Read 1641 times

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Are all of these Covid-19 precautions worth it?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 10:56:58 am »
Spoiler alert! It hasn’t.

Spitting their lungs out, puking in the middle of the street, coughing on people, sneezing without covering up, putting dirty utensils in shared food, cleaning with dirty equipment and generally being rank are parts of being Korean.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:07:58 am by Colburnnn »

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 11:06:09 am »
if I don't work so I'm actually hoping I catch it and get it over with.

But you can catch it more than once...........

• Wlvers
  • Newgookin

• February 19, 2020, 10:18:30 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 11:08:00 am »
There is justifiable worry but largely the panic is coming from its novelty and the rate at which it has spread. The precautions being taken don't hurt, though.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 02:59:50 pm »
The precautions being taken don't hurt, though.

Talking of precautions, its almost impossible to avoid body contact with Koreans.

If you do not move out of their way they will walk into you.

Even if you do move out of their way, they still adjust their trajectory to veer into your path like a heat-seeking missile.

The amount of bumping, prodding, shoving, brushing up against and general touching that passes as normal in this culture is a perfect storm for viral transmission.

The total lack of personal space in Korea - a characteristic that is unrivaled  anywhere else on the planet  - ensured that the number of infections mushroomed at a rate beyond any other country. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:04:04 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 09:44:34 am »
Talking of precautions, its almost impossible to avoid body contact with Koreans.

If you do not move out of their way they will walk into you.

Even if you do move out of their way, they still adjust their trajectory to veer into your path like a heat-seeking missile.

The amount of bumping, prodding, shoving, brushing up against and general touching that passes as normal in this culture is a perfect storm for viral transmission.

The total lack of personal space in Korea - a characteristic that is unrivaled  anywhere else on the planet  - ensured that the number of infections mushroomed at a rate beyond any other country. 

Laughed at this. It's so true. With a population of about 511 people/sq. km. Korea is very crowded. That number is most likely inaccurate as it takes into account the total population of the country and the total sq. km's and something like 70% of the country is too mountainous to live.

Couple the above with the seemingly complete lack of what I consider normal hygienic politeness: cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough and you have a perfect storm of contagion outbreak. It's no wonder the  virus has spread so fast there.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 12:49:17 pm »
The overwhelming majority are due to the Shincheonji cult. It rapidly spread in Italy as well, in far less dense circumstances.

Korea hater logic: "Koreans are stupid, those masks don't do anything. Also, covering your mouth with your hand is as effective as having an astronaut's helmet over your head."

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 03:23:56 pm »
Masks are useless. Wearing them may give you some piece of mind, but that's it. They do nothing.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 03:31:38 pm »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 06:01:03 pm »
Why is it that DM thinks that anyone who doesn't share his undying love for all things Korean and his rose-tinted glasses, is a Korean hater?

Wonder how many other countries he has visited? Perhaps if he travelled a bit he would realize that Korea isn't the center of the Universe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:03:36 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 07:24:24 pm »
...hmmm...do be or not to be.

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 07:28:34 pm »
Or maybe some of us don't have the mindset of "Let's go to a country and evaluate them based on how they make me feel" Let's view the people there as individuals, try to make some friends. There will be ups and downs, but its part of the adventure. Do your best to adapt. Try to understand why they do things the way they do. Respect them, etc.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »
Or maybe some of us don't have the mindset of "Let's go to a country and evaluate them based on how they make me feel" Let's view the people there as individuals, try to make some friends. There will be ups and downs, but its part of the adventure. Do your best to adapt. Try to understand why they do things the way they do. Respect them, etc.

Dam, pettifogger......if Koreans only did the same thing(s) you just suggested, in the countries they go live and don't assimilate in. 

Keep going though...what is your next excuse?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:03:20 pm by NorthStar »

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 01:01:06 am »
Masks are useless. Wearing them may give you some piece of mind, but that's it. They do nothing.

I agree they're not fully effective. But they have some effect.

But by the simple laws of physics they do form a barrier and they do block a certain amount.

Are you telling me that if someone sneezes into your face, that a face mask is not going to block some of those droplets?

For health care workers caring for people with influenza, surgical-type masks may help block respiratory droplets carrying influenza germs and transmission of germs from the hands to the mouth.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/swine-flu/expert-answers/flu-mask/faq-20057878

Even the CDC does not always give correct information. Sometimes you have to use common sense.

Besides, it is good as a foreigner to be seen to be helping the situation. If you don't wear a mask you will appear arrogant, like you know better or are some exceptional person that doesn't need to follow rules like everyone else. Thats a bs attitude to have.

Quote from: DeMartino
Or maybe some of us don't have the mindset of "Let's go to a country and evaluate them based on how they make me feel"

This is often the approach of entitled millenials...

Catch my drift?

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 02:51:00 am »
There is justifiable worry but largely the panic is coming from its novelty and the rate at which it has spread. The precautions being taken don't hurt, though.

They do hurt, though....they hurt the economy.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 10:03:53 am »
In the face of scarcity, some people have opted to make their own masks and sanitizers, while retailers have introduced some products that are out of the ordinary, such as an “anti-coronavirus hat” and “anti-coronavirus glasses.”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200305000625

Most anti-coronavirus hats sold on- and offline cost between 10,000 won ($8.40) and 20,000 won, and take the form of bucket hats with clear plastic barriers attached at the bottom that resemble bee veils.

Among the other fashion items spurred by the novel coronavirus are hoodies with transparent plastic sheets that cover the wearer’s face and mask-caps with a small fastener on each side where a mask can be attached.

Kim Hwa-hee, 28, recently started wearing safety glasses because the exact route of transmission for COVID-19 remains unclear.

“I bought the glasses online to completely root out the possibility of catching the virus. I saw (somewhere) online that contraction is possible through the eyes and there are many patients whose infection route is unknown,” Kim said to The Korea Herald.

“Though it makes me feel better, the glasses are definitely uncomfortable because sometimes it gets moist. But I like it. It has brought peace of mind.”

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 01:12:43 pm »
Dam, pettifogger......if Koreans only did the same thing(s) you just suggested, in the countries they go live and don't assimilate in. 

Keep going though...what is your next excuse?

I'm not speaking for Koreans, I'm speaking for myself and I'm speaking to the individuals about their attitudes.

You are the one who decided to make this all ethnic. If there were some Koreans up in here making a ruckus, then I'd call them out.