Read 2418 times

Re: Indian citizens now eligible for EPIK
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:26:23 pm »
Also, why the F are South Africans listed last? It's like, "Okay, we better list these countries in alphabetical order so as not to offend anyone. Except South Africa. Yeah, let's put them at the end."

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:30:08 pm »
Very few South Africans are native English speakers.  Not the first language / mother tongue for most.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___

According to Statistics South Africa, only 8.4% of South African households speak English – that’s just 4.7 million people in a country of 56 million. English is only the sixth-most common home language in the country, after Zulu (24.7%), Xhosa (15.6%), Afrikaans (12.1%), Sepedi (9.8%), and Setswana (8.9%).

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:06 pm »
Very few South Africans are native English speakers.  Not the first language / mother tongue for most.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___

According to Statistics South Africa, only 8.4% of South African households speak English – that’s just 4.7 million people in a country of 56 million. English is only the sixth-most common home language in the country, after Zulu (24.7%), Xhosa (15.6%), Afrikaans (12.1%), Sepedi (9.8%), and Setswana (8.9%).
And that somehow justifies us as an afterthought?

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:15 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RaBxH_MKQI

The Indian 'nod' is going to mess with the Korean KT mind!  :laugh:

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 02:54:09 pm »
South African NETs are less good at speaking English overall. (Some are good, but that country has the most deficiencies among the seven NET countries.) That’s the way Koreans see it at least.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 03:09:14 pm »
South African NETs are less good at speaking English overall. (Some are good, but that country has the most deficiencies among the seven NET countries.) That’s the way Koreans see it at least.

What a load of horse manure. In Korea, China and Taiwan I have been told that the SA accent is the easiest to understand. Ever heard a heavy Irish or Scottish accent? Can't understand a word they are saying.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 03:15:02 pm »
Ever heard a heavy Irish or Scottish accent? Can't understand a word they are saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dEKQL0I4LU&t=70s

Showed this to a few American friends, they needed me to translate  :laugh:
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »
And that somehow justifies us as an afterthought?

It should justify S. Africans as being ineligible to teach in Korea. 

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 03:29:29 pm »
SA teachers that come over here are more likely to be qualified teachers in their home country before coming here.

They come here because of the poor pay SA teachers receive in SA.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:45:34 pm »
They’ve been trying to incorporate Indian teachers into EPIK since at least 2010. The requirements are much more stringent (e.g. candidates from India must be licensed teachers), and a few managed to come over and work in rural schools...but it never really took off as parents wanted “authentic” NETs.-

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 05:50:57 pm »

Lic... I cannot believe a supposedly educated person can make such a ignorant and sweeping statement. I have taught in all those countries I have mentioned and EVERY South African I have met spoke perfect English.

There are so many South Africans here in Taiwan of all races and they all speak perfect English. One lady in my township is a beautiful Zulu lady from Kwa-Zulu Natal and she speaks with the most perfect British accent. There are plenty of what we call Coloured folk here and their English is impeccable .

I don't know why you are making such stupid statements which I am sure are purely anecdotal . There may be a couple that have an accent that you have difficulty with but the vast majority don't. This is the case with all the native speaking countries.  Texas drawl, Irish and Scottish accent, people from Liverpool, Welsh etc etc can be difficult to understand so get your facts straight and stop bashing Saffers. You have no clue what you are talking about.

As has been pointed out, many come to Asia as qualified and experienced teachers. I don't know your nationality but perhaps you should stick to topics you know something about. Clearly you know nothing about this one.

Added later... read some of your other posts and I gather you are American. Without being rude, if anyone should be banned from teaching in Asia it should be those who murder the English Language, using pronunciation like 'bad' instead of bed, 'Gud' instead of God, 'dask' instead of desk.  I spend half my life correcting my students pronunciation because they have been taught by Non-Saffers

To add to the pronunciation thing, my all time favorite.... Yeah rate instead of Yeah right.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:14:34 am by confusedsafferinkorea »

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 05:58:54 pm »
Actually no nationality should be disqualified from teaching English as long as they can prove their English is good enough (IELTS 8+) and they have some kind of proper qualification which includes classroom observation. 

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 06:01:34 pm »

Lic... I cannot believe a supposedly educated person can make such a ignorant and sweeping statement. I have taught in all those countries I have mentioned and EVERY South African I have met spoke perfect English.

There are so many South Africans here in Taiwan of all races and they all speak perfect English. One lady in my township is a beautiful Zulu lady from Kwa-Zulu Natal and she speaks with the most perfect British accent. There are plenty of what we call Coloured folk here and their English is impeccable .

I don't know why you are making such stupid statements which I am sure are purely anecdotal . There may be a couple that have an accent that you have difficulty with but the vast majority don't. This is the case with all the native speaking countries.  Texas drawl, Irish and Scottish accent, people from Liverpool, Welsh etc etc can be difficult to understand so get your facts straight and stop bashing Saffers. You have no clue what you are talking about.

As has been pointed out, many come to Asia as qualified and experienced teachers. I don't know your nationality but perhaps you should stick to topics you know something about. Clearly you know nothing about this one.

Some Welsh people actually speak English as a second language, though I doubt EPIK would be aware of that.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 06:01:59 pm »
Actually no nationality should be disqualified from teaching English as long as they can prove their English is good enough (IELTS 8+) and they have some kind of proper qualification which includes classroom observation. 

Absolutely.

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 06:19:30 pm »
Letting South Africans teach doesn't make sense though when the vast majority of them are not native English speakers. NET stands for Native English Teacher or whatever. Why let people from NZ/AUS/Canada/UK/Ireland/US teach just because they're native speakers when any old English student will do? Why not let people in from other countries like SA where English education is widespread but people speak other languages at home? Namibia, Singapore, Pakistan, Hong Kong, the Phillipines etc. It's clear that they don't want the "wrong" kind of English teacher. South Korea's rules about what is a NET are pretty discriminatory, but it's also clear that they want to hire desperate South Africans. In any case it's pretty clear that the days of the E-2 NET are in decline. Might as well go back home and struggle to pay the rent, especially when Korea starts replacing you with 3rd world teachers.

In any case 99% of the Saffers I met in Korea were white people who just wanted to complain about black people. It's like hanging out with people from 1950 who don't realize that the rest of the Western world doesn't talk like that anymore. Not really sure what compels South Korea to import a bunch of white supremacists in the first place.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 06:43:51 pm »
In any case 99% of the Saffers I met in Korea were white people who just wanted to complain about black people. It's like hanging out with people from 1950 who don't realize that the rest of the Western world doesn't talk like that anymore. Not really sure what compels South Korea to import a bunch of white supremacists in the first place.

How many did you meet? What % of Saffers in Asia is that?  I call b/s on that. Really these generalizations are so stupid.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 06:45:43 pm »
Today must be 'National bash a Saffer day'  Unbelievable and ignorant.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 07:06:37 pm »
You have white native English-speaking South Africans (about 40% of white South Africans), and then you have non-native Afrikaans-speaking South Africans (the ones with the strong accents and who say things like 'stuffs' instead of 'stuff'). A fair amount of Indian South Africans will have English as a native tongue as well. Incredibly rare for a black South African to have English as their mother tongue.

One advantage is that every South African has at least learned another language. Boggles my mind that most language 'teachers' in Asia have never learned another language to fluency themselves.

On the other hand, teaching incorrect English is problematic. I've met Quebecois with abysmal English, but this is why Korea checks if the high school and uni education was in English (as far as I know).

At the end of the day, American, Canadian, South African - whatever - are mostly sucking at their jobs if the average Korean's English is anything to go by, so it doesn't really matter. May as well hire a wet brick to stand up there in front of the class and teach.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 07:17:29 pm »
I spend half my life correcting my students pronunciation because they have been taught by Non-Saffers

ah yes... my students always tell me how they love the south african accent  :laugh: it's the one they hear in all the movies they love  :laugh: it's the only correct one, too  :laugh: you're an absolute clown  :laugh: