Read 928 times

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
Schools to remain closed in South Korea

Laura Bicker

BBC News, Seoul

Pupils will have to stay at home until at least 23 March.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-51701043 (Posted at 16:06) on this BBC news time line <.

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
Confirmed.

As I predicted, this was going to be at least a month delay of the school year.  As the cases keep surging, I don't see how they can ever start the school year if the numbers keep going up. 

This may very well shut down half the year or even the entire year.  If they do miraculously resume school, they will do so while there are still thousands of cases in the country.....think about that.  It's not like by March 23rd, there will be 0 cases. 

But thinking even bigger, how does this affect people who run hagwons?  No business for a month? (For teachers, we still get paid to just come and deskwarm but not those hagwons). Many people will go under.  Small businesses, restaurants, and even for the larger businesses like movie theaters and sporting events....will they cancel an entire season of major league sports? 

Online industries will be booming as more people will be subscribing to netflix (etc) and shopping online will see a boom.  But most other industries will struggle and the economic fallout from this pesky little virus might create the world's greatest economic catastrophe.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
Korean Uni's have just been instructed to do 'online classes' for 'around 2 weeks',' taking them up to around 30th March (from their already delayed 16th March)  start date.....

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
lucky  >:(... I wish I had the month off like that!
incumbo studiis

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
yes, I think many countries will develop an online system where in cases such as these, educational programs can be taught over the internet.

I would not be surprised if NETs will have this in their clause sometime next contract or after.  Actually, I think it's a great idea.  Why sit at school for a month deskwarming and kids stay at home playing games, watching youtube, or tiktok when we could easily have an online class set up and have students complete some simple tasks, homework, assignments, or watch online lessons made by the teachers/schools?

Some of us had to do this Phone Call Program in Gyeonggi do where we call individual students and talk to them for 10 minutes each.   This is the time for a program like that to be used.  Why not.  Seems like a such a  waste for students and teachers to just sit around like this.   It's like we don't even know the internet exists LOL.

Meanwhile, kids are being educated (good or bad) 24/7 by glueing their eyes to their smartphones watching youtube videos or creating content on tiktok LOL.   The capitalist world knows this, the educational world still doesn't know the internet exists.