Read 1640 times

Are all of these Covid-19 precautions worth it?
« on: March 02, 2020, 02:21:24 pm »
So many businesses, including language academies are temporarily closing down over fear of the Corona virus. But is the financial impact of all this worth it?

Death rates (and keep in mind that this includes all countries impacted and Korea has a much better rate of recovery/fewer deaths) are below 0.2% of those aged 10-39. 0.4% of those 40-49 years of age and no fatalities of those who are newborn to 9 years of age.

Eventually schools will have to reopen...even if they delay it till the end of March (a possibility I believe) but unless the virus is erradicated (no chance in that time frame) then once schools/ universities start up again there will certainly be a spike in those who contract the virus. So what's the point of all this?

I understand those who have compromised immune systems and the very old seperating themselves from the general populace....but are all of these other precautions really necessary? Aren't we just delaying the inevitable? And in the meantime businesses are suffering as well individuals who have a loss of income yet still have bills to pay.

Wear masks and wash hands as often as possible. If you feel ill....get checked and stay away from others as much as possible.  Schools, businesses and government can try to disinfect as much as possible...but imo life should just go on as usual.

Another point....I've heard from foreign hagwon and study room owners saying they have to close because of the blow back they would get from moms if they stayed open. The bad reputation could cripple their businesses. Just how insane is that?? It's entirely up to the parents whether their child attends or not. Just make a point of showing the lengths you are willing to go to disinfect your study area, take temperatures, ensure hands are being sanitized and wear masks. No need to close (unless there aren't enough students to make it worthwhile) just give discounts to those parents who don't want to send their kids.

It's all lunacy I say.....we are in effect prolonging the outbreak and causing pretty dire financial consequences for many. All for something that seems to be less dangerous than a flu.

As I'm off work indefinitely over this and don't get paid if I don't work so I'm actually hoping I catch it and get it over with. With my luck my job will start back up in a week or 2 (I work part time and do privates) and once exposed to the kiddies will probably end up getting sick so that will be 3+ weeks of no income.
My wife will kill me if I actually do try to get sick though lol. So will do my best to avoid it.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: Are all of these Covid-19 precautions worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 02:24:55 pm »
My wife will kill me if I actually do try to get sick though lol. So will do my best to avoid it.

you answered your own question

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:53:52 pm »
All the precautions are worth it because we still don't quite know what we're dealing with so until we get a good handle on it, we should try and slow it down as much as possible.

I do think at some point this might get "normalized" but we aren't at the point where we can do that yet.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 03:26:09 pm »
All the precautions are worth it because we still don't quite know what we're dealing with so until we get a good handle on it, we should try and slow it down as much as possible.

I do think at some point this might get "normalized" but we aren't at the point where we can do that yet.

Perhaps you're right...but I think once schools are back in session the numbers of infected will skyrocket anyway.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:02:17 pm »
The utter lack of foresight I fail to comprehend is that of the Korean public school teachers. They're required to be at work, yet their kids aren't meant to go to school. Does the government expect every public school teacher, with a child, to find a babysitter for the next 3 weeks (a massive inconvenience and another infection risk)? 

I'm aware that there's a lot of <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> going on in schools, with some teachers staying home, but make it official!
Just close schools for everyone till March 23rd, for God's sake.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 04:09:47 pm »
The utter lack of foresight I fail to comprehend is that of the Korean public school teachers. They're required to be at work, yet their kids aren't meant to go to school. Does the government expect every public school teacher, with a child, to find a babysitter for the next 3 weeks (a massive inconvenience and another infection risk)? 

I'm aware that there's a lot of <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> going on in schools, with some teachers staying home, but make it official!
Just close schools for everyone till March 23rd, for God's sake.

This is all being done ad hoc. They have to figure things out with teachers unions and deal with various bureaucratic measures. All while the government is dealing with issues from 20 other sectors. First you announce it, give it legal basis, then you can get the other matters sorted out in 48-72 hours.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 06:02:02 pm »
There is also an important political event mid April.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 06:58:04 pm »
They're required to be at work, yet their kids aren't meant to go to school. Does the government expect every public school teacher, with a child, to find a babysitter for the next 3 weeks (a massive inconvenience and another infection risk)? 

The same is true for millions of parents around the country, not just public school teachers. You are right though that at least in the case of teachers, the problem could be easily solved.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:00:39 pm by Lazio »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 07:12:30 pm »
A LOT of Korean housewives don't work.

If they do, the kid will be sent to live with grandparents or other relatives I guess.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 07:21:44 pm »
A LOT of Korean housewives don't work.

If they do, the kid will be sent to live with grandparents or other relatives I guess.

This CoronaVirus is really messing with their ability to go shopping and gossip with other moms.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 04:14:39 am »
Death rates (and keep in mind that this includes all countries impacted and Korea has a much better rate of recovery/fewer deaths) are below 0.2% of those aged 10-39.

But obviously this age group can still spread the virus to anyone else including their grandmothers or aunts and uncles.

Thus any school that stays open risks getting a bad reputation for profiteering by being potential spreaders of covid 19. What happens if a student gets infected then passes it to his grandpa who then dies? Do you think that business will have a future?

how insane is that?? It's entirely up to the parents whether their child attends or not.

Sure, but the point is that no matter how many precautions they try, schools are still likely to act as virus vectors so staying open indicates a lack of responsibility to the community

Aren't we just delaying the inevitable?

infection rates are dropping in China. There are signs that it can be contained, if people keep taking the correct measures.

And in the meantime businesses are suffering as well individuals who have a loss of income yet still have bills to pay.

government is injecting billions into holding up the economy including e.g. subsidizing rents.

Maybe you exist on privates.. but most don't and catching covid is hardly going to endear you to your employer.

imo life should just go on as usual.

..which would spread the virus even faster. To be honest when I see guys walking around without masks now they look like idiots.

Come on, you've been in Korea long enough to know... that If foreigners act as if they don't care and are seen to take no precautions then it will not be received well. What would you think now if you were back home and saw a group of arrogant-looking Chinese walking the streets without face masks? perceptions matter.

I'm actually hoping I catch it and get it over with

people are testing positive again after recovery. When can you be sure it will be "over"?

All for something that seems to be less dangerous than a flu.

I think its a bit more serious than the flu.

This virus is hardly pleasant, sufferers report high fever and difficulty breathing. Sure you want that?

It has a 3.4% kill rate. If the entire South Korean population gets exposed, that is potentially 1.7M deaths.
Catch my drift?

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 05:23:36 am »
Come on now, only over 40s should be concerned.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 07:05:13 am »
Coronavirus fatality rate stands at 0.6% in S. Korea

That's less than 1%.

About one in two hundred.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 07:57:29 am »
The problem is that many people do not display the symptoms especially if they are young and healthy but as has been said, that doesn't stop them from spreading it to older folk. So, yes the precautions are worth it.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 08:11:44 am »
The problem is that many people do not display the symptoms especially if they are young and healthy but as has been said, that doesn't stop them from spreading it to older folk. So, yes the precautions are worth it.
The number I keep seeing is like 80% show mild, or no, symptoms. So, for all we know like half the population could have it, but if you're not showing any symptoms you're probably not going to get tested and unknowingly spread it around.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 08:53:05 am »
Coronavirus fatality rate stands at 0.6% in S. Korea

That's less than 1%.

About one in two hundred.

You don't know what the virus will do though, its early days.

With the Spanish Flu of 1918 the first wave was practically harmless, most people recovered fine.

Then it mutated and came on in a second wave which was devastating, killing people within hours. Not saying I want that to happen of course.

It also disproportionately targeted young people, in the prime of life and hardly affected the old or very young.
Catch my drift?

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 09:41:54 am »
People were in bad shape because of World War I.

And back then most of the world lived in extreme poverty.

Thanks to globalization, living standards have improved dramatically.

More wealth for the average person, more hygiene, more knowledge, and medical advancements.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 09:46:52 am »
According to The New York Times, during the pandemic, Boy Scouts in New York City approached people they’d seen spitting on the street and gave them cards that read: “You are in violation of the Sanitary Code.”

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 10:14:20 am »
It's all lunacy I say.....we are in effect prolonging the outbreak

It's done to spread the demand on hospital care to ensure that as many people as possible can receive the care they might need. For instance, in Italy patients are placed in tents first and only if they develop complications they are moved inside the ic units.
incumbo studiis

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 10:28:54 am »
According to The New York Times, during the pandemic, Boy Scouts in New York City approached people they’d seen spitting on the street and gave them cards that read: “You are in violation of the Sanitary Code.”

Nice.

I think I'd laugh if I saw them do that to some old ajosshi in Korea.

Although this pandemic has probably finally changed Koreans into a people that put their hands over their mouth when they cough. 
Catch my drift?