Read 1849 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Old songs you sometimes listen to that would be problematic today.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 02:46:30 am »
Hit me "Baby one more time" by Britney Spears THANKFULLY may never be played again. Gawd how overplayed that was.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 04:43:40 am »
“Every breath you take”

Call the police!

Oh.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 06:56:31 am »
Hit me "Baby one more time" by Britney Spears THANKFULLY may never be played again. Gawd how overplayed that was.

Was that really a song about BDSM?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 06:58:36 am »
Morrissey's 'Bengali in Platforms' (1988) could be seen as an argument for diversity over integration (though judging from his later actions, maybe not) but a lot of people would be troubled by lines like 'Life is hard enough when you belong here.'

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 08:39:58 am »
Morrissey's 'Bengali in Platforms' (1988) could be seen as an argument for diversity over integration (though judging from his later actions, maybe not) but a lot of people would be troubled by lines like 'Life is hard enough when you belong here.'

Yeah I was thinking the exact same song but didn't want to be outed as a Morrissey fan.  But seeing as you started it... :wink:

National Front Disco - "England for the English".  I hate how this song serves as a gotcha for Morrissey in light of his recent political opinions.  Same as Bengali in Platforms really.  People throw him under the bus without understanding the song or the meaning behind the lyrics.  "Life is hard enough when you belong here" is so poignant in its message.  His song Asian Rut, same thing.

His critcis will conveniently overlook other lyrics like this for example:

America is Not the World - "But where the president is never black, female or gay, And until that day, You've got nothing to say to me"

Morrissey is our greatest living lyricist and it's really sad to see what's happened to him recently.

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 08:43:35 am »
“Every breath you take”

Call the police!

Oh.

Was thinking about the stalker song. 

I take pride in the fact that I'm blessed with fingers long enough to play the arpeggios on this bastard. Guitarists call this one
 "Every Wrist You Break"

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 09:25:19 am »
Yeah I was thinking the exact same song but didn't want to be outed as a Morrissey fan.  But seeing as you started it... :wink:

National Front Disco - "England for the English".  I hate how this song serves as a gotcha for Morrissey in light of his recent political opinions.  Same as Bengali in Platforms really.  People throw him under the bus without understanding the song or the meaning behind the lyrics.  "Life is hard enough when you belong here" is so poignant in its message.  His song Asian Rut, same thing.

His critcis will conveniently overlook other lyrics like this for example:

America is Not the World - "But where the president is never black, female or gay, And until that day, You've got nothing to say to me"

Morrissey is our greatest living lyricist and it's really sad to see what's happened to him recently.

What's your take on "November spawned a monster'? Another one where superfically the lyrics seem pretty shocking. However the final line seems to say that the child doing something for herself is more important than other people's feelings of revulsion towards her.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:30:03 am by stoat »

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 11:45:55 am »
What's your take on "November spawned a monster'? Another one where superfically the lyrics seem pretty shocking. However the final line seems to say that the child doing something for herself is more important than other people's feelings of revulsion towards her.

Yeah that's another one that came to mind.  I agree with your take and those lyrics are brilliant. Morrissey is really good at doing that; championing the anti-hero.  Same thing with 'Mute Witness'.  Such compassion for the girl and dignity for the disabled in both of those songs.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 12:11:42 pm »
Not many song writers would choose to deal with the subject of disabled people's sex lives

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 07:44:53 am »
People are stupid.  Let songs from history be played.  Though I think the old GNR song "one in a million" doesn't get too much air play anymore.