Read 317 times

Being a licensed teacher in Korea
« on: March 09, 2020, 10:28:14 am »
Any advantages to this in Korea? Are international schools a thing here?

I've met a few people with teaching licenses/PGCE that work regular EPIK jobs, so I'm assuming there's no practical benefit.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Being a licensed teacher in Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:04 am »
There are lots of them, but in addition to a license, they usually want several years of post-license experience.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:48:10 pm »

I've met a few people with teaching licenses/PGCE that work regular EPIK jobs, so I'm assuming there's no practical benefit.

In the process of getting my PGCE and I plan to leave Korea soon after I get it. What I'm learning is certainly making me a better teacher, even if bureaucracy and a broken education system make it difficult to effectively utilise proper pedagogical approaches.
Still, it helps with classroom management, thus making the job less frustrating.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 02:45:10 pm »
There are less than 20 proper international schools in Korea.

Most of them require you to be a certified teacher for accreditation purposes, but in reality many are only concerned about your ability to qualify for the relevant visa (E7)...the reason I say this is many of these same schools have non-licensed teachers on F-visas working for them, a bunch of who got the job via word of mouth. The pay at these schools is competitive with similar schools worldwide.

There are plenty of private schools that have partial accreditation and even more that arenít accredited...these are the ones that will desire for certified teachers but will settle for anyone competent enough in the field they are looking for...also note these are the ones that will have you teach other subjects on an E-2 visa on an EPIK pay scale - dangerous but could be worth it in terms of adding experience to your CV.

Your PGCE would get you into most proper international schools around the world. The korean scene is very small and competitive. Might take you a while to get a foot in the door after getting certified.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 03:14:46 pm »
Your PGCE
All hypothetical at this stage :laugh:

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:39:48 pm »

If you are at real international school, you would get paid well.  A fake one or non prestigious one, you will make the same as an esl teacher.