Read 4278 times

Could the Entire Year be Lost?
« on: March 07, 2020, 09:22:53 pm »
I'm really frustrated over this situation.  Yes, I know we need to be serious and try to stop the spread of this virus, but let's face the reality, people.  This virus isn't going to just disappear in a month.  In fact, cases will continue to be ongoing for 1 year or more GUARANTEED.  There will always be some cases floating around here and there and that means there will ALWAYS be the danger or potential for another outbreak.

This means that even if there is only 1 case in the country, schools must be locked down blah blah blah.  If we cancelled 1 month of school over just a few hundred cases, then I don't see how we are going back while there are still going to be a few thousand ongoing cases.   Think about it.  How in their right mind are they going to say, "well we needed to shut down schools because of a couple hundred cases" to saying, "we can re-open schools even though there are 20X more cases than before" LOL.

Guys, I feel like this entire year is going to be a wash.  The only way it won't be is if people begin to NORMALIZE the situation.  That is that the reality is your chance of getting it right now is about 0.00014%.   It's very low.  99.99986% of the people you encounter daily are healthy and uninfected and you're just going to have to take the risk and chance that 99.99986% won't be good enough lol.

Also, why do they shut down schools but don't shut down movie theaters, malls, public gathering places, subways/trains, etc.   I feel like we're just wasting a year away out of mostly paranoia and overreaction.   Ask yourself this question, how many of you actually know someone directly who has the virus?   Nobody in my school, nor my city has it.   Why are we not teaching or resuming the year.  I understand about being extra cautious and taking preventative measures, but schools aren't the culprit.  If you want to shut things down, you better shut down those aforementioned places.   Oh the irony that kids can't go to school because of the fear of spreading the virus from people at least who you know....vs kids going outside in the city loitering and playing around with all their free time that they have now.  How is that not MORE dangerous being out in the city, riding the bus, subway, going to shops, malls, even restaurants crossing paths with people you DONT KNOW?  It's far more dangerous and risky to be doing that than going to school being surrounded by people you do know.   Schools are a much more CLOSED ENVIRONMENT and a closed system, so it is less likely to be a hotbed...plus, anyone who has a cold could be asked to just stay home, just in case, but why ruin it for the 99% others who are healthy, have nothing to do, and just let this year just waste away over fears and panic.

When is life ever not risky?  It always is.  Anything can happen to you at anytime, so nvm just coronavirus, but we expose ourselves to thousands of other risks daily that we may not think about or realize. 

Masks don't even make sense if your eyes are exposed and if you aren't wearing gloves, too.  This "masks" thing is overhyped and overrated because you get it also from touching.  People should be wearing gloves and eye wear,too then.   As if a mask is going to put an end to the virus?  If the workers and handlers of COVID cases are decked out in full head to toe hazmat suits and still getting sick, what is  a mask going to do?   

Lastly, this isn't like a deadly virus that will kill everything in its path.  People treat it like it is.  If you are a normal person who catches a cold or a flu each season, you'll recover from this the same.

The common flu or influenza in the US alone this season has infected 32 million Americans causing 300,000 hospitalizations, and 18,000 deaths (CDC).    HELLO PEOPLE.   The common flu is far more infectious right now and far more deadly than coronavirus.

The only difference really is that that the flu is known and covid-19 is new so it's relatively unknown but the stats speak for itself. 

If people are afraid of coronavirus, they should have been afraid of the seasonal influenza with much more panic and wear masks etc., because it's far more deadly and infects far more people.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Could the Entire Year be Lost?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:27:38 pm »
i've noticed that people are beginning to go out again as usual. the spots in my neighbourhood that were deserted the past 2 weeks were all packed this weekend. i feel people are beginning to accept it and get on with their lives. just what i've noticed though. thoughts?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 10:02:58 pm »
i've noticed that people are beginning to go out again as usual. the spots in my neighbourhood that were deserted the past 2 weeks were all packed this weekend. i feel people are beginning to accept it and get on with their lives. just what i've noticed though. thoughts?

Well...new applicants will be surprised when they are told that their "10 days of vacation" may not be as told (as if it ever is) due to having to make up for lost classes.....

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:57:26 pm »
pretty sure i'll never be able to comfortably retire
RIP my bank account
gonna have to start begging in the streets if it's delayed any longer
How about teaching online? Not just Korean kids, but Chinese kids, too. There's a market for that. Doesn't pay all that well from what I've heard, but it's better than nothing.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 11:01:58 pm »
Schools closing is only to alleviate pressure on hospitals, not to 'stop' the  virus.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 11:12:53 pm »
How does that alleviate pressure on hospitals?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 11:31:50 pm »
How about teaching online? Not just Korean kids, but Chinese kids, too. There's a market for that. Doesn't pay all that well from what I've heard, but it's better than nothing.
Because I was only expecting a week's closure (which was still last-minute), then it turned into 2 weeks.. then it turned into the best part of a month. Not like I could plan it out. If I had known it would be so long from the beginning..

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 11:34:17 pm »
As was the case during the Spanish flu, through closing schools the infection rate was spread out over a longer period of time so hospitals could still provide care to most. The fear is a huge spike in which hospitals would become overrun.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 11:50:58 pm »
Not like I could plan it out.

Well who knows how long this will last... so might be wise to start searching for online work now.

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 12:54:08 am »
Trump says the virus will die off in warmer weather. This could all be over very soon. Spring is right around the corner.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 12:55:56 am »
incumbo studiis

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 02:15:26 am »
The common flu or influenza in the US alone this season has infected 32 million Americans causing 300,000 hospitalizations, and 18,000 deaths (CDC).    HELLO PEOPLE.   The common flu is far more infectious right now and far more deadly than coronavirus.

The only difference really is that that the flu is known and covid-19 is new so it's relatively unknown but the stats speak for itself. 

If people are afraid of coronavirus, they should have been afraid of the seasonal influenza with much more panic and wear masks etc., because it's far more deadly and infects far more people.

For someone who says the stats speak for themselves it would help if you were correct about them. WHO is reporting a 3.4% case fatality rate, influenza is about 0.1%, and the Spanish influenza of 1918 was about 2.5%. Curious how you find the common flu to be far more deadly than coronavirus.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 02:17:05 am by Orkblut »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 03:51:28 am »
China is opening schools. SK will get a handle on things and schools will open soon enough.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 04:02:18 am »
Korean public schools are the pinnacle of hygiene, why would you worry about infections there of all places?
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 04:53:31 am »
For someone who says the stats speak for themselves it would help if you were correct about them. WHO is reporting a 3.4% case fatality rate, influenza is about 0.1%, and the Spanish influenza of 1918 was about 2.5%. Curious how you find the common flu to be far more deadly than coronavirus.

It's a matter of rate versus count. Depending on what you'd like to prove, you could say covid has a higher CFR, but influenza (A or B, not sure this year's breakdown) has infected more people, allowing the death count to be larger by virtue of it the number of people infected.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.
-AP

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 05:36:54 am »
This coronovirus and influenza...

Which is deadlier, a plane crash or a car crash?

There is a higher fatality rate with plane crashes, but they happen so much less frequently that flying is called the "safe" way to travel.

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 08:10:05 am »
The fatality rate for young people is very low.

"But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39."
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 08:51:11 am »
How does that alleviate pressure on hospitals?
Spacing out infections over time rather than having them all come crashing in at once means that the hospitals won't be swamped.
With an epidemic like this, that's really what they're gunning for, considering that containment is now impossible.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 11:17:28 am »
Want to avoid getting sick from the virus?

Be healthy to keep your immune system strong.

(Don't eat crap food.)

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-outbreak-may-have-unleashed-panic-buying-of-hostess-twinkies-and-ding-dongs-210034011.html

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 11:59:43 am »
Want to avoid getting sick from the virus?

Be healthy to keep your immune system strong.

(Don't eat crap food.)

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-outbreak-may-have-unleashed-panic-buying-of-hostess-twinkies-and-ding-dongs-210034011.html
please. stop. it.