the very last minu- oh wait

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200529002852315?section=national/politics

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2020, 09:48:49 am »

You get a laptop to take to class?  I've never seen or heard of this before.  Heck I have to provide my own USB when I go from classroom to classroom.  Though depending on the school , I may sometimes get an English room where they come to me.  Rare though.  Elementary more so share with a K teacher.  When I did Middle School one of the K teachers hogged the English room.  I had to drag my sorry USB from class to class.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2020, 09:55:08 am »
You get a laptop to take to class?  I've never seen or heard of this before.  Heck I have to provide my own USB when I go from classroom to classroom.  Though depending on the school , I may sometimes get an English room where they come to me.  Rare though.  Elementary more so share with a K teacher.  When I did Middle School one of the K teachers hogged the English room.  I had to drag my sorry USB from class to class.

Yep, school provide every teacher a laptop. Some good, some shite. Mine? A dumpster fire, on the first day I decided it's impossible to work with, so I just use my macbook.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.