Read 765 times

• CookieCat
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2014, 09:55:37 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
Public School Vacation Days/Covid19
« on: March 09, 2020, 08:18:29 am »
I am at a public school in Gyeongnam (GOE) and currently deskwarming while school is cancelled due to Covid19. However, my co-teacher has been reminding me that summer vacation will be shortened and seems to be pushing me to use all of my remaining vacations now instead of waiting until the summer. Are other public school teachers having the same experience?

I understand that this is a special situation, but I don't really see using my vacation days to basically quarantine myself at home as a real vacation. Also, will summer vacation really be totally non-existent? I usually have two camps (two schools), so even normally there isn't a lot of time to use my vacation in the summer. But, I think it makes more sense to cancel camp rather than expect me to have no vacation at all.

I am just looking to hear about other teachers' experiences and wondering if most teachers are going to use all of their vacation days now or wait until later. Any information at all from any of the MOEs/POEs?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Public School Vacation Days/Covid19
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:00 am »
I would refuse to use my vacation days. If your co-teacher is strongly pushing you to use them, tell them you will travel abroad (I realize this isn't really possible due to quarantines etc, but the threat may work).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:39:55 am »
This is what my education office co-ordinator said: Remind your school that if you use vacation time for your quarantine, that you are allowed to travel for it, and say you will travel to a nearby country (like Japan) and will have to do a mandatory 14 quarantine at home upon returning to Korea. Try to negotiate work from home instead.
As for the summer vacation thing, if it is shortened to the point where there isn't enough time to do camp + vacation, your vacation must come first, as the schools are contractually obligated to let you use your vacation time, and there is no carry overs to a new contract and no payouts for unused vacation time. So the school will have to let you use vacation time during the school year, or shorten / not have camps to let you have your vacation.

I'm in a different region than you though.

EDIT: I'm an August starter, and as I can't assume your start date, I assumed you'd lose any vacation time left over if it wasn't all used in summer. However, if you are a March start, anything you don't use in summer can be used in winter, as contracts no longer specify days per summer/winter vacation.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:46:31 am by Kayos »

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:14:21 am »
I'm not sure about other POEs but in Busan our contract still specifies ten days for Summer, ten days for Winter which they're quite strict on.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:22:07 am »
I'm not sure about other POEs but in Busan our contract still specifies ten days for Summer, ten days for Winter which they're quite strict on.

For most of the country, it's 26 working days for the year - unless you don't work in a public school.
We can choose how to split them, and they don't include holidays and weekends :D
I think it's most of the country now anyway.

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 10:50:12 am »
For those contracts ending on 25th August, the days MUST be taken before that date. I have 12 left and will be travelling if I am forced to use them in the next few weeks. Up to the school what they would prefer, travelling now and 2 extra weeks of Q, OR allow time off during the school semester.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 10:58:43 am »
For those contracts ending on 25th August, the days MUST be taken before that date. I have 12 left and will be travelling if I am forced to use them in the next few weeks. Up to the school what they would prefer, travelling now and 2 extra weeks of Q, OR allow time off during the school semester.

Do your research before you go, many countries are banning travelers from Korea (regardless of nationality).

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:42:19 am »
Guam for a few days, nowhere special. Just refuse to use vacation days sat inside.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 08:09:02 am »
If you are with GEO or EPIK write your HR department and ask them if you are covered by Korean Employment Insurance.
If you are then the time then 70% of the wages you loose while Employer is shut down will be covered by the Korean Employment Insurance (I think the Ko Gov announced an increased it to 75% recently but still needs to be implemented) and then your lost income will be somewhat covered.

Koreans must be enrolled by their Employers by Law, Foreigners enrollment is optional and determined by the Employer.

Using your Annual Leave ( 1 day is accrued per month until month 10, then it jumps to 15 days and on  the last day of your contract it jumps to 26) is a very important option for you if you are not covered by Employment Insurance.  If the Ko Gov has ordered the shutdown (i.e. Public Schools) the Employer does not have to pay the Shutdown Allowance as Stipulated in the Labor Standards Act, if the Ko Gov has ordered the business to close then the Employees are able to  get relief from the Employment Insurance program if they are enrolled in the program.

Many people who are not enrolled into the Employment Insurance Program (Foreign Language Instructors / Teachers etc) are starting to "starve".

If you agree to use your Annual Leave the Employer will ask you to sign something in writing.
BEFORE YOU SIGN:
1) ask in writing if you are registered with the Employment Insurance Program, if you are then you already are entitled to shutdown allowances with any Ko Gov shutdown that is ordered.
2) if you are then you know that you do not need to use your annual leave to eat and you do not need to use your annual leave allowance
3) if you are not enrolled, then you know that at this time (Ko Gov announced more money would be put into the insurance program but it has not announced --explicitly stated--,  that it would be extended to uninsured foreign workers) there is no obligation for the Employer to pay your wages if they are following the shutdown order by the Ko Gov

The application for the Shutdown Allowance payment from the Korean Employment Insurance program it submitted by your Employer, the office that deals with it is swamped and there (as of a week ago) over 1300 application in the one week after the Ko Gov announced its first shutdown "Advisory".

Cheers

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 10:46:36 am »
Are there any public school teachers on the standard EPIK contract not getting paid? I was under the impression public school teachers are receiving full pay.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 12:28:11 pm »
If you are with GEO or EPIK write your HR department and ask them if you are covered by Korean Employment Insurance.
If you are then the time then 70% of the wages you loose while Employer is shut down will be covered by the Korean Employment Insurance (I think the Ko Gov announced an increased it to 75% recently but still needs to be implemented) and then your lost income will be somewhat covered.

Koreans must be enrolled by their Employers by Law, Foreigners enrollment is optional and determined by the Employer.

Using your Annual Leave ( 1 day is accrued per month until month 10, then it jumps to 15 days and on  the last day of your contract it jumps to 26) is a very important option for you if you are not covered by Employment Insurance.  If the Ko Gov has ordered the shutdown (i.e. Public Schools) the Employer does not have to pay the Shutdown Allowance as Stipulated in the Labor Standards Act, if the Ko Gov has ordered the business to close then the Employees are able to  get relief from the Employment Insurance program if they are enrolled in the program.

Many people who are not enrolled into the Employment Insurance Program (Foreign Language Instructors / Teachers etc) are starting to "starve".

If you agree to use your Annual Leave the Employer will ask you to sign something in writing.
BEFORE YOU SIGN:
1) ask in writing if you are registered with the Employment Insurance Program, if you are then you already are entitled to shutdown allowances with any Ko Gov shutdown that is ordered.
2) if you are then you know that you do not need to use your annual leave to eat and you do not need to use your annual leave allowance
3) if you are not enrolled, then you know that at this time (Ko Gov announced more money would be put into the insurance program but it has not announced --explicitly stated--,  that it would be extended to uninsured foreign workers) there is no obligation for the Employer to pay your wages if they are following the shutdown order by the Ko Gov

The application for the Shutdown Allowance payment from the Korean Employment Insurance program it submitted by your Employer, the office that deals with it is swamped and there (as of a week ago) over 1300 application in the one week after the Ko Gov announced its first shutdown "Advisory".

Cheers

If the principal approves work from home, then you sign a special form and it doesn't count as vacation.  But you really should be home.  You will be paid.  In my case I have to report to a school one day a week just like the Korean teachers.  Education office rule during this time.  Some friends get the same treatment as me.  Some friends, their schools tel them they must come in and desk warm, but so are the Korean teachers at their schools.  Principal has all the decision here.  They may apply to use vacation days in those cases.  In my case I don't have to.  But it is not a vacation and if I got caught travelling, I could get in trouble.