Read 3084 times

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
Re: What precautions are you taking against coronavirus?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2020, 02:42:22 pm »
After meetings at work where we kept a 1,5 m. distance, empty trains and tourists in gloves and masks, came home to see all the old folks happily clumped together on the sidewalk while taking a stroll in the afternoon, they just don't care enough yet to stay indoors.
incumbo studiis

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2020, 03:51:10 pm »
There are times where you might be right, but there are other times where people are obstinate purely out of a combination of stubbornness, arrogance, and a desperate desire for attention and significance in their life.

How to tell the difference? According to dmart  it's simple.  If a foreigner is doing it it's stubbornness or arrogance.  If it's Koreans they're being socially responsible. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:24 pm »
Re:  Toilet paper

Apparently a factory in China shut down due to lack of healthy labour, causing a local shortage.  Australia imports from China, so this started panic buying there. The rest is just due to the fact that half of the members of society are stupid.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 05:38:30 pm »
Re:  Toilet paper

Apparently a factory in China shut down due to lack of healthy labour, causing a local shortage.  Australia imports from China, so this started panic buying there. The rest is just due to the fact that half of the members of society are stupid.

Guess outsourcing wasn't such a great idea.

That said, this virus will die out and amount to nothing soon enough.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 05:46:33 pm »
“The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.” -Rush Limbaugh

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2020, 07:55:28 am »
Staying at home, mostly.
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2020, 08:24:28 am »
“The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.” -Rush Limbaugh

The guy's got terminal cancer hasn't he? Probably has a different perspective on things.

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2020, 08:25:37 am »
When you move house in Korea and when people visit for the first time, they bring massive bags of toilets rolls.  Maybe, the non-panic buying of toilet roll in the supermarkets is because of this.  Koreans foresaw this problem.  Spooky, innit?  Just saying..

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2020, 09:37:40 am »
That said, this virus will die out and amount to nothing soon enough.

IF people work hard to distance themselves from others. Hopefully it's not too late.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2020, 09:59:52 am »
Didn't you read Martino's posts explaining how Trump's lies, insults, braggadocio and misinformation are all a super clever linguistic strategy, understood only by a select elite (or anti-elite, or something - well, Trump says they're the real elite, but they hate the elite, but anyway...).

Trump makes an active choice to sound like an uninformed, narcissistic gasbag. He could come across as educated, articulate and responsible, but a President's top priority should be trolling Anderson Cooper, and he consistently makes that admirable choice.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:47 am »
When you move house in Korea and when people visit for the first time, they bring massive bags of toilets rolls.  Maybe, the non-panic buying of toilet roll in the supermarkets is because of this.  Koreans foresaw this problem.  Spooky, innit?  Just saying..

We moved about a year ago, but still have TP left. Even though we also gifted away some of it.

But I don't get this panic buying of toilet paper. As long as you have water running from the taps... And when there is no water, you got bigger things to worry about than cleaning your arse.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 12:50:45 pm »
We moved about a year ago, but still have TP left. Even though we also gifted away some of it.

But I don't get this panic buying of toilet paper. As long as you have water running from the taps... And when there is no water, you got bigger things to worry about than cleaning your arse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_uzn1Iolk

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 01:42:50 pm »
Didn't you read Martino's posts explaining how Trump's lies, insults, braggadocio and misinformation are all a super clever linguistic strategy, understood only by a select elite (or anti-elite, or something - well, Trump says they're the real elite, but they hate the elite, but anyway...).

Trump makes an active choice to sound like an uninformed, narcissistic gasbag. He could come across as educated, articulate and responsible, but a President's top priority should be trolling Anderson Cooper, and he consistently makes that admirable choice.
Unlike some people on this board, Trump has figured out that people's opinions are essentially shaped and formed by the news media, primarily in what stories they choose to emphasize and the framing/tone of those stories. Unfortunately something like 80% of the population, on both sides, thinks this doesn't happen to them because their outlets of choice only report the facts while believing the other outlets are gobbled up by rubes.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2020, 03:10:37 pm »
Unlike some people on this board, Trump has figured out that people's opinions are essentially shaped and formed by the news media, primarily in what stories they choose to emphasize and the framing/tone of those stories. Unfortunately something like 80% of the population, on both sides, thinks this doesn't happen to them because their outlets of choice only report the facts while believing the other outlets are gobbled up by rubes.

I'm going to address this really bluntly, hopefully for the last time. Many of your attempts to defend the indefensible involve using the special Scott Adams Secret Decoder Ring to patronisingly explain how Trump is communicating directly to his fan base and breaking the rules of media decorum. We know. Critics of Trump are not making the case that he is ineffective at messaging to his loyalists. He is good at that. No one is arguing that Tucker Carlson won't think "Chinese virus" is cute, or that we expect the "Go make me a burrito!" guy in the MAGA hat to spend Saturdays on Politifact, researching the veracity of Trump's claims. When critics of Trump point out his self-dealing, narcissistic venality, it is should be obvious that we are not arguing that it offends 100% of the population. We are arguing that, say, in a press conference, surrounded by other world leaders, using that time to lie, insult, brag, praise dictators and spread misinformation are fundamentally bad for the country, and the world. Shifting the goalposts to "but his supporters like it, and it puts the smackdown on Chuck Todd", doesn't justify any of it. We're talking about his competence in governance and his character as a person, not his ability to keep a MAGA party hype.

There is only one sane response to this:

Jan. 22 -
We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It's going to be just fine.

Feb. 2 -
We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.

Feb. 26 (via Twitter):
Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!

Mar. 17: 
I’ve always known this is a real — this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.

That response looks something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWWzpBbmwY

Or this (from a Republican):

Some of these mistakes are less serious and more understandable than others. One has to take into account that in government, when people are forced to make important decisions based on incomplete information in a compressed period of time, things go wrong.

Yet in some respects, the avalanche of false information from the president has been most alarming of all. It’s been one rock slide after another, the likes of which we have never seen. Day after day after day he brazenly denied reality, in an effort to blunt the economic and political harm he faced. But Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic. There is no one who can do to the coronavirus what Attorney General William Barr did to the Mueller report: lie about it and get away with it.

The president’s misinformation and mendacity about the coronavirus are head-snapping. He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

Trump falsely blamed the Obama administration for impeding coronavirus testing. He stated that the coronavirus first hit the United States later than it actually did. (He said that it was three weeks prior to the point at which he spoke; the actual figure was twice that.) The president claimed that the number of cases in Italy was getting “much better” when it was getting much worse. And in one of the more stunning statements an American president has ever made, Trump admitted that his preference was to keep a cruise ship off the California coast rather than allowing it to dock, because he wanted to keep the number of reported cases of the coronavirus artificially low.

“I like the numbers,” Trump said. “I would rather have the numbers stay where they are. But if they want to take them off, they’ll take them off. But if that happens, all of a sudden your 240 [cases] is obviously going to be a much higher number, and probably the 11 [deaths] will be a higher number too.” (Cooler heads prevailed, and over the president’s objections, the Grand Princess was allowed to dock at the Port of Oakland.)

On and on it goes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/peter-wehner-trump-presidency-over/607969/

This is what we've been arguing all along. That character, intelligence and temperament matter a lot more than the ability to troll libtards.

TL;DR - We're "in on the joke". The joke was never funny.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:53:08 pm by fka »

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2020, 08:24:12 pm »
This is an excellent summary, but you left out one of my favorite examples.

Donald Trump:
I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Everyone of these doctors said how do you know so much about this? Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should’ve done that instead of running for president.

Also Donald Trump:
Does anybody die from the flu? I didn't know people died from the flu.

Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich Trump, die of flu in 1918 during the Spanish flu outbreak, in NY.